PDA

View Full Version : What is a V-Cam? (& other)

Kitsune
03-25-2008, 05:59 PM
I cannot believe I have faltered into finally asking this.

Now, I have been wondering for quite some time some animation skills that lay around unlearned by me so far. V-Cam Is only one of them.

So how does one do a V-Cam? I understand that it IS an Action cam, but how do you go along creating one? would you make the whole background one layer and move it around in keyframes simply? would you make it a movie clip and move that around? It seems to be a big issue in collaborations with a set background, and I am yet to have one like that. I just piece together. =/. I've seen it done with spitzer, and the others, but I wonder if there are any skills/exercises to learn how to do an effectful V-Cam.

Effects on movies, such as blurs, translucent reflections on water, and glows were always a big problem to me because I wanted to apply an effect, or multiple effects to the movie contents while the thing I am trying to apply an effect to is on the main timeline. Without any help I came up with some choices to apply effects: 1. Make the whole layer a movie clip and apply blurs throughout. The problem that comes here is that I cannot view the Movie clip contents on the FLA's Main timeline. It is stuck on the first frame. I haven't tried varying the effects in this method, and I am afraid the movie clip will start over if I put a keyframe on the set of frames to adjust effects throughout the film. 2. Make the single frame a movie clip and apply the effect to that. The only problem is that it seems to make a bit of memory build up in the library.

So if you guys could bear with me to read my big post and help me out as to share how you go along to apply these effects, it would help very much.

Thank you in advance!

Scorpioxxx
03-25-2008, 06:02 PM
The V-cam is a downloadable file. Basicly it's a movieclip that moves whatever is in the 'frame' of the camera to the shown area when an animation is exported. You just stick it on the top layer (on it own) resize it and tween/move it to where you need it to show something. I'd dig yyou out the download but im lazy and im sure you'll be able to find it on flashkit.

Gavel
03-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Just Google it, download the FLA and copy it from the FLA into your animation. There's also a thread in the Flash Tutorials section made by Mesmay which he titled "Flash Game Screen". It shows you how to make one that shows text and images moving along with the V-Cam, which would be good for, say, a signature in a collab.

Kitsune
03-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Holy shit! How could I not know that existed!!! It makes me feel dumb to animate for 2 years yet not know this invention! Thank you!

So any coverage on the second question?

Scorpioxxx
03-25-2008, 06:25 PM
If you could reword it it would help. I think your asking about the fact that you can't see MCs in the main timeline without exporting the animation. Usualy I just stick blank frames at the end of the nimation in the clip so that if I do add an extra frame in the main timeline it just plays the blank one. As for the bit about the mc restarting, you can tween effects like blurring on MCs with one frame but for the multiple frame ones I just put each fraome in a seperate clip.

Kitsune
03-25-2008, 06:33 PM
3x post?

Umm, it is not a technical error in flash or anything, but I am merely asking how to simply apply effects. Apply effects of drawn frames. They have to be movie clips I realize to apply filters, but what method would anyone suggest would work best to apply them?

Omega
03-25-2008, 06:33 PM
And Scorpio posts 3 times in a row. EDIT: Damn, Kitsune beat me to it.

If you want to apply a filter for only one frame, then convert everything on that one frame to a movie clip, and then apply away. If there's a memory buildup, it can't be helped. Try frame-by-framing SHOCK 2. Terkoiz had to convert EVERY frame he wanted to be blurred, into a movie clip. (I'll bet there must have been 100+ movie clips in his library JUST for blurs)

There IS another way though. Finish an animation, and then drag all the frames into one movie clip. Let's say your animation is 20 frames. Drag the movie clip out onto the stage and make sure the timeline has 20 frames: equal to the amount of frames in your movie clip. Make sure that the frames are all individual keyframes.
Now, let's say you want the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 15th, and 19th frames in your animation filtered. Simply click on the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 15th, and 19th frames on the timeline and apply your filters.
That way, all those filters can be applied with only ONE Movie clip in your library.

That probably doesn't make sense to you. I don't recommend it anyway. It's very clumsy.

Scorpioxxx
03-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Awsome, I can beat the 30second rule, better go delete 2 of 'em though. Still don't really get your question. For moving movielcips I think tweening them still plays the whole clip but im not sure about tweening effects, adding a new keyframe however to change the effects would reset the clip to frame 1.

Kitsune
03-25-2008, 06:41 PM
I am talking about adding filters to frames. I put the movie into the movie clip and apply filters onto the movie clip to apply filters to the movie. The movie clip is on the main time line. That is one method I use to apply effects and filters to a movie. I am not talking about V-Cam anymore.

Omega
03-25-2008, 06:42 PM
I am talking about adding filters to frames. I put the movie into the movie clip and apply filters onto the movie clip to apply filters to the movie. The movie clip is on the main time line. That is one method I use to apply effects and filters to a movie. I am not talking about V-Cam anymore.

...did you read my clumsy yet working method? (above)

Cryoma
03-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Lots of people ask if you can use vcam for special effects, nice negativity.
You could if you modified the code itself, but I don't think applying filters to the actual cam will do anything, or at least do what you want exactly.

Kitsune
03-25-2008, 07:01 PM
And Scorpio posts 3 times in a row. EDIT: Damn, Kitsune beat me to it.

If you want to apply a filter for only one frame, then convert everything on that one frame to a movie clip, and then apply away. If there's a memory buildup, it can't be helped. Try frame-by-framing SHOCK 2. Terkoiz had to convert EVERY frame he wanted to be blurred, into a movie clip. (I'll bet there must have been 100+ movie clips in his library JUST for blurs)

There IS another way though. Finish an animation, and then drag all the frames into one movie clip. Let's say your animation is 20 frames. Drag the movie clip out onto the stage and make sure the timeline has 20 frames: equal to the amount of frames in your movie clip. Make sure that the frames are all individual keyframes.
Now, let's say you want the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 15th, and 19th frames in your animation filtered. Simply click on the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 15th, and 19th frames on the timeline and apply your filters.
That way, all those filters can be applied with only ONE Movie clip in your library.

That probably doesn't make sense to you. I don't recommend it anyway. It's very clumsy.

I did that for my twilight surface film for shadows in the water all with a blur on them. It is the method I was talking about the whole time!

I've had 6 problems with that method. I'll do the FBF filter.

Thank you Omega and Scorpio. I will do the method of FBF and share the VCam with slanted and use it all the time from now on.

Thank you!

Lots of people ask if you can use vcam for special effects, nice negativity.
You could if you modified the code itself, but I don't think applying filters to the actual cam will do anything, or at least do what you want exactly.

First of all, Beautiful signature.

Second, you didn't get my question. The questions were answered, and this topic is overwith.

Thank you!