PDA

View Full Version : What language should I take?

GunsnArmor
03-11-2008, 07:17 AM
My mom asked me if I wanted to start learning a language for the up-coming school year, and I said yes. Theres only these four choices: French, German, Latin and Spanish. I'm basing my choice off of how useful it will be for me in the future, the benefits of it. I heard France was pretty nice, I might want to go there sometime. What do you think?

.Aklemo.
03-11-2008, 07:21 AM
German .

‹berschall
03-11-2008, 07:28 AM
German .

LakE
03-11-2008, 07:36 AM
German .

German .

What they said.

Chunky
03-11-2008, 07:41 AM
I take German, and it's easier than you would think. It starts hard, but then it suddenly clicks and you get most of it like that.

ultramega
03-11-2008, 08:23 AM
German .

GunsnArmor
03-11-2008, 09:46 AM
I forgot to mention, I wanted you guys to say WHY I should go with what language. What are the benefits of learning german, other than it's "easy".

‹berschall
03-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Because then you understand what all those Bierzelt Restaurant menues say.

Doomdooer
03-11-2008, 10:12 AM
I'ma gonna say Latin.
Why?
Because it's the root of so many different languages.

If you learn Latin, you basically have an understanding of French, Spanish, and several other languages.
It's like a 4-for-1 deal.

‹berschall
03-11-2008, 10:16 AM
No, not at all. That doesn't work, my mum learned latin and can't speak a word of French or Spanish.

Mantha
03-11-2008, 10:23 AM
To me, German is not easy. And from what I hear, French isn't either.

If you want the easiest, it's Spanish.

Latin is the root language indeed, but rather useless, if you don't go studying law or medicine.

Doomdooer
03-11-2008, 10:33 AM
No, not at all. That doesn't work, my mum learned latin and can't speak a word of French or Spanish.

Uhh, you can't really draw conclusions from just one anecdotal piece of evidence.

First of all, Latin is the ROOT of the romantic languages (French, Spanish, etc.) so it must have the same basic structure as those languages.

Second, I have studied Latin, albiet not for long, but I can easily pick out a plethera of words and phrases in both Spanish and French that I never knew before.

It's true.

‹berschall
03-11-2008, 10:54 AM
No, Latin doesn't have the same structure as all the other romanic languages, it's structure fairly differs from french and afaik, also from Spanish.

Doomdooer
03-11-2008, 10:57 AM
No, Latin doesn't have the same structure as all the other romanic languages, it's structure fairly differs from french and afaik, also from Spanish.

uhm, no?
Have you ever tried speaking in Latin?
It's amazingly like French, just without the greater accent on the lip movements.

Raffi
03-11-2008, 10:59 AM
I don't know about Spanish, but German is a good language. SO is French, but I don't know about that either (I speak fluent-ish French, how would I know?).

‹berschall
03-11-2008, 11:18 AM
uhm, no?
Have you ever tried speaking in Latin?
It's amazingly like French, just without the greater accent on the lip movements.

But it's certainly not true that someone who can speak latin can speak any other romanian language automaticly. You still need to learn any other, which is why learning latin is a waste of time.
Learn either French or German. I wouldn't recommend french because I find it very hard to get, but that might be because of it's huge differences from German. French however is a very common language all over the world.

LN3uq
03-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Everyone I know who has taken latin says it blows.

I'd say spanish, it's not that hard, and there are tons of countries that speak it. With all the mexicans living in the us now, it could come in handy too.

Scorpioxxx
03-11-2008, 02:36 PM
French and German are both hard (in my opinion), but when I dropped one I dropped German, never tried latin and I learned minimal spanish while I was over there for a few months. I'd just go with the more popular language for the area of the world you live in/plan to live in if I were you.

GunsnArmor
03-11-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm surprised I'm the only one that voted for french.

I guess France isn't what it's all hyped up to be, eh?

MonsterBreath12
03-11-2008, 03:13 PM
i'd say spanish, cause its ****ing easy, i learned how to speak spanish since the age of 3.

latin would also be pretty cool, but french is not that simple.

sa me pris presque 2 anne a parle le francais tabernac morceau de merde.

Gavel
03-11-2008, 03:15 PM
I don't like Spanish that much but it may be quite useful if, say, you wanted to take up a job at somewhere like Disney or something. Because there are more spics in America than French Fries right now.

And Latin is a dead language, so that's pretty much a no brainer.

Lol we have a Japanese course in our school.

MonsterBreath12
03-11-2008, 03:22 PM
aww niggaz right.

this made me think of something, do most people hate cause im a spic?

‹berschall
03-11-2008, 03:25 PM
i'd say spanish, cause its ****ing easy, i learned how to speak spanish since the age of 3.

latin would also be pretty cool, but french is not that simple.

sa me pris presque 2 anne a parle le francais tabernac morceau de merde.

Of course you find spanish easy WHEN YOURE SPEAKING IT FOR ALL YOUR LIFE

GunsnArmor
03-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Pffft, English is easy. I aced that in one childhood.

MonsterBreath12
03-11-2008, 03:38 PM
heh, yeah.

and uber, i don't speak as well as before cause ive been in this ****ing french school since the age of 4.

Cosmonaut
03-11-2008, 04:49 PM
aww niggaz right.

this made me think of something, do most people hate cause im a spic?
I hate you 'cause your a spic. ****in beaner, why don't you and your 32 cousins go back to mexico?

Learn spanish, the spics are taking over america so you might as well know the language.

Smashdood
03-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Spamish is the most useful, really. Besides, the French AP test is some totally insane shit, if you were planning to go that far with it.

‹berschall
03-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Depends. Spanish might be useful for everyday life, but for business life, French is a lot more useful.

ken
03-11-2008, 05:40 PM
I think you should take spanish. To me I think it's pretty easy, but in the end it's really your choice.

Dudeman
03-11-2008, 05:50 PM
I'ma gonna say Latin.
Why?

If you learn Latin, you basically have an understanding of French, Spanish, and several other languages.

Agreed. Latin is really impressive. You can basically break down almost any french word (except for slang).

Other then that, I'd say French. It's a pretty widespread language that you can use to pick up chics.

Gavel
03-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Agreed. Latin is really impressive. You can basically break down almost any french word (except for slang).

Other then that, I'd say French. It's a pretty widespread language that you can use to pick up chics.

You can use Spanish to pick up Spanish chicks. Next to black girls, they have the nicest asses.

Cereal Man
03-11-2008, 06:19 PM
C. Kidding, German.

Index
03-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Spanish, in my opinion.

Fr0zEnPh0eNiX
03-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Learn Latin, once you have that you have the base of all romantic languages...

Trust me, plus Latin is AWESOME

edit: I'm kinda bias though, I intend to learn Latin myself because its.. so useful. Since most of the other languages you could possibly learn derive from it really gives you an edge if you intend to learn a few more languages... and hell, if you can, why not?

SSOutPhase
03-11-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm takin Japanese. It'll help in a way because I'm into technology. You kno those asian animators!

I HATE spanish with a passion so I'm not takin that. It'll be good to learn for a good job. So I guess it depends on what you plan on for a career.

‹berschall
03-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Learn Latin, once you have that you have the base of all romantic languages...

Trust me, plus Latin is AWESOME

edit: I'm kinda bias though, I intend to learn Latin myself because its.. so useful. Since most of the other languages you could possibly learn derive from it really gives you an edge if you intend to learn a few more languages... and hell, if you can, why not?

You have the basics, yes. But you don't have the language. You still have to learn any other language individually, although it will be easier, it still takes the same time. Also it's not like the structure of German, French or Spanish and Latin would be exactely the same.

So if you really want to learn a language for your carrier purposes, I wouldn't pick latin. You can learn other languages faster but you might as well start with the other language, seeing as latin is sort of a waste of time because nobody speaks it anymore and unless you plan on a medical or law carrier, you won't need much more than the few words of latin that you know from everyday-use.

Gavel
03-11-2008, 07:06 PM
You have the basics, yes. But you don't have the language. You still have to learn any other language individually, although it will be easier, it still takes the same time. Also it's not like the structure of German, French or Spanish and Latin would be exactely the same.

German isn't a Romantic language.

‹berschall
03-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Yes, typo. But French is, Italian is, Spanish is (I believe) and you can't magically speak those as soon as you learn latin.

Gavel
03-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Yes, typo. But French is, Italian is, Spanish is (I believe) and you can't magically speak those as soon as you learn latin.
Yeah, but what I think he and DoD are trying to say is that if you learn the root language, it will make it easier to memorize vocabulary since the terms are similar.

‹berschall
03-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah and that's true, but it's propabely a waste of time, unless he wants to learn several romantic languages. You'll still have to learn any other language individually, so it's better to just learn that language, as latin is utterly useless apart from that.

If, however, you want to learn several romantic languages, it might be worth learning latin.

StrunG
03-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Yeah and that's true, but it's propabely a waste of time, unless he wants to learn several romantic languages. You'll still have to learn any other language individually, so it's better to just learn that language, as latin is utterly useless apart from that.

If, however, you want to learn several romantic languages, it might be worth learning latin.

Yeah, but it helps you understand many of the words of other languages. If you were taking a vacation in France or Spain, you would most likely be able to understand the basic idea of what people are saying because you recognize a few words. Obviously, it's not always the case because of words being bogged down by accents, but it could be helpful at times.

Anyways, I wouldn't recommend German because you're most likely not going to have any practical use for it unless you're taking a vacation there. I chose French which was probably pretty biased, because the only reason that I took it is because my entire family on my mom's side speaks fluently and many of them live in France. It's really up to you as to what you're going to chose, but you should chose the one that you think will be most useful to you.

‹berschall
03-11-2008, 08:22 PM
German is a very strong language in business but indeed, french is more important, it's stance as a language propabely is right behind english.

Dinomut
03-11-2008, 09:33 PM
If this is the only language youre going to learn, then i'd say French, because it will help you a lot in Europe then to know english and spanish or english and german. But if you are going to learn others, than latin.
You can easily learn French, Italian, and Spanish if you know latin. I have latin as a class in my school and i can vaguely understand spanish signs now, without ever taking spanish

Schwa
03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Spanish bar-none will be the most useful language.

I think, it's the third most spoken language in the world next to English and Chinese.

It's easy to learn.

And with all of the illegal mexicans taking over the country when you go to see a guy about a fish it could help.

ultramega
03-11-2008, 10:24 PM
German isn't that easy to learn. But it's a good language to know.

Kveyo
03-12-2008, 12:06 AM
espanyole amigo

Enfirno
03-12-2008, 12:20 AM
German was pretty easy for me, as it is similar to English.

‹berschall
03-12-2008, 11:46 AM
English originated in German, kinda.

Doomdooer
03-12-2008, 12:18 PM
English originated in German, kinda.

Well, sort of. As far as I know, original English was a combination of romantic languages and the German Provinces languages.

‹berschall
03-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Those saxons wen't over to settle on the unsettled british isle at least 100 years ago and carried the language there. Yeah and then many other languages influenced it.

MonsterBreath12
03-12-2008, 02:03 PM
I hate you 'cause your a spic. ****in beaner, why don't you and your 32 cousins go back to mexico?

Learn spanish, the spics are taking over america so you might as well know the language.

Do i know you ?

elite34
03-12-2008, 02:08 PM
I'ma gonna say Latin.
Why?

Ya I have to agree. I wish my school hat latin :[ We only have Spanish and Italian(I take Italian)

‹berschall
03-12-2008, 02:10 PM
VENDETTA VENDETTAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAAA

snoerkl
03-12-2008, 02:11 PM
well I am from germany, but since i picked latin and I like it more than german (well you don't really learn speaking german in germany at german ;DDD) i rated for latin.
You have to learn a lot of forms but you'll understand your own language a lot better cause many words come out of latin and (old) greek. Well and if you don't want to take latin pick german, though I heard it is pretty hard to learn for foreign-language people

Vervanda
03-12-2008, 03:11 PM
i didnt even know people could learn latin.

JukeJuke
03-12-2008, 08:02 PM
OP, take Spanish. Spanish is easier, if you apply yourself.

Big Bang
03-13-2008, 09:09 PM
French is the gay (voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir. That's all you need to learn to go to France and get laid. Well, skip the ce soir, unless you're gay), you will never learn spanish good enough that latinos won't bother you for it, latin is useless unless you're the pope or are into the crossword business.

Go with German.

Orion
03-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Im learning German im in my second year.

Its pretty fun.

Kitsune
03-13-2008, 09:58 PM
German can be fun. It really depends upon the teachers. German is really close to english except the word order. I'm signing up for German 4 next year. Es kann spass machen, aber vielleicht kann es auch langweilig sein.

I am not that good yet.

You only need 2-3 language courses in america for most colleges.

Apples
03-14-2008, 08:32 PM
German is quite an easy language.

Gavel
03-14-2008, 08:37 PM
you will never learn spanish good enough that latinos won't bother you for it
Geez, so negative. We can't all be multilingual like you >:[

I think it depends on the teaching method you use. If you get the generic Spanish class where all you're doing everyday is constantly getting new Spanish terms drilled into your head where the teacher expects you to actually memorize it all, then you probably won't learn it. If you get a white teacher who's only experience with Latinos is with her landscapers (much like my school's Spanish teacher) you probably won't learn it either.

Scarecrow
03-14-2008, 09:12 PM
German is a lot easier to learn then the rest of the choices if you speak english.

The grammar is pretty similar.

Also, Germany is cool.

go in october

;)