PDA

View Full Version : Not sure?

Spazmodan
03-15-2008, 10:23 PM
http://www.swfup.com/file/156855

Just made this. Was originally working on the walking but I wanted to add some dark magic and then I got confused and out of hand so I just ended this.

Questions: When he floats upward, how exactly do you make that look smooth without adding 2000 frames and cranking up the FPS which causes the rest look messy?

Also, how do you actually make good special effects? All I know is like blur, glow, and stuff and it just looks pathetic like this.

Miccool
03-15-2008, 10:44 PM
umm.. Firstly I think you should clean up your stickfigure. When he walks he looks downwards which is wierd. And movements and blur filters need work as well. To make thing flow smooth, make all the movements close together without sudden movements, etc. and for special effects, animate things frame by frame. Look at other people's works in frame by frame and learn from that.

Entente
03-15-2008, 10:48 PM
^
^
^
What miccool said and.. most of all, experiment. Experiment with the gradients, the filters and everything else.

Kitsune
03-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Your walk is really awkward as stated before. You want the body to be more upright and moving upon the steps coming up and down as you step.

The effects werent bad, but your floating would be a good fix of oppritunity to go back and change to learn easing. Just begin the upward movement slow and barely changing to go up in the beginning frames and gradually growing faster, to slow down again at the end. That is what a smooth motion is. Choppy means to move at a constant speed which never looks good. The float is choppy to say the least.

There were no gradient fills in that entire animation, Entente.

Entente
03-15-2008, 10:58 PM
^
^
Understood, just pointing out that gradients are fun. :)

Kitsune
03-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Oh, I thought you were critisizing the gradient fills in the animation.

javarush214
03-16-2008, 03:01 AM
well everything i would say was said already.

just dont depend on the filter too much. just like i did in my sig ^^

Spazmodan
03-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Hmm..without the filters, how would you make a good special effect? So far what I've seen in other animations such as Tolin's blast, that contains quite a bit of filters and I've gain some ideas from it. Also, my walking is awkward; is it because he lifts his legs to much or..? Again, thanks to Kitsune for the advice, never thought of the floating that way, i'll try it out in a moment for my next animation.

Miccool
03-16-2008, 03:27 PM
How about effects like these which involve no filters...

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/367730

(btw, not made by me for anyone who's stupid enough not to read names.)

Spazmodan
03-16-2008, 03:30 PM
How about effects like these which involve no filters...

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/367730

(btw, not made by me for anyone who's stupid enough not to read names.)

Okay, thanks. Not sure what's really going on but I get it.

ck2100
03-16-2008, 04:29 PM
HAHAHAHA!! I LOVE IT! It's awsome! And funny!

Mesmay
03-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Ok, here goes. Dont get pissy because Im just trying to help you, you should take it as a compliment that I want to help you get the best out of your animations. ^_^

Make each movement less abrupt.
This can be done by-
a) Using the free transform tool, (the one that looks like a box) to make the person just lean forward that little bit more when his feet have stopped.
You need to do this for about 3 frames imo.
b) Making it all a bit slower. Not always the best choice, especially if you cant be bothered.
c) when he is flying, make him slowly reach a stop. As in, after the last keyframe of the tween youve obviously used to make him go up, click on the guy and make him go up by around 5 pixels (if they are pixels), then on the next frame make him go up by 4 pixels, then on the next frame 2 pixels, etc etc, (probably called something like a negative factorial, but who cares, it doesnt matter, its probably wrong, and you wouldnt understand lol) until he reaches a stop. Possibly you could make him rise by 1 pixel 2 or 3 times instead of just once. Also, once hes reached a stop, you could make him go down a small bit using the exact same method. (one pixel down, two piels, three, four) Of course, you have to ease him into a non-moving position again.
Also, dont use the blur so much for something so small. It just looks dirty, theres no real need for it because the guy is hardly moving fast, and if you were going to use blur you would just use it on the y axis (if it is the y axis, the one that goes up).Use glow instead, BUT- dont go overboard! 5 is an ok value for both x and y in this case (you could raise it to 10 at the most), and remember to turn the quality to high, so then it looks like the glow is coming from his "core", making it more mystical, lol.
Also, you know the problem with the head-
a) its lumpy, try and draw the head using only one brush stroke or using the circle tool.
b) he doesnt need to look down, at least not so much.

Im sure I could find other stuff wrong with it too, but I guess its not really that important, your just a beginner and its hard, i know.
But perhaps try a background. Zoom in a few times before you start drawing though, and use the second smallest brush tool.

Wow, I dont think Ive ever written so much advice in one post before!

Spazmodan
03-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Gah! Thanks Mesmay for the intense information. I'm going to bookmark this and refer to that comment each time. Thanks!

Dead-Shot
03-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Glowy. :D I like the magic ball effect. Its actually my favorate kind of effect.
The rest of it is kinda messy. Though i dont have much room to be saying much O_o

tken
03-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Spazzy, you could still use some help from me.

work moar on those movements. the motion of the whole body doesn't flow together.
and the effects could look a lot moar nicer instead of a blurred/glowing circle.

Spazmodan
03-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Spazzy, you could still use some help from me.

work moar on those movements. the motion of the whole body doesn't flow together.
and the effects could look a lot moar nicer instead of a blurred/glowing circle.

Indeed, i'm working on it.

Gavel
03-16-2008, 07:21 PM
When the stick walks, it looks like his head doesn't move at all other than going from left to right across the screen with the stick. And his head has a big dent in it, too. If it his head isn't going to be drawn each frame and with the thick stick figure style you're using, you should use the circle tool to make then head and press Ctrl+G to group it. Or make it a movie clip or a graphic cymbol if you want to keep it in the library for future use.

The blur affects you used were pretty unnecessary. In most cases, using filter affects aren't needed. Especially when all you're doing is making the stick float from point A to point B. And the ball affect wasn't really anything. It was just a squiggly movie clip blurring in and out. If you're going to go for the whole energy ball thing, you should practice particle effects. Try to make frame by frame effects where the ball is emitting some sort of glowing liquid smoke-like glow. I'll explain more and provide examples if you need it.

It's nice that you're taking people's criticisms into concideration now instead of what you were previously doing.

Spazzy
You called?

Miccool
03-16-2008, 07:30 PM
lol, Free transforming for line tool is extremely useful, believe it or not..

Spazmodan
03-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the information Spazz.