PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Vista

MiniMan
03-29-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm thinking of moving to Vista with 2GB of Ram, A 2GHz dual core CPU and a nvidia geforce 8600. I'm getting ultimate but what bit should I get? 32? 64? 84? And what do they all ****ing mean?

And I've heard of driver problems with Vista. Like a lot of stuff can't be used with Vista, but that would only mean things like webcams or printers right?

Shanto
03-29-2008, 02:20 PM
DONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADO NTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONT GETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGE TVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETV ISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTA

I have it.

XP is better.

Don't get vista.

Covalence
03-29-2008, 02:23 PM
DONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADO NTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONT GETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGE TVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETV ISTADONTGETVISTADONTGETVISTA

I have it.

XP is better.

Don't get vista.

care to tell why

Paco
03-29-2008, 02:24 PM
alright so you will have 2 gigs of ram and all that which solves the speed problem. im not sure about the 32,64 or 84.
and as of the driver stuff, look it up. cause i have the same problem i have vista and want to go to xp but i have to make sure that my laptop is
compatible since it came with vista. though only reason i am downgrading is because its slows down my laptop with its 512 ram :P
i can use my printer that worked on my xp on my lap top fine just look it up or get a new printer.

MiniMan
03-29-2008, 02:52 PM
But I don't have a printer, so I should be good. Although I'm thinking of getting a webcam.

tragedy
03-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Alot of stuff like games dont work for Vista unless it was made in the Vista time period. Also some programs might not work. Overall you should get Vista because soon all new releases will be for Vista only.

MiniMan
03-29-2008, 03:19 PM
That's a bit of a stretch, why would older games not work? If anything wouldn't they run better with DX10?

NobodY
03-29-2008, 04:11 PM
*shocked by the idiotcy in heres*

Vista requires 2Gigs of RAM, no matter how much u have 2-3Gigs it would not matter how much vista will suck from your ram, your pc/laptop will suck

Games dont work for Vista because they were made pre vista, so most likely they cant adapt to the new OS and other software updates. This includes your DirectX10, 10 is pointless unless you have vista, which is more of a way to foce you to go to vista if you want that application.

Driver problems are due to OS Xp and lower trying to adapt to the Vista new programing. In theroy it should work like the previous window OS, but since bill gates wants to make even more money he will make more corrupted releases and versions of Vista. Overall if you want some old programs dont upgrade to vista.

It actually seems like your buying a new system not "switching".
From what it looks like your pc is minimal for regular computer users. I'd suggest buying it, then downgrade to XP. 2gigs of ram is ok, 2ghz dual is fine (i'm guessing a intel processor huh? - AMD is better) the graphic card is ok too. Make sure to check your ram slots, if you are able to upgrade beyond the 2gigs.

MiniMan
03-29-2008, 04:43 PM
The processor is AMD. I know I can upgrade with more RAM, I have two more slots. The computer is really my gaming rig. What will it do to older games? Will I be able to play Half-Life 2?

Nodd
03-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Miniman, stay with XP, moving to Vista just doesn't make any sense..
Just upgrade your graphics card, get some moar ram, and play your little videogames.

MiniMan
03-29-2008, 04:50 PM
But DX10 is so sexy and I've heard isa has cool features like using a USB flash stick as RAM.

Nodd
03-29-2008, 04:59 PM
But DX10 is so sexy and I've heard isa has cool features like using a USB flash stick as RAM.

No, that's not how it fucking works.
It lets you use the USB flash stick as an extra paging file, which is ****ing useless as shit if you've got decent HD space on your computer.
DX10 isn't worth it.

Fringo
03-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Vista all the way. Every single game I've downloaded works for Vista.
I have 1.5 gigs of ram and my computer is fast. Also, I have a webcam and it works fine.

Aperture
03-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Not to mention that vista fucked up bad enough to the point that Microsoft has gave away 1 year of technical service. And the fact that piracy is a no-no.

2-D
03-29-2008, 05:03 PM
protip: 32bit = 86bit

64bit OS' are a lot faster, though sometimes 32bit programs don't run on them.

Most 32 applications are just emulated, like mine.
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8831/54815795ve8.jpg
they run just like any application, theres no difference really.

Every once and a while you might come by a program that won't run on 64bit, usually its drivers, so check to see if your drivers have a 64bit.

the only thing i couldn't get to install was flash cs3, but i don't know if thats because I have 64bit of if im just doing something wrong.

edddat: yeah miniman, didn't I tell you that stupid ram thing vista has isn't like real ram, just cache stupid shit

MiniMan
03-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Well I use Flash 8 anyway. I see no reason to not switch to Vista. I may just get 32 bit just to avoid the hassle of drivers and shit unless I feel like checking to see if most of the programs I use can run 64 bit but I'll most likely be lazy and get 32 bit.

2-D
03-29-2008, 05:17 PM
well, all you do is when youre on the site and they ask what OS you have you just choose Vista - 64bit

its not being lazy, cause if you had 32, you'd just be choosing 32

youre not doing any more super hard tough work as you would if you didn't choose 32.

MiniMan
03-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Ah, alright and since 64 bit is faster, why not. And I'm sure if there is a program that can't run Vista I'm sure I can find an alternative.

2-D
03-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Well, its been over a year since vista came out, and the service pack 1 is out, so if programs and driver people havent gotten with the times, they are fags.

the one i downloaded was "Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Integrated February 2008 OEM DVD9-BIE" if you care.

MiniMan
03-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Alright cool, now to find a decent speed download.

2-D
03-29-2008, 05:39 PM
i'll let you use my torrentleech account

get on msn

MiniMan
03-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Can't, this damned computer can't install SP2 and thus, can't install msn messenger. Get on Steam.

2-D
03-29-2008, 05:50 PM
i am on steam, how about you get on it too

MiniMan
03-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Shit, thought I was on. Hold on signing in.