PDA

View Full Version : Your Religious Beliefs

Ash
12-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Wise Shadows isn't quite sure about his beleifs, and wants to hear other's beliefs.

These are the major types of belief:

A Theist believes that a god, or many gods, exist. Theists are either monotheists (Believe in only one God) or polythiests (Believe in multiple gods, like the ancient greeks.) A theist would say "God exists."

An Atheist doesn't believe in any gods. An atheist would say "I don't believe in any god"

An agnostic is kind of in-between, saying that he doesn't know, and therefore won't make a distinction.

-A weak agnostic leans more towards religion or atheism, saying that while he doesn't know, he thinks that god probably exists, or probably doesn't exist.
-A strong agnostic says "I don't know, and neither do you. I just don't know, it's a 50/50 chance whether any gods exist or not"

Everyone is somewhat agnostic. Even the most ardent atheist or stubborn Christian doesn't really KNOW if any God exists. (Though many would claim otherwise.)

These are a bit different than the previous ones, but just know that they are also options.

Pantheism is a bit odd. Traditionally it involves the belief in an "everywhere and everything" god.
Alive put it like this: "Pantheists believes that God is an abstract force that is everywhere in the world and universe, similar to the whole "mother nature" idea. In that sense, most religous people are actually pantheists, as is very commom to believe that God is within us and in everything."
A different interpretation is less of a religious stance and more of a way of speaking. Einstein often used the word "God" when he spoke, saying things like "God doesn't play dice games". However, he was an atheist, or at least a strong agnostic. When he said "God", he was using a synonym for "the forces of nature". he didn't actually believe in God. Pantheism is this form is actually a form of Atheism or Strong Agnosticism leaning towards Atheism.

A deist is fond of a "wind it up and let it go" version of God, where he is only there to create the universe and doesn't intervene afterwards. One famous example was Thomas Jefferson. (Though some people like Christopher Hitchens, who wrote a popular biography of Jefferson, believes he was a closet atheist, not wanting to reveal himself in a time when it was real social suicide, causing one to be cast out. This isn't as common now, obviously.)

Most deists are only so because they don't agree that science has explained the creation of the universe well enough to be able to be atheists. This standpoint was more common before the information age: there wasn't enough information to justify complete disbelief.

Finally, there is the standpoint of "false theism", where one claims to believe in a parody religion. I have friends who claim to be "Pastafarians", and believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Cosmonaut
12-18-2008, 09:59 PM
A strong agnostic says "I don't know, and neither do you. I just don't know, it's a 50/50 chance whether any gods exist or not"

I'm extreme agnostic with a strong twist of Buddhism.

Bonk
12-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Shaken or stirred, Cosmonaut?

Cosmonaut
12-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Shaken or stirred, Cosmonaut?
Shaken not stirred, I like to drink as I live...dangerously.

MiniMan
12-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Haha, "Strong Agnostic".

In which way?

Bonk
12-18-2008, 10:29 PM
That means you're strongly on the fence, not swaying any way.

Cosmonaut
12-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Haha, "Strong Agnostic".

In which way?
Neither, that's the point.

Myself
12-18-2008, 10:45 PM
all hail the flying spaghetti monster and its noodley appendiges

Scarecrow
12-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Discordian here

2-D
12-18-2008, 10:52 PM
wow, **** you ash, making fun of my Pastafarianism. ****ing atheist asshole.

Narcotic Jew
12-18-2008, 10:54 PM
hindu `

Dragon⁰⁷⁷
12-19-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm "Weak Agnosticism, leaning towards Atheism."

alive
12-19-2008, 09:37 AM
I guess I'm somewhat of a weak agnostic /deist. I do not believe in any of the all loving, all caring Gods that I have ever been told about, but I do not deny that there might be some sort of power out there. However I do not believe that that power interacts with, or even cares about, our personal life.

also, I thought you had decided to ignore me when you didn't reply.. :) <-holy shit smiley!?

Jeremy
12-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Weak agnostic, leaning towards theism.

Lixu
12-19-2008, 10:00 AM
I don't believe in any god
For example God, if he made everything, and loved it all, why would he invent, or however you want to call it, a disease like AIDS, which you would receive when doing the most natural action men and women can do?

Wtf
12-19-2008, 10:05 AM
More Atheistic than anyone else in here.

Jeremy
12-19-2008, 10:17 AM
For example God, if he made everything, and loved it all, why would he invent, or however you want to call it, a disease like AIDS, which you would receive when doing the most natural action men and women can do?

Keep that out of this thread. This isn't a debate, its a poll.

Kitsune
12-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Where's the "Uninvolved" option?

Ash
12-19-2008, 12:34 PM
There isn't an "uninvolved" option because it's impossible to be completely uninvolved. It's like being gay: Either you are gay, you are bisexual, you are antisexual, or are straight. If you choose "uninvolved", you are actually choosing "antisexual".

The question is "Do you think that god exists". If you answer "I don't know" or "I prefer not to affiliate myself" you are agnostic. If you answer "No", you are an atheist, and if you say "Yes" then you are a theist.

Vincent
12-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Atheist. Although I'm keeping my options open to what might happen when you die. But I strongly think we just rot in the ground, are consciousness is gone completely, and we'll be in pitch black nothingness :l...

zawmbee
12-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Forced Catholic.

Narcotic Jew
12-19-2008, 01:24 PM

what the **** does that have to do with anything?

all ash said was that he doesnt believe in any god, you dont have to tell him that he's right.

zawmbee
12-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Lixu is an obvious kiss ass.

2-D
12-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Forced Catholic.

you were force ****ed by a catholic priest?

Fallen
12-19-2008, 02:09 PM
On the subject of God, I'm a strong Agnostic. I'm actually Buddhist though.

zawmbee
12-19-2008, 02:10 PM
He sang to me and said he had a wife ;-;
HE LIED!

Cosmonaut
12-19-2008, 02:25 PM
On the subject of God, I'm a strong Agnostic. I'm actually Buddhist though.
HEY I ALREADY CALLED THAT, GO PICK YOUR OWN RELIGIOUS MIX. :Dope:

Beta
12-19-2008, 09:49 PM

Der, because adam and eve ****ed up.
It doesn't take a theist to figure that out.

Krob
12-19-2008, 10:56 PM
I practice Buddhism some.
Agnostic.

notmaggot
12-19-2008, 11:21 PM
weak agnostic leaning towards theism

BloodFruit
12-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Zombie Zen http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/humor/a06e/

Awesome

Dinomut
12-20-2008, 12:32 AM
No empirical proof in any direction so I'm a Strong Agnostic. It's not that I personally don't know, it's that there is no way ANYONE can know, so it's not much of a personal choice to view religion with logic. We have no proof to make any assumptions in any direction so it is naive to do so.

MoD
12-20-2008, 04:25 AM
I'm a false theist, I believe in the masturafarian.

The religion is about masturbating, for those who dont know.

Nodd
12-20-2008, 05:05 AM
Weak Agnosticism, leaning towards Atheism

Kitsune
12-20-2008, 10:04 AM
There isn't an "uninvolved" option because it's impossible to be completely uninvolved. It's like being gay: Either you are gay, you are bisexual, you are antisexual, or are straight. If you choose "uninvolved", you are actually choosing "antisexual".

The question is "Do you think that god exists". If you answer "I don't know" or "I prefer not to affiliate myself" you are agnostic. If you answer "No", you are an atheist, and if you say "Yes" then you are a theist.

Then agnostic to the max.

Covalence
12-20-2008, 11:45 AM
informed strong agnostic

Mantha
12-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Weak agnostic, leaning back and forth.

I wish I knew what pastafarianism is. I like the word.

Nodd
12-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Weak agnostic, leaning back and forth.

I wish I knew what pastafarianism is. I like the word.
http://www.venganza.org/flash/guidetopastafarianismpreloaded.swf

MadHatter
12-20-2008, 08:15 PM
This .

Steyene
12-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Theistic.

All alone, all the cool kids are on the fence and there is no room :[.

Seriously though Christian. Although slight lean toward Agnosticism.

Wartooth
12-21-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm a strong agnostic person.

Vervanda
12-21-2008, 01:48 AM

and some Buddhist moral beliefs.

Joose
12-22-2008, 12:07 AM
A .

Mantha
12-22-2008, 07:31 AM
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20070422.gif

IN UR FACES

Automaton
12-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Weak agnostic - leaning towards theism. To be honest, I'm a Christian, but not a strict one. I don't know what I believe any more...

Ash
12-22-2008, 03:46 PM
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20070422.gif

IN UR FACES

Haha, that's hilarious, but I ****ing hate that argument. It's easy to respond to, though.

"Do you mean that the only reason you don't do anything bad is for fear of punishment?"

It's a debate stopper. If they answer "Yes" then I'll say "Then I want nothing to do with you, you sick bastard." If they answer yes, then they have proven thier argument false, showing that you don't need religion for morality.

2-D
12-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Haha, that's hilarious, but I ****ing hate that argument. It's easy to respond to, though.

"Do you mean that the only reason you don't do anything bad is for fear of punishment?"

It's a debate stopper. If they answer "Yes" then I'll say "Then I want nothing to do with you, you sick bastard." If they answer yes, then they have proven thier argument false, showing that you don't need religion for morality.

ash wins

Deathwish
12-22-2008, 05:06 PM

I'd hate to live where you live, It seems like everything you do is motivated by your Atheism.
"Dude, you want a sandwich?"
"No, I'm an Athiest, begone Christian scum!"

Dragon⁰⁷⁷
12-22-2008, 05:10 PM

Perhaps they do good things not out of fear, but out of love and respect for God?

Ash
12-22-2008, 05:29 PM
I'd hate to live where you live, It seems like everything you do is motivated by your Atheism.
"Dude, you want a sandwich?"
"No, I'm an Athiest, begone Christian scum!"
What makes you think that?

I only ever bring it up if the discussion calls for it. Also, almost all my friends are religious. I only have 2 atheist friends. (Though to be honest, I don't know all my friend's religious stances)

Perhaps they do good things not out of fear, but out of love and respect for God?

Then their argument still doesn't work. They're trying to say that without religion, people are inherently evil. It's just now that the only reason they have morals is out of respect for the person in power. It's no different from a person not commiting murder because they respect the laws of their country. If the laws didn't exist, then they would rape, steal and murder. Likewise, if a person is only good because they respect their god's wishes, then they would murder, steal, and rape, and so I still classify them as inherently immoral, and wouldn't want to be around such a person.

Deathwish
12-22-2008, 05:32 PM
What makes you think that?

I only ever bring it up if the discussion calls for it. Also, almost all my friends are religious. I only have 2 atheist friends. (Though to be honest, I don't know all my friend's religious stances)

Then their argument still doesn't work. They're trying to say that without religion, people are inherently evil. It's just now that the only reason they have morals is out of respect for the person in power. It's no different from a person not commiting murder because they respect the laws of their country. If the laws didn't exist, then they would rape, steal and murder. Likewise, if a person is only good because they respect their god's wishes, then they would murder, steal, and rape, and so I still classify them as inherently immoral, and wouldn't want to be around such a person.
Seems like you're beliefs of Christians are evil are getting in the way of your common sense in this instance.
Seriously, because someone does something good in the name of God they're evil?
Come on dude, even you must think that sounds crazy.

Dragon⁰⁷⁷
12-22-2008, 05:33 PM
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to be not "inherently immoral" is to act morally, but without any motivation at all for doing so?

Kitsune
12-22-2008, 05:38 PM
(jumps into poll debate)

I've never heard that argument: atheists are inherently evil...

I couldn't follow that last sentence there. Christianity wants people to steal, rape, and murder? I don't get what you're trying to say.

Steyene
12-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Also, people are inherently evil.

See

Pol Pot
Adolf Hitler
Stalin

Then you have all of the massacres in Africa, along with all of their shoddy governments.

Kitsune
12-22-2008, 05:43 PM

See

Pol Pot
Adolf Hitler
Stalin

Then you have all of the massacres in Africa, along with all of their shoddy governments.

why is that worth bringing up in the subject of evil? Being bad at your job or being unable to do it well makes you deprived?

Also, listing of the most evil people in history as an example for all mankind's evil doesn't sound right.

Ash
12-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Seems like you're beliefs of Christians are evil are getting in the way of your common sense in this instance.
Seriously, because someone does something good in the name of God they're evil?
Come on dude, even you must think that sounds crazy.
Did I say that? No. What I said was that if they are only good because they believe in God, then they are bad people.
That doesn't mean that a person who THINKS that's the only reason they are good would be an evil person, it's just a counterargument to their argument that religion is the only reason for morality.
Even if they think that if god didn't exist they would be evil people, they probably wouldn't be evil, because of the loads of other causes of morality.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to be not "inherently immoral" is to act morally, but without any motivation at all for doing so?

Why do so many people forget about all other causes of morality in discussions like this?

There are lots of other reasons that people have morals.

1. Darwinian morality: We see interspecies morality in all semi-intelligent species. This has a strong darwinian reason: If a species kills members of it's own species as often as others, then its own species is less likely to survive to reproduce. Thus, natural selection favors groups that don't kill other members of their species, because otherwise the genes wouldn't be passed on as much.

2. Empathy: Why do so many people forget about this? This is a powerful emotion, and it's definately a factor: wolves, lions, lemurs, prairie dogs, all sorts of organisms show empathy, which is the ability to put oneself in another's shoes.

3. Cause and effect: You could also call this karma. If you kill someone, then people around you will have a negative oppinion of you. This also expands to more subtle examples. Early humans noticed that when they killed an important member of their tribe, such as the basket weaver, they would have a harder time living, because gathering food would become more difficult and time consuming. This probably also contributed to darwinian morality.

4. Learning: People are taught from a young age not to steal, kill, murder, and rape, and so aren't as likely to do these things.

There are more reasons for sure, but these are all I care to list (And all I can think of at the moment)

See

Pol Pot
Adolf Hitler
Stalin

Your logic is flawed.

There have been evil people, therefore people are inherently evil.

By your argument, I, possessing no religion, should have killed one person in the past two years, but so far I've been a far nicer, less confrontational person. Also, Thomas Jefferson, believing in no final judgement, wouldn't have been a good person either.

You're forgetting that a person's environment effects their personality.

Cosmonaut
12-22-2008, 05:58 PM
haha Knew this couldn't keep from turning into a religious debate that long.

Dragon⁰⁷⁷
12-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Did I say that? No. What I said was that if they are only good because they believe in God, then they are bad people.
That doesn't mean that a person who THINKS that's the only reason they are good would be an evil person, it's just a counterargument to their argument that religion is the only reason for morality.
Even if they think that if god didn't exist they would be evil people, they probably wouldn't be evil, because of the loads of other causes of morality.

Why do so many people forget about all other causes of morality in discussions like this?

There are lots of other reasons that people have morals.

1. Darwinian morality: We see interspecies morality in all semi-intelligent species. This has a strong darwinian reason: If a species kills members of it's own species as often as others, then its own species is less likely to survive to reproduce. Thus, natural selection favors groups that don't kill other members of their species, because otherwise the genes wouldn't be passed on as much.

2. Empathy: Why do so many people forget about this? This is a powerful emotion, and it's definately a factor: wolves, lions, lemurs, prairie dogs, all sorts of organisms show empathy, which is the ability to put oneself in another's shoes.

3. Cause and effect: You could also call this karma. If you kill someone, then people around you will have a negative oppinion of you. This also expands to more subtle examples. Early humans noticed that when they killed an important member of their tribe, such as the basket weaver, they would have a harder time living, because gathering food would become more difficult and time consuming. This probably also contributed to darwinian morality.

4. Learning: People are taught from a young age not to steal, kill, murder, and rape, and so aren't as likely to do these things.

There are more reasons for sure, but these are all I care to list (And all I can think of at the moment)
So being moral because you love God is evil, but "Darwinian morality" isn't? I don't understand that at all.

Ash
12-22-2008, 06:04 PM
So being moral because you love God is evil, but "Darwinian morality" isn't? I don't understand that at all.

That's because you are misconstruding what I am saying. I am saying that if that is the only reason people have morals, then people who didn't believe in god would be evil. I'm saying that people don't require religion to be good. I'm saying NOTHING bad about religion AT ALL.

Dragon⁰⁷⁷
12-22-2008, 06:08 PM
That's because you are misconstruding what I am saying. I am saying that if that is the only reason people have morals, then people who didn't believe in god would be evil. I'm saying that people don't require religion to be good. I'm saying NOTHING bad about religion AT ALL.
No. You are saying that people who use religion as their basis for morality are evil. THAT is what you have been saying.

Is a person evil if they do moral things, no matter what the reason?
Let's do this scenario: Who is more evil? A person who uses love/respect/fear of God as their soul basis of morality (but never does immoral things), or an atheist who occasionally does immoral things, such as stealing.

Jeremy
12-22-2008, 06:10 PM
This needs to be locked now. This is complete and utter proof that it will always turn into a debate no matter where the topic is made.

Ash
12-22-2008, 06:10 PM
No. You are saying that people who use religion as their basis for morality are evil. THAT is what you have been saying.

Oh? Where did I say that?

Is a person evil if they do moral things, no matter what the reason?
Let's do this scenario: Who is more evil? A person who uses love/respect/fear of God as their soul basis of morality (but never does immoral things), or an atheist who occasionally does immoral things, such as stealing.

Obviously the person who doesn't do immoral things.

@Jeremy: Shut up. You don't have to read it.

Dragon⁰⁷⁷
12-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Oh? Where did I say that?

Obviously the person who doesn't do immoral things.
1. Your first post where you said that you didn't want anything to do with someone who uses religion(you actually said "punishment" if I remember correctly but it was aimed at religion) as their moral base

2. The person who doesn't do immoral things is more evil?

Kitsune
12-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Likewise, if a person is only good because they respect their god's wishes, then they would murder, steal, and rape, and so I still classify them as inherently immoral, and wouldn't want to be around such a person.
Still don't get that. Thanks for ignoring my post.

Dragon⁰⁷⁷
12-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Ash, whatever you are about to post I'm going to have to respond later. I got to go.

Bonk
12-22-2008, 06:24 PM
What isn't there to get?

People who admit that the only reason they are moral is because of religious beliefs do not actually have morals of their own, but instead just obey.

Now these are the dangerous people. If they use religion as their moral guideline, and that guideline changes to relate to something like, say, Jihad, then they have no moral issue with killing and such.

Cue middle east history lesson.

Ash
12-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Dragon, if you had read my other posts, you would have seen that I later said that the person may THINK that religion is the cause of their morality, but that there are other reasons that have a stronger influence. PS. Oops, I thought the question was ''who is less evil''. Sorry. @Kitsune: I misstyped that.

Steyene
12-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Ash, your Darwinian morals aren't really morals, as they are purely self serving. If there is something that is putting your survival or an others on the line. You will put your self ahead, due to survival. Even if that means, breaking your own morals. They only hold when everything is going along nicely and there is no need to break them.

Ash
12-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Ash, your Darwinian morals aren't really morals, as they are purely self serving. If there is something that is putting your survival or an others on the line. You will put your self ahead, due to survival. Even if that means, breaking your own morals. They only hold when everything is going along nicely and there is no need to break them.

Obviously you don't understand the concept of Darwinian morals. "Darwinian morals" doesn't mean "morals picked by a person to aide natural selection", it means "moral tendencies that natural selection and evolution created that help spread your genes", and it's not completely self-serving, it has to do with the survival of you and those surrounding you, such as family and friends. People tend to help protect those close to themselves because it increases the likelyhood of successful reproduction.

Oh, and another note, one that might help the discussion I'm having with Dragon: I don't define evil by action, but by intention. It's about whether a person entertains ideas of murder and rape, not just if they murder and rape. The distinction is that I would classify a person who has killed 4 people in order to get money to survive less evil than a person who killed one person just because they got pissed off, or because they are sick ****s who get joy from murder.

Dinomut
12-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Thread Intent: a poll to see people's religious beliefs
What it is Now: Ash and Dragon bullshitting each other and giving us evidence that SPP is doomed to never be able to talk about religion without an argument flaring up. This is supposed to just be a list, not another religion debate. Create a new thread if you want, but this argument isn't what the OP had in mind

Ash
12-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Thread Intent: a poll to see people's religious beliefs
What it is Now: Ash and Dragon bullshitting each other and giving us evidence that SPP is doomed to never be able to talk about religion without an argument flaring up. This is supposed to just be a list, not another religion debate. Create a new thread if you want, but this argument isn't what the OP had in mind

I am the OP, and I had this in mind.

Real
12-23-2008, 12:01 AM

Also, you guys should watch some History/Discovery Channel this week. It's all about Jesus and bible-type things and whether or not they have scientific/factual bases. But that's probably just this week, as next week is typically all end-of-the-world specials.

Also, Ash, I recently watched a documentary-type film called The God Who Wasn't There, found here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455507/

You may enjoy that.

Mantha
12-23-2008, 12:16 AM

It wasn't even an argument. It's just a comic. Now look what have you done, there's religious debate all over the place.

Jeremy
12-23-2008, 07:11 AM
I am the OP, and I had this in mind.

Fuck you. Why put this in the poll section If you wanted a debate? AAaragrgahg you are so fucking annoying.

Ash
12-23-2008, 11:05 AM
It wasn't even an argument. It's just a comic. Now look what have you done, there's religious debate all over the place.
I know YOU weren't using the argument, that's why I said "That's hilarious, BUT I hate that argument". People use the argument a lot, and I was just addressing the misconception about atheism that the use of the argument reveals.

Fuck you. Why put this in the poll section If you wanted a debate? AAaragrgahg you are so fucking annoying.

Firstly, http://www.stickpageportal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97312

Read it, and the thread it was about.

Secondly, OH NO! Someone DEBATING in the POLL section?!? That's blasphemy! Whatever shall we do? Everyone knows that the poll section is just for polls, and that discussion about polls is forbidden!
I put it here because I wanted it to be primarily a poll. I had in mind that people would discuss the subject.

Lastly, I guarantee that your presence is more annoying to me than my persistence is annoying to you. Every time a debate about religion pops up, there you are complaining. How dare someone discuss religion? You aren't supposed to question it, you're supposed to take it or leave it.

NOONE IS MAKING YOU PARTICIPATE. IGNORE THE THREAD. It shouldn't be that hard.

For Douglas Adam's sake, stop whining.

Jeremy
12-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Lastly, I guarantee that your presence is more annoying to me than my persistence is annoying to you. Every time a debate about religion pops up, there you are complaining. How dare someone discuss religion? You aren't supposed to question it, you're supposed to take it or leave it.

Wtf? I don't complain about religion threads everytime there is one. Especially when they are in the debate section, where they belong. You need to learn to calm down and stop taking every chance you get to debate religion, pick your battles, or you come off as pestering asshole, which you are.

Mantha
12-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Religious debates are annoying in the Debate section already, they don't need to spread around the forum too imo.

I know that argument is quite debatale, but one could make essays about it, comparing the arguments and looking for flaws on every side.

Ash
12-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Wtf? I don't complain about religion threads everytime there is one. Especially when they are in the debate section, where they belong. You need to learn to calm down and stop taking every chance you get to debate religion, pick your battles, or you come off as pestering asshole, which you are.
Calm down? I'm the one that's being calm. You are the person cussing and complaining. Also, I didn't start this debate. I addressed a common misconception reguarding one of the options on the poll, and then other people started saying I was wrong.

Also, I don't "Take every chance I get to debate religion". Were that the case, I would have made far more debates about religion, and yet have only made one in the past year, not counting this one.

Another thing: something tells me that if I were to make a few threads debating about the green movement or Obama, noone would be whining about it. It seems like it's just because I'm making threads about religion.

P.S.: Oh, and I was confusing you with steyner when I said you complained in every thread. My mistake.

Religious debates are annoying in the Debate section already, they don't need to spread around the forum too imo.

I know that argument is quite debatale, but one could make essays about it, comparing the arguments and looking for flaws on every side.

And? People could do that with ANY subject. Thousands of subjects are just as multi-faceted and complicated, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't hold debates about them.

Kitsune
12-23-2008, 07:16 PM
*adds in 2˘*

Why do people sound pissed in a forum!!?? I mean ****ing shitpiercing seriously, it's text, stop telling people to calm down. I MEAN I CAN ****ING MISUSE SOME WORDS AND CAPS AND UNNECESSARY PUNCTUATION AND SOUND PISSED OFF WHEN IM REALLY SUPER MELLOW!!!!!!!!111111111 It's also really gay to be told you're aggravated when you're really not. I mean it's text and it's a heated debate. Can anyone really tell what others' moods are when they're typing any message unless they know the person?

Also this thread is super gay imo. Repost + Debate + Another debate about the debate + The same content as every other religion thread + 8 pages of it in a thread about opinions and NOT arguments about conflicting opinions = gay poll thread imo.

What's wrong with a debate in a poll thread? I think that it's you sharing your honest opinion and getting that opinion argued over, which isn't what people visit the poll section for.

Op: Hay guys what's your nationality?

Guy: Estonian.

Op: Well I'm not an Estonian and here's why.

Guy: Well I am an Estonian and here's why.

Op: Here's a rebuttal over your last statement there.

Guy: Your logic in that last statement about Estonians is flawed.

Op:Well your choice in nationality is still wrong.

(I know there's a lot wrong with the above example. I think you can get my point though. :P)

*notices the generated wall of text*

whoops. my bad. :3

Dinomut
12-23-2008, 07:32 PM
*adds in 2˘*

Why do people sound pissed in a forum!!?? I mean ****ing shitpiercing seriously, it's text, stop telling people to calm down. I MEAN I CAN ****ING MISUSE SOME WORDS AND CAPS AND UNNECESSARY PUNCTUATION AND SOUND PISSED OFF WHEN IM REALLY SUPER MELLOW!!!!!!!!111111111 It's also really gay to be told you're aggravated when you're really not. I mean it's text and it's a heated debate. Can anyone really tell what others' moods are when they're typing any message unless they know the person?

Also this thread is super gay imo. Repost + Debate + Another debate about the debate + The same content as every other religion thread + 8 pages of it in a thread about opinions and NOT arguments about conflicting opinions = gay poll thread imo.

What's wrong with a debate in a poll thread? I think that it's you sharing your honest opinion and getting that opinion argued over, which isn't what people visit the poll section for.

Op: Hay guys what's your nationality?

Guy: Estonian.

Op: Well I'm not an Estonian and here's why.

Guy: Well I am an Estonian and here's why.

Op: Here's a rebuttal over your last statement there.

Guy: Your logic in that last statement about Estonians is flawed.

Op:Well your choice in nationality is still wrong.

(I know there's a lot wrong with the above example. I think you can get my point though. :P)

*notices the generated wall of text*

whoops. my bad. :3

QFT .

Ash
12-23-2008, 07:42 PM

So what then do people visit the poll thread for? I always thought it was to vote in the poll and see the results.

Kitsune
12-23-2008, 08:12 PM
So what then do people visit the poll thread for? I always thought it was to vote in the poll and see the results.
I think you're missing the argued over part:

I think that it's you sharing your honest opinion and getting that opinion argued over, which isn't what people visit the poll section for.
It is exactly what you say it is. Vote in a poll to see the results, and maybe discuss your choices. I don't think a debate about people's opinions or life choices should be in that equation. People go to the debate section to debate. I don't think people go to the poll section to debate undebatable topics.

Ash
12-23-2008, 09:23 PM
I think you're missing the argued over part:

It is exactly what you say it is. Vote in a poll to see the results, and maybe discuss your choices. I don't think a debate about people's opinions or life choices should be in that equation. People go to the debate section to debate. I don't think people go to the poll section to debate undebatable topics.

Are we debating about people's life decisions, or are we debating about whether religion is required for morality?

Krob
12-29-2008, 09:45 PM
I worship one god only..

http://republika.pl/blog_bm_4155177/5939234/sz/okoto.jpg

MoD
01-03-2009, 09:25 AM
****ING LAY OFF THE RELIGIOUS DEBATES IN THE ****ING POLL SECTION.

Seriously, is it so hard?

Bonk
01-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Is it so hard not to bump recently dead threads?

Strelok
01-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Where do I put Ásatrú?

Ash
01-07-2009, 09:30 PM
****ING LAY OFF THE RELIGIOUS DEBATES IN THE ****ING POLL SECTION.

Seriously, is it so hard?

Errrr.... Because there are so many, right?

LakE
01-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I worship one god only..

http://republika.pl/blog_bm_4155177/5939234/sz/okoto.jpg
Did I ever tell you about the time I roared a wild boar to death?

EDIT: I was trying to think of what topic I would come under, but since I couldn't put myself under any of those topics, I won't.I couldn't care less, either.
Why worry about something that won't effect me until I die, or something that will never effect me at all.

ßub
01-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Religion is nothing but a bunch of ignorant people who try to tell people how to live their lives based on a book that was written thousands years ago that barely contains any wisdom that u cant think of using your own brain.

Jeremy
01-17-2009, 04:19 AM
Inb4 shitstorm.