PDA

View Full Version : Editing Multiple Frames [Flash][Advice]

Kitsune
04-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Reason For Making:
This tutorial is brought upon you all due to this fact: Many of you give up on animations, or completely waste your time multiple times on animations just because you do not know this oh so useful and simple tool.

The Edit Multiple Frames Tool has been around since SP has been around, and I cannot believe that there is no Tutorial, nor a person I have met that also knows this tool.

Intro!:
In My film, A Twilight Surface, My adviser told me that I should make the water a lighter shade of gray. I found this unfeasible at the moment until I fell upon the Edit Multiple Frames Tool. This tool allows you to change as many frames as you want in a single layer as long as you do the same thing to it.

This includes:

Changing Color
Erasing a section in the movie. We'll go over this after you've learned this tool.
Moving among the stage with the arrow keys
Changing Line OR Fill Color (god, you're so unlimited)
TURN LINES INTO ****ING FILLS!!! I know that some of you hate those complex lines in these stick movies. You can do that outlining effect with stickfigures and turn them into fills at a MASS pace.
Free Transform that shit! We'll say your movie doesn't fit dimensions required to get into a collaboration. Use the Edit Multiple Frames, and use free transform to shrink it and make it fit in the smaller canvas!
Basically, any other tool under Modify in the top toolbar. Distribute to layers, break apart for texts and symbols, and really a large cornucopia of possibilities.
etc. (I can't come up with more examples, but I'm sure those reasons are enough to learn this tool. I'm also sure there are more uses you find if you explore.)

How to do it!:
The process is so simple, I cannot believe some veterans of the flashical arts I've seen are yet to know such things.

I'll give this in slowly explained steps. Once you read about 4 lines, and you understand, just go to the next step, I tend to repeat myself and over-explain things.

1. Click the EDIT MULTIPLE FRAMES Button.
This button is located right next to the Onion Skin Outlines button, and two buttons away from out familiar ONION SKIN Button we use to look at previous frames.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/sertymopler/pic1tut.jpg

SIDENOTE: If you do not know what onion skin is, read this note. Otherwise, continue to step 2. An onion skin is a tool for animating where you see the frames before or after the one you're on now. Say you draw a stickfigure in frame one. You go to frame 2 and turn onion skin on. You will see a lighter stickfigure in the same exact condition as how you drew it. It's used to keep track of animation progress, and body movement. The onion skin tool is highlighted in the above screenshot. If you have any questions about this, say so in a reply and I'll elaborate.

2. Arrange the frames wanted to be edited.
In this step, you may have to use some brain matter to understand.
This tool works just like the onion skin tool. It has two brackets above the timeline that bound what will be edited. Everything in between the brackets will be edited. Click the circle in the center of this bracket and drag it on top of the frames to bound and limit what frames you wish to edit.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/sertymopler/pic2tut.jpg

3. Select the frames.
You've shown the program which frames you wish to edit by bounding them in the brackets. Now you need to select the things in the frames.
"But I can't select everything all at once!!"
This can be easily dealt with. Go to EDIT at the top toolbar (with file, view, control, and that other good shit). Now click SELECT ALL. This highlights everything in all of the frames you've bounded in the brackets.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/sertymopler/pic3tut.jpg

4. Do what you will.
You've selected a symbol in flash by clicking it, and moved it around the screen a few times right? Now this is the same thing at a larger scale. Everything selected you can now control. You can move all of it among the stage with the Arrow Keys. You can change all fill colors and line colors. You can Modify>Shape>Convert lines to fills. To your Whole movie you can just make them fills. How ****ing ueber super rad awesome cool is that!?
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/sertymopler/pic4tut.jpg

Notes:
-This tool also changes around your onion skin. Make sure you change it back to your original skin modification after use.
-This tool, when doing it to over 100 frames can be a hassle even for fast computers. Give the tool some time to work.
-When using this, it does it to EVERYTHING in the frame and the layer. Make sure you don't make a complex full body model all black because you accidentally changed a color. (Thank god for Undo). This tool does not limit itself except for symbols. If you change a color while having selected a symbol, just like normal, it will not change.
-I said before, in the possibilities, erasing a section in your movie. If you have a bunch of frames, and you need room at the bottom for a signature or advertisement or whatever, you can break apart all of the symbols with edit multiple frames, keep edit multiple frames on, and just stretch your eraser across the bottom of the screen to make a space where there's no movie. Neat, huh?
-Using any tools like brush, pencil, line, or any other adding will cancel the selection of the frames. If you have a slow computer, and have to wait for the frames to be selected when editing in mass, be careful not to select the wrong tool.
-Experiment to add more notes. Also comment if any troubles come along so I can add notes of your troubles and woez.

Dudeman
04-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Needs some screens.

Not a bad so far. I'd throw in an onion skin part before the multi frame editing part and you've got a pretty solid tutorial.

I <3 all my onion skin palls.

Kitsune
04-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Needs some screens.

Not a bad so far. I'd throw in an onion skin part before the multi frame editing part and you've got a pretty solid tutorial.

I <3 all my onion skin palls.

I'll do that. I'm putting screens up now.

Raffi
04-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Nice tut. I didn't know what multiple frames was until I got MSN, which was a year after I got Flash ._.

EDIT MULTIPLE FRAMES IS SO FUCKING USEFUL

Kitsune
04-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Nice tut. I didn't know what multiple frames was until I got MSN, which was a year after I got Flash ._.

EDIT MULTIPLE FRAMES IS SO FUCKING USEFUL

Thanks! Hooray for a finished tut!

Comments/notes would be huegly appreciated.

Meai
05-22-2008, 02:22 PM
It just wont work for me! Pls help me, im wasting so much time :(
I want to edit the single frame attribute of one graphic object on around 30 frames. I place the onion markers and select my graphic object..but IT ONLY CHANGES THE LAST SINGLE FRAME?!:Nooooooo:

Kitsune
05-31-2008, 09:12 PM
It just wont work for me! Pls help me, im wasting so much time :(
I want to edit the single frame attribute of one graphic object on around 30 frames. I place the onion markers and select my graphic object..but IT ONLY CHANGES THE LAST SINGLE FRAME?!:Nooooooo:

Edit>Select all

Literary skills?

the-walter-
05-24-2009, 08:46 AM
how I download that publisher? I have this one of pivot:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7727/muestradenp.png

not that one:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9734/11632004.png

which's the name of the publisher?

MaxZ
05-25-2009, 07:48 AM
This isn't Pivot, it's flash.

Xswift
05-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Cool that really helped thanks.

dmag35
05-29-2009, 07:09 PM
how do i get flash 8,9 or 10

Scarecrow
05-29-2009, 09:45 PM
you buy them

Bonk
05-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I use this all the time. Good tut.

imthefatman
07-19-2009, 09:58 PM
nice tut. didnt think of using it like that