PDA

View Full Version : Re: Stykz Animation

AsSeenOnTV
08-18-2009, 10:43 PM
The last one failed. Didn't see it? Never will.

New one, one of my best animations EVER all thanks to Stykz.
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p377/AsSeenOnTV6/drawing.gif
Meh. I got lazy at the end.

Cronos
08-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Well, imo, its better than just about all of the people in DD's inters section, and equal to some to the veterans.

It was perfectly smooth ect ect ect.

Imo, high inters. I really think thats a fair rank.

Zed
08-19-2009, 03:59 AM
As he draws the second line on the 'A' his left arm bends backwards. Besides that, flawless.

Rival
08-19-2009, 05:41 AM
Well, imo, its better than just about all of the people in DD's inters section, and equal to some to the veterans.

It was perfectly smooth ect ect ect.

Imo, high inters. I really think thats a fair rank.

but this is made in styks, not pivot.

Scarecrow
08-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Hmmm... perhaps we shouldn't be so easily disregarding stykz as a possibility for animation...

Rival
08-19-2009, 06:35 AM
oh so true...

Avian
08-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Pretty smooth.

And what the hell is Stykz ?

stykzman
08-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Pretty smooth.

And what the hell is Stykz ?

It's a cross-platform (Mac, Windows, and soon to be Linux) stick figure animation program that's designed to be a superset of Pivot 2... you can find out more at the Stykz web site (stykz dot net). It's in the "Release Candidate" stage, meaning we're really close to an official 1.0 release, so there are still some bugs in it you might encounter, but it's really worth taking a look at, and it is being actively developed, so features/fixes are rolling out all the time...

Cronos
08-21-2009, 01:57 AM
And what features does it have that pivot doesn't?

Zed
08-21-2009, 02:28 AM
From the looks of it, curved lines.

stykzman
08-21-2009, 03:39 AM
And what features does it have that pivot doesn't?

Here you go:

individually colored line segments
ability to select and move multiple stick figures at once
copy and paste one or more figures
a "polyfill" tool that lets you create filled areas in a figure super-easily
export to Quicktime .mov
you can edit sticks in place and manipulate individual segments any time you want without having to make a new figure
you can shift figures either to front, to back, forward one layer, or backwards one layer
you can do the same thing with individual line segments in a figure, so for a typical stick man you could have one arm go behind the head and one go in front
you can switch to a preview mode to see how a frame looks without having to play the animation
you can use a frame "scrubber" to quickly scan a set of frames to see how they look also without having to play the animation
the "next frame" button doesn't jump to the end of the frames if you're on a frame that's not the last one - it just takes you to the next frame
you can drag-and-drop figures in .styk files (like .stk in Piv) from a Library palette to the main window, and send figures you create in the main window to the Library directly
you can create new sticks by "drawing" their segments (you have to see this to really understand)
you can export individual frames as GIF, PNG, or transparent PNG
you can export the entire animation to a series of GIF, PNG, or transparent PNG files
You can display a backdrop behind Stykz that covers up your desktop and helps you focus on animating
You can choose how you want the onionskins displayed, either using a solid color or using the actual colors of the figure being "onionskinned", with a user-settable level of opacity
You can export a frame or an entire animation to a series of transparent PNG files
You can drag .styk files out of the Library to the desktop if you want
You can turn on or off the antialiasing of segments in a figure (segments are antialiased by default

There's more, but that'll give you an idea, and Stykz is under active development, so more stuff will be added as time goes on.

poppetje3D
08-21-2009, 04:20 AM
Wait...
This is off topic , isn't it?

Cronos
08-21-2009, 08:40 AM
stykzman: It sounds great. Im trying to figure out what some it means, but, are any of these functions included?

Undo/Redo
Layers
Gradients
Export as 100% quality bitmap/jpeg
Do colors still get .gif raped?
What are the Fps restraints
Being able to copy/paste frames, and/or sticks/objects.
Stick creator?

It sounds like it will be worth taking a look at, when its finished.

AsSeenOnTV
08-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Undo/Redo
yes
Layers
no
Gradients
probably later
Export as 100% quality bitmap/jpeg
yes
yes
What are the Fps restraints
1-33, gif can be anything
Being able to copy/paste frames, and/or sticks/objects.
no, yes
Stick creator?
constantly

kingsmash
08-21-2009, 10:53 AM
i downloaded stkyz and it kicks ass IMO this is something i kinda rush
http://www.truploader.com/uploads/573345walktestedit.gif
i know the loop was really off but stykz is relly just like pivot but better I THINK WE SHOULD HAVE A STYKZ SECTION IN THE FORUM

Rival
08-21-2009, 12:33 PM
I guess you just need a bit experience -_-

kingsmash
08-21-2009, 01:24 PM
haha yea i guess =)

stykzman
08-21-2009, 07:35 PM
ASOT is right on all the things you asked about, except I want to be clear about the GIF raping issue - Stykz lets you pick from either a Web Colors palette, or a 24-bit color palette. The Web Colors are for GIF export, and the 24-bit colors are for Quicktime export. If you stick with the Web Colors, your animations don't get "GIFfed", but if you pick from the 24-bit color palette, they probably will be.

Cronos
08-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Ok, well it sounds good, ill definetly check it out later.

ipwnall
08-25-2009, 11:25 PM
That was pretty cool and original. I haven't seen much made in stykz, but that's pretty swell. The movements were good but the spacing was really really slow and at times the figure was in quite awkward positions. Anyway nice job.

MaxZ
08-25-2009, 11:54 PM
STYKZ CURED MAH CANCER.

Real story

AsSeenOnTV
08-26-2009, 09:57 AM
That was pretty cool and original. I haven't seen much made in stykz, but that's pretty swell. The movements were good but the spacing was really really slow and at times the figure was in quite awkward positions. Anyway nice job.
I'll actually consider your advice because I've seen your animations before.

kidwiththeshoes
08-29-2009, 05:04 PM
but this is made in styks, not pivot.

Why post it in pivot section then :S?

Zed
08-30-2009, 05:17 AM
We havn't got a styks section yet. It sounds similar enough to pivot to be allowed in.