PDA

View Full Version : Is this beginner?

ElderKingpin
09-02-2009, 05:49 PM
So, after months on and off of editing i have a really rough copy of my first "Decent" length pivot. I have to get the drunken movement as close as possible. so its still a rough copy.

The first one is a little tribute to Shaolin Soccer's steel leg, the second one is the real one. I am actually looking to pivoting extreme martial arts choreography, and i have to work out, smoothness, easing, and realism before i reach that point. The drunken master one was also, my first animation to use punch and kick combos

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr320/ElderKingpin/SteelLeg.gif

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr320/ElderKingpin/DrunkenMaster.gif

and THIS, is one of my firsts

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr320/ElderKingpin/FutureGuard.gif

kingsmash
09-02-2009, 06:40 PM
some parts were choppy and uneased so work on easing,some basics,and reactions,oh and anticipation

ElderKingpin
09-02-2009, 07:30 PM
whats anticipation thinking out what scene is next?

Jester
09-02-2009, 07:43 PM
anticipation is essentially all the frames leading up to a climatic explosion of movement. It's similiar to easing I suppose, except... it isn't.

Jester
09-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

that's like the fourth time I've seen you post that.... are you just trying to get more posts or something?

ElderKingpin
09-02-2009, 07:53 PM
any help with SPECIFIC frames or action scenes? details help me improve it

Jester
09-02-2009, 08:02 PM
the first one's physics were way off and it didn't have enought force in the kicks. It just looked like he was spinning. Also, it needed a ground, so that your people weren't wobbling. Pretty good on smoothing, and the easing could have used work, although at one point i did recognize a good usage of it.

Second one, was pretty good with force behind hits, but at multiple parts the characters just flipped horizontally. You should learn how to make them turn in a 3D manner instead. Every now and then it was choppy, or skittery, but otherwise it was fairly smooth, and well eased(could be better of course, always room for improvement).

The third one, was your first, so theres no use in me criticizing it now is there? If I were to say anything, it would just be work on the choppiness and the effects (changing colors, slow motion, phasing into view, etc, etc.)

all in all, they are good. Smooth, i suppose, in places, well eased in others. But I would have to say you are a beginner. And if someone were to disagree with me, I would have to say that even if you weren't a beginner, I think you could still learn more from staying in the beginners section. Learning off your piers and such.

EDIT** and if any parts were VERY well eased and smooth, I would have to say it's the drunken boxing parts. Very good IMO.
EDIT#2** Oh, and you should probably practice alot more with physics if you are going to pull off a realistic drunken boxing. Lots of balance is needed in that style, so if you want to reflect that in your animation, you will need to be very precise.

ElderKingpin
09-02-2009, 08:05 PM
what about on the second one. The fight combo

Jester
09-02-2009, 08:15 PM
As far as your hand to hand combat goes, I think it's very good. Most people make the mistake of making the characters too close, or not moving their feet. Or its all punching, but I think yours are great with the jumping, moving, punching, kicking. Of course though, no matter how much I like it... Always room for improvement.

Zed
09-03-2009, 11:58 AM
You'd have to be absolutely dreadful to have not even made it to beginner rank. Ahh, I know what you meant. Yes, I would consider that beginner, although not low. It's much better than your old stuff and the choreography is good. What drags it down is probably the style you're trying to do. Drunken animating is incredibly difficult because you not only have to get the swaying in and stuff but drunks still adhear to the laws of physics. Your people have a tendancy to float now and then which you need to work on. The other thing is foot placement: again hard to incorporate without conveying a degree of sobriety, but still absolutely crucial.

Keep trying with this, but you'll need to spend some time working out how you're going to put the basics in around the effect.

zawmbee
09-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Yes. .

ElderKingpin
09-03-2009, 01:56 PM
You'd have to be absolutely dreadful to have not even made it to beginner rank. Ahh, I know what you meant. Yes, I would consider that beginner, although not low. It's much better than your old stuff and the choreography is good. What drags it down is probably the style you're trying to do. Drunken animating is incredibly difficult because you not only have to get the swaying in and stuff but drunks still adhear to the laws of physics. Your people have a tendancy to float now and then which you need to work on. The other thing is foot placement: again hard to incorporate without conveying a degree of sobriety, but still absolutely crucial.

Keep trying with this, but you'll need to spend some time working out how you're going to put the basics in around the effect.

What do you mean by "float" whats the difference between easing, and floating?

kidwiththeshoes
09-03-2009, 02:00 PM
You'll know when you're med beginner when things in your animation stop flying. :)

ElderKingpin
09-03-2009, 02:12 PM

Point out exactly where foot placement is please ._.

Zed
09-03-2009, 03:20 PM
When I say 'float' I mean he isn't effected by gravity for too long. When a person's not touching the floor they can hang for at the most one frame and that's just easing. They should be going constantly downwards at a steadily increasing rate unless they started off going upwards in which case they should slow down, stop, and then go down.

Foot placement refers to not letting things slide across the floor (usually, and in this case, feet). When you walk along, for instance, your feet will be on the same bit of ground until you pick them up again unless the surface is really slippery. In your animations, the sticks feet are all over the place. It's obvious why you've done it - it helps add to the drunkenness - but really you need to try to find a way to keep the feet still on the floor while still swaying the upper body.

insanesk8er!!
09-05-2009, 03:21 AM
I think the animations were way to choppy and the sticks stayed in the air to long. Work on physics and easing

ElderKingpin
09-05-2009, 09:43 AM
why are you the only person to mention choppiness :/

zawmbee
09-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Yeah, they were really choppy.
Better now?

poppetje3D
09-05-2009, 10:06 AM
To answer your question.
Yes.

Veb
09-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Yes it is. Sorry to say.

bubbles
09-28-2009, 02:22 PM
I think that the main problem was stiffness. once you,ve mastered fluid motion then they will be BRILLIANT!!:Smile: