PDA

View Full Version : Can a 2-D Sidescroller work?

Strelok
12-05-2008, 07:59 PM
See my thread in main. I want to try it (mainly because I'm too scared to try 3-D.) but I have no idea if it's even possible. Obviously it won't be a shiny super-mario-esque speedy thing, and I probably won't even make a jump button. It's going to be realistic, no LOLSHINYSTARINVINCIBILITY. I just don't think it's an emmersive enough gameplay type.

Also, before someone asks, GM7.

American Patriot
12-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Too many things will be in view at a single time, so no scares will really be possible unless they are suddenly popping out of the background.

Strelok
12-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Too many things will be in view at a single time, so no scares will really be possible unless they are suddenly popping out of the background.

It's obviously not going to be bright. You probably wouldn't even notice an object unless you had your flashlight on it.

Exile
12-05-2008, 08:27 PM
That means you'd have to rely on screamers, which I hate.

Strelok
12-05-2008, 08:31 PM
That means you'd have to rely on screamers, which I hate.

No, not at all. Of course I will use them, but sparingly.

Bonk
12-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Game Maker...

Uuuuugh.

Maybe if it was pitch black, and the only way to see was the flashlight, it might be scary. Limiting what you can see is the key.

Strelok
12-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Game Maker...

Uuuuugh.

Maybe if it was pitch black, and the only way to see was the flashlight, it might be scary. Limiting what you can see is the key.

Not pitch dark, I would believe that seeing just a glimpse of something moving would scare someone more than not seeing anything at all.

Myself
12-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Don't use screamers. That'd be gay. Use like darkness, and good ambiance, and like things creeping around where you only just make them out and shit.

Strelok
12-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Don't use screamers. That'd be gay. Use like darkness, and good ambiance, and like things creeping around where you only just make them out and shit.

Sort of like what I just said?

It's silly not to have SOME screamers in a horror game. They get the player more anxious and increase the heart rate.

Scarecrow
12-05-2008, 11:31 PM
I don't really think a side scroller would work, but that's just my opinion. It sounds like you're gonna need some creepy music though, want me to try and come up with something?

Strelok
12-05-2008, 11:37 PM
I don't really think a side scroller would work, but that's just my opinion. It sounds like you're gonna need some creepy music though, want me to try and come up with something?

Absolutely, but you don't need to rush it. I'm not even expecting this to be done for a looooong while. I haven't even downloaded GM yet.

Don't be mad if I choose not to use it though, please. Sometimes you just have to be exact and I've always wanted to actually try making a song by myself.

Dudeman
12-05-2008, 11:39 PM
If you have some quick and scary enemies, then yes.

It's all about atmosphere and sound. If you don't think you can pull that off, I would just not bother making it at all.

Strelok
12-05-2008, 11:41 PM
If you have some quick and scary enemies, then yes.

It's all about atmosphere and sound. If you don't think you can pull that off, I would just not bother making it at all.

Of course I'm going to have fast enemies.

I think I can do it, cornily enough.

Myself
12-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Sort of like what I just said?

It's silly not to have SOME screamers in a horror game. They get the player more anxious and increase the heart rate.

Yeah. But they'd be really easy to over do.

2-D
12-06-2008, 01:16 AM
i don't think I could get scared from a 2-D side scrolling game.
and i'm a pussy when it comes to horror games.

Strelok
12-06-2008, 08:07 AM
i don't think I could get scared from a 2-D side scrolling game.
and i'm a pussy when it comes to horror games.

>:U

Yeah. But they'd be really easy to over do.

I know.

What was that game that used all of those effects that broke the fourth wall? Eternal Darkness 2 or something? I've been thinking of doing the same thing.

Cosmonaut
12-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Unless you have some incredible new way that no ones ever thought of type of revelation for said side-scroller, I don't think this will be scary at all. This coming from a guy who got freaked out playing manhunt 2.

Strelok
12-06-2008, 09:55 AM
This isn't going to be some fast paced quickie thing. It's going to set a new, slower, speed for side scrolling games.

I'm thinking of using some cinematic elements.