PDA

View Full Version : Stickpage TD

Paperclip
03-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Okay, I was inspired by handdrawngames.com to make my own tower defense game. I already loved TDs because of Warcraft, but I wanted to make a flash version due to its accessibility. The end result was a design based on Stickpage Portal. Now the goal of the game is to have 100 levels of varying creeps and towers that will progressively get harder. Unlike Desktop TD by handdrawngames.com, I want to make a harder TD that makes the player build more intricate mazes and hopefully more addictive. I'm posting this here as a way to show you my progress in the design of Stickpage TD and I hope that you as readers will help me come up with more ideas.

The only thing I need right now are creep (monster) and tower designs for the game. I've already made a simple turret type cannon that would be a basic lvl one tower. I would like for some other people to get involved and submit their own designs. Please be aware that all creeps and tower designs need to be drawn in a perfect square so that I can resize them accordingly. Thank you for your time and I hope that the game will be fun and enjoyable.

Ok, I have decided that the towers will be stickfigures and the creeps are up to design by the forum members. I will probably make some of my own, but you are more than welcome to submit your own designs. I'll update this post to show my progress on the towers.

Towers:
swfup sucks and deleted my files so I need to rehost them.

width=600 height=350]

elite34
03-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Looks good so far; keep up the good work!

fitzy
03-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Sounds awesome PC :) i love TD games so im sure it'll be awesome. you said if we want to make designs, they need to be in a perfect square...but cant anything be resized into a perfect square?

anyway GL with the game hope to see good progress made soon :)

Shanto
03-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Well, you can't really tell how it is right now. But seems pretty planned. Good luck on this project.

Dudeman
03-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Cool.

Do you mind uploading some examples of the towers and turrets? I just want to see what your art style is so I don't through off the style. I'm kind of interested in making something for fun.

Scorpioxxx
03-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Good luck with this, I tried one of these last years, got one tower coded, the first map and the bullets, then lost interest. Nice layout but have you got a plan for placing the towers, this was the problem I came across and what I used were places that you clicked on which brought up a list of the towers that could be placed there. I'll happily help with tower designs, PM me with anything you want kept in like colour and any parts you want seperate like rotating barrels or bullets for the tower. You should also decide what towers you going to use aswell, along with the posibility of mines or walls.

Xelectroid
03-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Need examples for same reasons as Doodman.

axcho
03-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Interesting idea. Hope it goes well. Will the creeps be stick figures?

LN3uq
03-22-2008, 11:03 PM
I think I'm going to go on warcraft and play some tds right now, in fact.

I made an earth tower, or an idea for one at least.
the projectile could be something like this
http://www.swfup.com/file/164085

and the tower would look like this maybe
http://www.swfup.com/file/164089

SSOutPhase
03-23-2008, 12:49 AM
Cool designs already! I've enjoyed TD games and I'd like to see what you'll make.

But uh...I guess its just a coincidence that can be abbreviated, "STD"?

Raffi
03-23-2008, 02:40 AM
How about your tower IS StickpagePortal?

Komaru
03-23-2008, 07:02 AM
I know this would be stealing from many other TD games, but bash towers are great. (Bash towers hit the immediate area around them and deal a huge amount of damage, with a chance of stun on the enemy, but go really slowly)
I think there should also be a crap tower, where it is really cheap, and does a lot of damage, but sucks at upgrading and isn't good after the first couple levels. Another tower would be one that sucks the first bunch of upgrades, but then has one upgrade where it gets like, 6 times better or something.

Paperclip
03-23-2008, 12:41 PM
I think I'm going to go on warcraft and play some tds right now, in fact.

I made an earth tower, or an idea for one at least.
the projectile could be something like this
http://www.swfup.com/file/164085

and the tower would look like this maybe
http://www.swfup.com/file/164089
Very nice! I take it you have played Element TD 4.0. I like the style. I'm not sure if I could imitate it, but I do like it.

Cool designs already! I've enjoyed TD games and I'd like to see what you'll make.

But uh...I guess its just a coincidence that can be abbreviated, "STD"?
No, I did that on purpose. Glad you caught it.

I know this would be stealing from many other TD games, but bash towers are great. (Bash towers hit the immediate area around them and deal a huge amount of damage, with a chance of stun on the enemy, but go really slowly)
I think there should also be a crap tower, where it is really cheap, and does a lot of damage, but sucks at upgrading and isn't good after the first couple levels. Another tower would be one that sucks the first bunch of upgrades, but then has one upgrade where it gets like, 6 times better or something.
I have already decided to include bash towers. They are nothing new and therefore it wouldn't be stealing.

Cool.

Do you mind uploading some examples of the towers and turrets? I just want to see what your art style is so I don't through off the style. I'm kind of interested in making something for fun.
Lol, well my basic turret was a place marker in the layout image up top. The way I wanted it to work was that all the towers you can build are selectable from that bottom h.u.d. As I haven't decided if I want to go elemental or not, I just drew a little cannon in a square. It will be changed.

LN3uq
03-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah, it's one of my favorite games on warcraft, I'd say.

I can always make some changes to it if it doesn't fit the style

Scorpioxxx
03-23-2008, 03:02 PM
For the creeps you could use active members of the forum or mods/admins/NTF and let them draw thier own creep to represent them if they wish and are capable of making it look decent.

Paperclip
03-23-2008, 03:24 PM
For the creeps you could use active members of the forum or mods/admins/NTF and let them draw thier own creep to represent them if they wish and are capable of making it look decent.
Sounds like a good idea, but I still want other people to input their ideas as well.

Scorpioxxx
03-23-2008, 05:12 PM
As a general guideline, how big on the map will the towers be?

Paperclip
03-23-2008, 05:17 PM
As a general guideline, how big on the map will the towers be?
Not that big at all...

Xelectroid
03-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Make the towers = mods, admins

Paperclip
03-24-2008, 10:53 AM
I'll need Ln3uq to back me up, but I think I'm going to use stickfigures are the towers and aliens as the runners. The stick figure towers will be a melee race to start off with. Ln3uq if you have played Wintermaul Wars then you should understand. The towers have a low range but attack as creeps walk past them. This is a very effective tower unit and can be upgraded for speed and damage. After you get enough money you can build stickfigure base ranged towers that hold bows and arrows or something like that... probably guns because it is easier to draw. So, because I'm doing stickfigure towers I don't need designs for the actual towers. I'm just in need of alien (monster, creeps, runner are all the same thing) designs.

LN3uq
03-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Yeah, that's cool. Wintermaul's a good game as well :D

I come up with some creeps

Oh, and an idea. Possibly the final tower you could buy is a giant portal

Scarecrow
03-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Wait a minute.

Portals.

A DEFENCE CANNON THING THAT SHOOTS PORTALS, AND SENDS ENEMIES FURTHER AWAY FROM THE END.

Paperclip
03-25-2008, 05:48 AM
Yeah, that's cool. Wintermaul's a good game as well :D

I come up with some creeps

Oh, and an idea. Possibly the final tower you could buy is a giant portal

Wait a minute.

Portals.

A DEFENCE CANNON THING THAT SHOOTS PORTALS, AND SENDS ENEMIES FURTHER AWAY FROM THE END.
Lol, both ideas are pretty good. I like the idea of the portal gun even though it is like stealing from the actual portal game. I guess the portal thing would just send you back to the beginning... or when you upgrade the tower the range of the portal increases to where it dumps you.

Paperclip
03-25-2008, 10:30 AM
width=30 height=50 Punching Melee Tower

I'm actually thinking of increasing the size of the stage so that the towers can be bigger.

Paco
03-25-2008, 08:27 PM
i thought you said they were not going to be sticks?
but nice anyways.

Paperclip
03-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Well, I couldn't decide if I wanted stick figures to be the creeps or not. This way, I can incorporate the "stick" figure from the title.

Legend
03-25-2008, 09:41 PM
If you want to use this you can.

width=200 height=44.4

LN3uq
03-26-2008, 12:38 AM
I've got a few ideas for monsters, but they're just on paper for now. I'll try and upload them tomorrow.

Raffi
03-26-2008, 02:23 AM
I have a wizard that teleports around the field.

I'll post the pic in a bit...

Paperclip
03-26-2008, 06:13 AM
If you want to use this you can.

width=200 height=44.4
Thanks, I like the concept. You don't mind if I make my own of it and add a few touches do you?

I've got a few ideas for monsters, but they're just on paper for now. I'll try and upload them tomorrow.
Sounds, good... my monster suck so I don't feel like showing them.

MF3dragon
03-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Oooh! Pretty! =D

You better make it! Lol.

Paperclip
03-26-2008, 10:52 AM
First Ranged Tower
width=115 height=120

Oooh! Pretty! =D

You better make it! Lol.
Hey, thanks. I'll talk to Zulu about unsilencing your account...

Tolin
03-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Just an idea. Hurts creeps behind it too
http://www.swfup.com/file/167996 <<Supposed to be faster
If you like the idea, make your own verson.

Paperclip
03-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Just an idea. Hurts creeps behind it too
http://www.swfup.com/file/167996 <<Supposed to be faster
If you like the idea, make your own verson.
I'm using mostly stick figures so if it is a stick figure doing something I need to know.

Paperclip
03-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Gunman Ranged Tower
width=30 height=60

LN3uq
03-26-2008, 08:54 PM
ignore the notes >_>
Mainly I liked the first one on the left.
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/8157/scan0004sl5.jpg
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/6283/scan0005tq4.jpg

Apples
03-26-2008, 09:14 PM
This game is so hot its giving me an erection.
Well, as big as an erection can get for my age.

Paperclip
03-26-2008, 09:19 PM
ignore the notes >_>
Mainly I liked the first one on the left.
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/8157/scan0004sl5.jpg
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/6283/scan0005tq4.jpg
Those designs are amazing... I think you should put them into flash for me =)

Legend
03-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks, I like the concept. You don't mind if I make my own of it and add a few touches do you?

Of course not .

denaldinios
03-27-2008, 04:26 AM
it looks good
i love td games and
when it is ready to play?

Kitsune
03-27-2008, 04:50 AM
I'll help you out, Paperclip! I'll draw out some designs at school and put them into flash when I get home!

Flash 8 or CS3?

Paperclip
03-27-2008, 06:10 AM
it looks good
i love td games and
when it is ready to play?
When I'm done...

I'll help you out, Paperclip! I'll draw out some designs at school and put them into flash when I get home!

Flash 8 or CS3?
I have CS3 so either version is fine...

imported_SPARTAN_117
03-27-2008, 06:25 AM
I'm gonna try to make some designs, looks like a fun game, but I don't have flash..

Kitsune
03-27-2008, 08:36 PM
When I'm done...

I have CS3 so either version is fine...

I drew out loads of Ideas. I'll send the Ideas to you tomorrow, or today, and you can confirm what I make for you. :3 Then I shall make to help!

>:3 <<Determined, not angry. lol.

sheezy2
03-27-2008, 10:58 PM
if i drew some really kool stick dude on paper could u shrink it down??

Raffi
03-28-2008, 02:28 AM
Here's my disappearing wizard guy...

EDIT: Damn, the dimentions thing doesn't work >_>

Tolin
03-28-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm using mostly stick figures so if it is a stick figure doing something I need to know.

It can might be a upgrade for the baseball-bat ranged tower. The spinning thing as the bat, just faster.

Kitsune
03-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Here's my disappearing wizard guy...

EDIT: Damn, the dimentions thing doesn't work >_>

Just put the frames in a movie clip and shrink that.

LN3uq
03-29-2008, 11:08 PM
I made the first creep into an animation, though it's not finished yet.

http://swfup.com/file/171590#view

Thing is, I'm going on a trip from monday to friday, so I'm not going to get anything done obviously. I'll try and finish this one up tomorrow, but chances are I won't. Just leeting you know why there won't be any progress on my end :D

Paperclip
03-31-2008, 06:54 PM
I made the first creep into an animation, though it's not finished yet.

http://swfup.com/file/171590#view

Thing is, I'm going on a trip from monday to friday, so I'm not going to get anything done obviously. I'll try and finish this one up tomorrow, but chances are I won't. Just leeting you know why there won't be any progress on my end :D
That is amazing Ln3uq. Yeah, I'm on spring break too. I went on a cruise so I haven't be on for three days. I'm aiming to make a few more towers over the break if I don't have much homework. Thanks for you effort.

Rather Cheesy
03-31-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm going to make something for this. I just want to think of a really good idea for a creep or tower...

If we design a creep are we allowed to give it attributes? Like in the desktop TD how theres the spawn people who when you destroy two more pop out? OR are we just going to get to design how the creeps look and they all have the same attributes?

This question also applies to the towers.

Kitsune
03-31-2008, 09:04 PM
Did you get my PM Paperclip?

Paperclip
04-01-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm going to make something for this. I just want to think of a really good idea for a creep or tower...

If we design a creep are we allowed to give it attributes? Like in the desktop TD how theres the spawn people who when you destroy two more pop out? OR are we just going to get to design how the creeps look and they all have the same attributes?

This question also applies to the towers.
Feel free to design whatever you want.

Did you get my PM Paperclip?
Yes. Things I have already decided to have in the game: flying units, health displays for the creeps and towers if I add attacking waves, researching/upgrading, and possibly a wizard. I personally don't really like the idea of adding spikes because it reminds me a of a Balloon TD that my friend obsesses over and I don't really like it. Thanks for the ideas though.

Rather Cheesy
04-01-2008, 11:31 AM
The Fire Creep

Hes pure flame, Fire Damage heals him with half what damage it would do normally [ex: if a tower that does fire damage deals 2 damage normally it would heal the fire creep 1] Water and ice have the opposite effect and do double damage.

Heres my attempt at animating him, I've only animated fire a couple times so its not very good. [it looks ALOT better zoomed out so it should be fine]
http://www.swfup.com/file/174267
I'm sure someone else here could probably animate the creep better than me and I'm fine if another animator wants to animate it. ^_^

Should I send you the fla? Or should it be reanimated? =P

Mesmay
04-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Does the enemy have to be animated in birdeye view, or what?
Once I know, Im going to do something for it.

Paperclip
04-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Does the enemy have to be animated in birdeye view, or what?
Once I know, Im going to do something for it.
Birds eye view is preferred. I mean you can always do a simple smile face as long as you position the eyes towards the edge to make it look like it is being looked down at.

The Fire Creep

Hes pure flame, Fire Damage heals him with half what damage it would do normally [ex: if a tower that does fire damage deals 2 damage normally it would heal the fire creep 1] Water and ice have the opposite effect and do double damage.

Heres my attempt at animating him, I've only animated fire a couple times so its not very good. [it looks ALOT better zoomed out so it should be fine]
http://www.swfup.com/file/174267
I'm sure someone else here could probably animate the creep better than me and I'm fine if another animator wants to animate it. ^_^

Should I send you the fla? Or should it be reanimated? =P
I'm not sure if I want to do the elemental type of TD right now. For the moment though, I'm going just straight attacking towers. I will probably do an ice tower to slow creeps down and a bash tower to do splash damage. Apart from that I'm not sure if I want to get into the elements just yet. If this game gets completed I will definitely look into to making a sequel.

Rather Cheesy
04-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Alrighty, I'll try to come up with something else then. I have an idea for a tower, but I want to animate it first.

EDIT:
Alright, I made this one quickly, I cheated and used codes to animate the laser.

A laser turret, its a stick wielding a laser cannon, the cannon deals low but constant damage. hitting the enemy several times a second. http://antiup.net/view.php?id=96910154212STDlasertower.swf
I'm not a very good animator and I'm not used to animating sticks from over head XP

Mesmay
04-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Also, (im asking questions because I dont think Ive ever played a TD game before) do i have to animate the char walking and also attacking, or is he stationary, or is it the case that when you roll over him you get hurt (so no attack)

2-dee
04-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Mesmay, it wont be stationary and depending on if the creep is going to attack towers or just try to get to the other side by going through the maze will be if u have to make it attacking. Depending on how Paperclip wants the game it mite be rolling over it but because he said melee and no spikes probably not.

I play Warcraft all the time and I have downloaded and playd like every TD there. I am not that good on the computer but i could give lots of ideas or someone can explain what i have 2 do to animate something. I have pivot, but thats it =( - other than that though, I wish to help.

Mesmay
04-01-2008, 05:12 PM
http://www.antiup.net/view.php?id=33913796634frog%20creep.swf

Im not sure what kind of attack you wanted, so I just gave it a conventional frog attack.
^^

I know the attack isnt all that powerful but then again, neither is a frog.
Note that I made this in about 30minutes so I could proably make it better, and I will if you like the basic concept

Vervanda
04-01-2008, 05:28 PM
this is a really bad idea.

Kitsune
04-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Yes. Things I have already decided to have in the game: flying units, health displays for the creeps and towers if I add attacking waves, researching/upgrading, and possibly a wizard. I personally don't really like the idea of adding spikes because it reminds me a of a Balloon TD that my friend obsesses over and I don't really like it. Thanks for the ideas though.

Great! I just wanted to clear that part up to have a clean slate for my next PM. I'll send you a list of enemies/towers/upgrades/upgrade towers maybe. Once you confirm any ideas of creeps or stickfigures, I will get to work on animating them.

Hooray!

this is a really bad idea.

You're a really bad idea!!!

I'm kidding I don't want to hurt your feelings.

Wanna Mulkshaak?

Paperclip
04-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Sword Tower: Range Tower Upgrade
width=120 height=130
Still needs some work, but that is the general idea.

Doomdooer
04-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Hm, the Tower Defence genre has gotten a huge boost the last few months.

Hopefully this will take enough time so as to be released when there aren't so many shitty ones out there.
The idea for the towers seems ok, but I can't help but wonder if this will be another Tower Defence that most people will play to the 3rd level, and give up saying "It's just like the rest."

Paperclip
04-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Hm, the Tower Defence genre has gotten a huge boost the last few months.

Hopefully this will take enough time so as to be released when there aren't so many shitty ones out there.
The idea for the towers seems ok, but I can't help but wonder if this will be another Tower Defence that most people will play to the 3rd level, and give up saying "It's just like the rest."
I plan on making it unique... besides this will be the first TD that has actual stick figures as the towers. That alone should make someone out there interested in playing it.

Doomdooer
04-02-2008, 02:25 PM
I plan on making it unique... besides this will be the first TD that has actual stick figures as the towers. That alone should make someone out there interested in playing it.
Well, what most TD's major flaw is is that there isn't a balance between novelty and gameplay.

I've seen some incredible ideas that could have been an insanely good game, but the gameplay was just boring, almost because of the overwhelming novelty.

The fact that you have stickfigures as towers is interesting, but when you really think about it, it's only a design difference. You'll need to create some innovative weapons and effects to really complete the whole feel of the game.

Simply removing towers and replacing them with non-moving (surely another target for critics) stickfigures, and then building a standard TD game will just lump it in with the rest.

You'll need an almost complete remake of the standard TD gaming experience to have real success.

I'm not criticising or saying that this game is going to definitely suck, I'm just warning you to try and not go down the path so many sucky games have gone.
I see them almost every day on onemorelevel, Xgen, and addictinggames.

fitzy
04-03-2008, 04:14 PM
maybe you could be able to send your own stickfigures to attack the creeps, being the only thing the creeps can kill...or something along those lines...just DOD mentioning the fact it's just non-moving stick figures made me thought...'why can't moving, attacking stick figures be involved'...its just an idea.

Rather Cheesy
04-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Why not be able to play both sides? Like in certain modes you can play as the creeps, buying what kind of creeps to send and how many, like you'll get X amount of gold to start, you buy the creeps you want to send, and for every creep that gets through gets Y amount of gold for the next round. The computer creates more and more towers to defend against you making it harder as it goes. When you run out of gold you lose.

Paperclip
04-03-2008, 10:21 PM
I also like the idea of playing against a computer where you have to summon your own creeps to run their maze while they do the same. When a creep exits the maze you either gain a life or lose one depending on whose creep ran the maze. Line Tower Wars for those who play Warcraft III.

Rather Cheesy
04-04-2008, 02:14 PM
That sounds fun and original [for flash TD's anyway] to me. You should make it so you can play just the towers or just the creeps as well because not everyone will want to play both at the same time.

Also if you can set up some way to do multi player, that'd be awesome. I have an idea on how to do it to.

You have one map, its identical on both sides like a mirrior image. in the center where the two sides of the maps meat are two "cages" where you and your opponents creeps will come out of and head to your and you opponent's bases. One side gets to place their towers first the other players side has a black box over it so they can't see each others bases. Once hes done the entire screen goes black and waits for player 2 to be ready to place his. Then player 2 goes and the first players side is balckened. While they select their towers they also select their creeps. Once player 2 is ready they press go and both sides send their creeps out, at this point both players can see their opponents set up. then once the round is over. It repeats. One side blackens and sets up their base. Then the other. It repeats until the game is over.

Rune_Blade3000
04-04-2008, 07:22 PM
good idea...
maybe a story mode?
a save game feature in case the story mode's too hard or long
and like most of the other games ( i dont mean TD games )
you start w/ noob weapons and in story mode you can unlock other cool weapons/ defenses whatever you want
maybe also i main character, also participating in game

LN3uq
04-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Finished, though I don't know about the colors.
http://www.swfup.com/file/182371

Tell me when you want the fla, paperclip

MF3dragon
04-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Finished, though I don't know about the colors.
http://www.swfup.com/file/182371

Tell me when you want the fla, paperclip

Omg, thats moves so smooth its kind of creepy, lol. Nice.

You better finish this Paperclip, cause if you don't, I'm gonna steal all your graphics and make it myself. :P

rx00worth
04-12-2008, 04:01 AM
woah, this is such a unique tower game, MAKE IT FASTER, I WANNA BE PLAYING IT!!!

Paperclip
04-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey, guys sorry for the lack of updating. I've been busy with a research paper that I just turned in today. So expect some progress soon.

Kitsune
04-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Sorry, I've been busy too. I'll PM you if I have the time.

rx00worth
04-17-2008, 07:07 AM
fine geez, i will wait longer >_>

Demonix
04-20-2008, 05:25 AM
Looks good and i would help design towers but im hopeless at drawing stuff in flash unless its a stick figure hehe

tyler6270
04-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Uhm, I would love to reply on how it looks but I can not because the images of the towers will not come up on my stupid computer.. But hey it sounds sweet from the comments, and your plans. Good luck mate.

Steyene
04-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Bump from the bottom of my heart

LN3uq
05-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Sorry I haven't done anything in ages. I should have more time in a couple of weeks, and in the summer obviously.
I haven't forgotten though :D

Paperclip
05-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Sorry I haven't done anything in ages. I should have more time in a couple of weeks, and in the summer obviously.
I haven't forgotten though :D
Yeah, neither have I. I've been working slowly, but I am progressing. I'll have sometime to focus after school's out.