PDA

View Full Version : Another Stick Figure Animation Tool - Stickure Animator v0.2.1.7

caswal
07-10-2009, 07:46 AM
I was shown Pivot by someone and was quite unimpressed by the way you have to animate in it, but I loved the idea! So I took it upon myself to start to write a my own stick figure animation tool. Just too add to the growing list of tools available and for a bit of fun.

This is still a work in progress tool. It can animate the stick figure, save and open animations.

It can be downloaded from my site (caswal.com), but as I am yet to of made 20 posts I can't post the link.

Rough users guide:

At the very bottom of the window is the Key Frame bar, the green line is the current frame, any Red boxes are key frames for the currently selected bone. Right clicking on a Key frame will remove it.

The 2 numbered boxes at the end of the key frame bar are the start and end frame for the Key frame bar to display.

Clicking near or past the end of the bone will make it orange. This can only now be done with the selection tool (Shortcut S). (I don't like this, will change in the future). You can then change to Rotation (R), Stretch/Squash(T) and Move (Z).

Screenshot:
http://caswal.com/media/blogs/Caswal/stickure0.2.1.7screenshot.png

Current Feature List:
Saving and Loading of Animations
Basic Key frame animation system
Rotation
Squash and Stretch

Bugs:
Square Stick figure head
Selecting bones can be a bit funky
Probably many others, report them here would be great!

Future Feature list:
Animation Exporting - GIFs, AVIs
Bone Structure creator - Create your own stick figures
Custom Bone creation - Draw your own shaped bones
Animation Curve Editor - Allows you to control the acceleration of your bones to and from key frames.
Bone texturing - So you can apply textures/sprites onto the bones, to make more interesting characters
Inverse Kinematics - You just move the end node of the arm/leg etc to where you want it, and the bones will rotate themselves to get there correctly.
Blur
Glow
Particle System

Please make feature requests! The more people respond to it, the more likely I am to work on it cheesygrin)

Covalence
07-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Honestly, this doesn't look that much better than Pivot. I understand it's a work in progress, but the animation system seems about the same. Drag and drop parts of a figure, move on to the next frame, etc. I know you liked the idea of how you animate in Pivot, but what do you mean unimpressed with it? Both your program and Pivot basically have to do the same thing.

Avian
07-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Honestly, this is almost the same as Pivot.

You did it in C++ ?

caswal
07-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Unless I miss understood how pivot works, mine is not a "move onto next frame"

It more works like: Put the frame to 24, put the bones where you want them at that frame, and my program fills in the previous 23 frames for you.

Avian
07-10-2009, 08:32 AM
And did you did it in C++ ?

Oh, and a question : no virus ?

caswal
07-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Made in C#, should be virus free I try and keep my pc as clean as possible.

On my site I added a link to a demo video should hopefully clear up what I currently does.

Stormwalker
07-10-2009, 09:31 AM

It more works like: Put the frame to 24, put the bones where you want them at that frame, and my program fills in the previous 23 frames for you.

And exactly whats the point of this? you wont really learn or animate anything , the program will do most for you ( pretty badly as well) I just don't really see the point of this program, but good luck with it.

Avian
07-10-2009, 09:42 AM
It always freezes my computer when I start it.

Covalence
07-10-2009, 11:21 AM

There's already a program called TISFAT that automatically tweens for you.
Along with that, frame by frame animating > tweening

teh aninminator
07-10-2009, 12:58 PM
the program looks almost exactly the same except the square head which sucks. but some of the ideas are interesting, i would love to see blur, glow, and texture in pivot.

Vorpal
07-10-2009, 01:15 PM

It more works like: Put the frame to 24, put the bones where you want them at that frame, and my program fills in the previous 23 frames for you.If it automatically fills the frames in for you it is missing a crucial part of animating fluently. Which is easing, without that alone stick figures will look half as smooth regardless of how many frames you pump in to it. I myself would rather take the time and make an animation that looks nicer than a long animation that took no time or effort. That way I wouldn't feel nearly as accomplished, but I digress that I have used pivot for far to long to change to another similar program.

I have just discovered a bug, if you go to open animation and exit that the figure disappears. If not that it is coincidence, however I now believe pivot is a superior program. Seeing as how in pivot you can have multiple stick figures out at once, this program limits you to one. In pivot you get onion skin, a tool all the greatest programs have, this program has no onion skin. You must go click to select a joint, go down on the joint you want. Then go back up to the button, go select your joint. This made a simple walk tedious and made it seem like it would take even longer overall even though the frames would get filled.

teh aninminator
07-10-2009, 01:33 PM
so you downloaded it? i think the part thats really pathetic about it is the square heads lol. but if theres no onionskin theres no way im gettin it.
@abyssal: you should make an anim on it and post it here. you made some scarf ninja anims without onionskin, how hard can this be?

Vorpal
07-10-2009, 01:38 PM
so you downloaded it? i think the part thats really pathetic about it is the square heads lol. but if theres no onionskin theres no way im gettin it.
@abyssal: you should make an anim on it and post it here. you made some scarf ninja anims without onionskin, how hard can this be?
It isn't hard but it is tedious, besides this program wont even allow me to have a scarf therefor my animating power is debilitated .

leadraider
07-10-2009, 07:17 PM
im sorry its not a bad idea well kinda but the square head looks ridiculous and it doesnt animate that well for you

caswal
07-10-2009, 07:42 PM
*sigh*

The key frame animation system is exactly how animation is done with all the 3D animation packages such as 3D Studio Max, Maya, SoftImage etc. They do not animate frame by frame. That does not debilitate their animation abilities, or how smooth the animation is etc and frame by frame animation is not the corner stone of animation techniques and learning to animate.

Once the curve editor is in for each keyframe it will no longer be a standard tween. You will have the ability to control how it interpolates between frames. So if you want Fast in, Fast out, but slow transition you can.

Yes it has a square head, its a work in progress it will be fixed at the same time I put in the ability to build custom bone rigs for different figures. It is in my bug list.

But anyway, I have got far better feedback from other places which is helping me improve the tool so I might just leave this here and let it slide down the forum.

If people don't want to help out with a tool after its first week, which will be ongoing for the next few months thats fine.

Vorpal
07-10-2009, 09:26 PM
*sigh*

The key frame animation system is exactly how animation is done with all the 3D animation packages such as 3D Studio Max, Maya, SoftImage etc. They do not animate frame by frame. That does not debilitate their animation abilities, or how smooth the animation is etc and frame by frame animation is not the corner stone of animation techniques and learning to animate.

Once the curve editor is in for each keyframe it will no longer be a standard tween. You will have the ability to control how it interpolates between frames. So if you want Fast in, Fast out, but slow transition you can.

Yes it has a square head, its a work in progress it will be fixed at the same time I put in the ability to build custom bone rigs for different figures. It is in my bug list.

But anyway, I have got far better feedback from other places which is helping me improve the tool so I might just leave this here and let it slide down the forum.

If people don't want to help out with a tool after its first week, which will be ongoing for the next few months thats fine.
no no, don't get me wrong.
I know how the key frame system works of course, however that isn't what I found a problem with. I discovered that there isn't the same level of smoothness through a motion tween because using motion tween doesn't automatically ease. I could control the frames manually, it is just to tedious to do so. Granted that there are some nice capabilities in this program, I just dislike it.

I recommend: More figures.
onion skin.
The ability to create your own stick figures.

I am not a program designer, therefor I am incapable of assisting you in any way further. However if you need someone to test animating in it during updates ect, feel free to send me a private message.

Flood
07-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Actually this doesn't look like a bad idea. I'm sure other flashers like me, who hate pivot, like me, would think it would be a lot better to update it and make it better.

Tork
07-11-2009, 12:20 PM
you can make it better by making layers avaible.
and some features like, blur.
GL
i'd like to try it out :)