PDA

View Full Version : Book Preview (Chapter 5) [Requested]

Devour
08-10-2008, 04:30 PM
This is being posted due to a request as well. Chapter five is currently un-finished.

“That did not just happen. No way. Impossible.” I was thinking to myself. I knew deep down that I had been unconscious for about four hours while the teleporter flew me by itself, but to me, it had seemed instantaneous. I was dizzy from the confusion.
“Everybody come on out,” The general said in a hurry. “Ignore the confusion. We need to see if everybody came here alive.” What the general said made me suddenly remember the risks of coming here. Did Jay make it here alive? I opened the hatch above me and lifted myself out. As soon as I hit the ground I ran, searching pod after pod of dazed men. Searching pod after pod after pod, getting more worried each time. After searching eight-teen teleporters, I finally saw Jay’s pod. Inside, He looked half asleep still, but taking interest at the scenery around him.
Relief flooded inside me, but there was something nagging me inside. When I had been running in Search of Jay, I had in fact only seen eight-teen teleporters, not including Jay’s. Did that mean…? Oh no, somebody didn’t make it here alive. Unwillingly, I pictured myself suffering that soldier’s fate: My insides being crushed into atoms and only a thin layer of my skin still existent, still sleeping half-dead within that chamber. I shuddered as I ran to where I had seen the general’s teleporter. “General, I think we lost somebody.” I gasped to him as soon as I reached his location.
“What? Who?” He asked.
“I don’t know, but I only counted nine-teen teleporters here.”
“Let me see.” The general mumbled as he climbed out of his pod. Slowly turning his head from left to right, he counted the amount of pods which where in the area. A moment later, he cursed to himself and then said, “Not already… we need all the men we can get for this mission.” The general then rounded up all the men to come into a group to identify who was dead. As he quietly did a name-check, we all later found out that the man we had lost was a man from Aarmak’s team.
He had commented, “I know this worthy soldier would rather to die in battle than to die asleep. Rest in peace, James.” As honorable as a life that man had lived, we did not have the time for a funeral. The cave would be opening any minute.
“Alright, everyone.” The general announced. “Connor and his squad will be a group with Rex, Stick, and Lance. Aarmak and his squad will be a group with Vector, Smoke, and Nason. I will be going with Jay, in whichever team he chooses.
“I’ll be with Aarmak.” Jay said. “Jenna, you should go with Connor and his group.”
“Why?” I asked, astonished Jay would suggest me being away from him in a place like this.
“Both of us in one group is too much power.” Jay said, obviously being switched into action. “You should protect the guys who can’t protect themselves as well as you can.”
“Alright,” I said, reluctant. “But lets stay together if we can.” Jay nodded.
“Okay. Both of you now must remember the group you are with just in case we have to split up.” The general said to the group. “Oh, and I almost forgot: Jay and Jenna, here’s some weapons for yourselves.” He bore a small barrage of guns for Jay, which were two rifles of different kinds, a silenced pistol, four grenades, and steel knuckles for both of his hands. After a thanks from Jay, the general walked over to me bearing two Uzis, a sniper rifle, and a crystalline katana with an extendable blade. For all I knew, the general had just handed me the deadliest sword ever made. Practically at the same moment he finished, a huge rumbling sounded echoes throughout the cave. “That’s our cue.” The general said. “Now if the information is correct, we have about two hours to get the box and back. Let’s move, people.”
We headed for the gate, with me following them, of course. In a short time, we had entered the lair itself. Far away like an expanse, were flocks of houses made of mud and rock. We were in an area populated with houses ourselves, but surprisingly, there were barely any. After observing this, my eyes finally fell upon many statues which were laid out across the ground, and were cracked and dusty by time. About time, it was thick in the air, weighing on our shoulders and giving us the impression that this was beyond anything like the ancient Egyptians.
The statues themselves were amazing.
Some of them were figurines of standing gargoyles concealed by hooded cloaks and armed with a scythe and a book in the other hand, as if watching over the people walking below them. The details and accuracy of every part was beyond words. I thought of the time it must have taken to make these. Thousands of years, maybe? Yeah, that would be it.
“Professor, try scanning the symbols on those gargoyles over there.” I heard the General say.
“With pleasure.”
The professor hurried over with his little translator he brought along that could supposedly translate anything, no matter the age or how foreign the symbols were, as long as they made sense. I heard his translation,

“We are the keepers, protectors of the Stone Box. We will guard over you forever, or until it is taken. Take caution, for the Temple is near. It is quick to anger, and its wrath is deadly. If the Box is taken from it, there will be no escape. Only destruction and bloodshed. I warn you once again, stay away.”

I swallowed. “What kind of thing do you think this ‘Temple’ has for us? I mean, these protectors could be long dead by now.”
“Tell that to the engineers.” The general said in explanation, and then was quiet.
We walked for a bit more, with the professor translating nearly ever symbol that he came across. Most of them were names of peo-ple who had helped construct the tomb, but then we came across something interesting. A statue showing a figure of a very detailed image of some sort of monster. It resembled a male vampire, but was completely colored black, yet its eyes seemed to glow. I figured the glowing attributes were created by the same way the Temple had glowed.
“What’s this?” The professor said as he came over to scan the symbols beneath.

“These are one of the many creatures you will encounter if there is a breach within the Temple and the Stone Box is taken. They are agile and strong, and will tear off your head and devour you if you are caught. Stay inside.”

“I guess that might have been what happened to the engin-eers.” Connor suggested unsteadily. “We’d better make sure to kill these things before they get close. Nobody wants to get eaten, do they?”
Nervous laughter sounded.
“Here we are, everyone.” The General announced.
I looked forward, but saw nothing but a drop off that lead into oblivion, but then realized what the he meant, and looked upwards.
And there it was, towering over us like an inconceivably huge circular ball, and impossibly airborne. How could some-thing like this float? There had to be some sort of explanation for how this was possible. However, there didn’t seem to be one.
“This is impossible!” The professor was exclaiming. “Perhaps it is floating by the substance inside the temple that makes it glow, or maybe there is a ventilation system that could be out of our range of sight which is lifting the temple into the air…” The professor continued to babble to himself, trying to so-lve the mystery of how something so huge could be sitting in the middle of the air. I decided that I’d let him do that for me, and I let go of the scientific part of my mind, and accepted that the temple, despite its impossible size—A quarter of the entire lair itself—it was floating.
The general pulled out a small laser-digger which was identical to the ones that the engineers had used to open the hatch. He aimed, and fired at the hatch which was barely visible to me. The laser nicked the corner, but still hit. A few seconds later, the hatch began to drop down.
“All of our best fighters will go first, in case there is something waiting for us at the top. That means Stick, Jay, Jenna, and Vector.” The General explained. “If there is in fact something up there and the Guardians of this place are still awoken, they’ll tell everyone to quickly head back to the telep-orters and resume the mission once again in a month or so.”
“And what about us?” Stick asked.
“I’ll open up the hatch again and you four can try to esc-ape.”
“How comforting.” I heard Jay mumble.
The hatch was now at its lowest point and was waiting for us to hop on.
Getting on was easy, seeing that everyone could make the jump with no problem, but when the hatch started to rise, I couldn’t help thinking that it was going to suddenly drop off into the oblivion below, and never hit the ground.
A few moments later, I was inside of the Temple itself. I heard my companions cock their weapons. I un-sheathed my sword.
“You know, it might not be smart letting those “Guardians” get close up to you…” Vector cautioned.
“Oh, I know what I’m doing.” I returned with a bit of cockiness in my voice.
We stood in silence, each of us facing a different direction with our weapons ready.
A minute passed.
Two minutes.
Stick switched on his radio. “Alright, come on in. It’s safe.”
We all stepped off of where we were standing, and a few moments later, the hatch opened up once again. Another few minutes passed, and another group of people came up into the temple. This process repeated a few times, and then the group which the General was in finally came up.
Now that we were safe for the moment, I took some time to observe my surroundings. Strangely, there was in fact light. After a moment, I realized that it came from the many cracks throughout the temple. From the walls I could see, there were symbols lined up from the ground to the roof, which was so high up that I could barely make it out.
The general had a small flashlight out, along with a small GPS that had the coordinates in which the engineers had found the Stone Box or whatever it was called.
“The box we’re looking for should be a few hundred feet away.” He said, his voice slightly excited. Ready for the coming action. “Everyone, remember that as soon as that thing moves, it’ll send those Guardians after us. We don’t know how many there could be.” The General reminded us about some important things that we had to do, as well as what we should do if we fell behind or got wounded. I was listening, but my bounty hunter training told me to stay alert and watch everything around us. As we walked, my eyes fell upon a small glint of something reflect-ing from a thin beam of light.
A tripwire.
“General, look out!” I shouted. But it was too late.
As he stepped over the wire, I expected him to trip over and hit the ground, or some sort of spike pit to open up underneath us, but the string snapped.
“Look out for what?” The general asked, alert for any trouble that might be coming.
“Uh,” I stuttered, “There was a tripwire underneath you, but it snapped. The traps are probably not working any more cause of age.” Just as I finished saying this, I heard a small twang sim-ilar to a bow being fired, and a split second later, I felt something whizz so close to my ear that I felt small feathers in the back of what had passed by. At the same time, I heard many more twangs coming in a rapid succession. “Darts!” I yelled. “Every-body get low and run forward!”
I followed my own advice. Covering the sides of my head with my hands, I ran for everything I was worth. In other words, I quickly exited the area in which the trap was placed.
Don’t call me a deserter or anything, but what could I do? There were flying darts coming from the walls in which I couldn’t even see. No matter how fast my reflexes are, I don’t think I cou-ld have done anything good in that situation. Jay however, he was covering the front of his face, but with the help of his shift-able steel suit, he could use himself as a human shield, protect-ing the General.
There were some grunts of pain from darts nicking some of the soldiers and commandos, but it seemed that everybody made it through the trap alive.
“Okay… That was quite an adventure.” The General said mostly to himself.
I came over to where Jay was standing. He was pulling out darts which were surprisingly halfway through his suit.
“How could darts actually penetrate that thing?” I asked as if he could explain.
“Well, I bet that that this is very sharp metal, but I don’t know any more than you do about it.” He said, attempting to solve my confusion.