PDA

View Full Version : Can't Afford Flash? Pencil Get.

Flood
08-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Pencil is an animation/drawing software for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux. It lets you create traditional hand-drawn animation (cartoon) using both bitmap and vector graphics. Pencil is free and open source.

Why Pencil?

I have always loved animation. As a child, I tried to make some animation by drawing in notebooks but the result was somewhat unsatisfactory. Nowadays, computers make animation much easier. However, there is surprisingly almost no free cross-platform software for traditional animation.
I was lucky to find "Pencil Planner" by Patrick Corrieri, a little programme for pencil tests. I decided to improve it and use it as a basis to build a bitmap/vector animation program.

Pencil is not intended to mimick web-oriented vector-based animation software such as Flash. Its main purpose is to make traditional animation. Neither does it try to rival commercial software targetting the professional animation sector. Pencil is intended to be a simple programme enabling anyone to make 2D animation. - Devoloper

Screenshots
http://www.pencil-animation.org/index.php?id=Screenshots

So where do I download it?

Right here, bro.
http://www.pencil-animation.org/index.php?id=Download

Sticky please?

Cory
08-27-2009, 08:36 PM
i thought i posted somthing like this awhile back

edit:
never mind i was thinking of toon boom
http://www.stickpageportal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76169m

Flood
08-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Bump. Is this sticky worthy? It'll help stop the "HOW DO I GT FLSH HLP!1!1!111!!1!" Threads.

Shanto
08-28-2009, 05:27 PM
I caught a tuna!

But this is cool.

Avian
08-29-2009, 03:28 AM
I already tried it, and it crashes a lot.

Upps
08-29-2009, 06:07 AM
It's pretty good to be honest.

Flood
08-29-2009, 08:08 AM
I already tried it, and it crashes a lot.

Just save your work, often.

Devour
08-29-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm expecting some "Get easytoon instead" posts soon.
Also, I dont really get pencil at all.

kingsmash
08-29-2009, 07:57 PM
I would recommended this ONLY and ONLY if you cant afford flash and need an alternative

Flood
09-01-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm expecting some "Get easytoon instead" posts soon.
Also, I dont really get pencil at all.

Whats not to get, its basically the same thing as flash. Draw something, f7. Repeat.

Vile.
09-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Most of the people on this forum are pirates yknow.

Flood
09-01-2009, 06:16 PM
So, the people who aren't can use this.

zackfire17
09-01-2009, 06:22 PM
I've used it before, and I liked it, but I always gravitated to easytoon. Just personal preference I guess. Mostly because I have flash already so it was just the cool traditional style that I liked.

Tidus
09-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Shot through the heart, and you're to blame. You give love a bad name.

Don't download it just for the screenshots you saw. Also, as was said before, only download this if you're too retarted to get flash for free.
Seriously.
No one can afford flash here. Well, we can, but who'd spend €800,- on something you can download in under 8 hours....?

Flood
09-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Actually there are a lot of people who buy flash. Other wise Adobe would go out of business.

Tidus
09-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Actually there are a lot of people who buy flash. Other wise Adobe would go out of business.
Yeah but I don't think alot of people in here, or any other animation community we know, would buy it.

Despite that I do think this is worthy of a sticky.. He is right about there being alot of questions on how to get Flash. And we are not allowed to answer those different than: "Go buy it".

Flood
09-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Why thank you. Unfortunately mods never come to this section.
:U