PDA

View Full Version : Anticipation, easing, spacing, secondary motion ...................

Tawnik
11-02-2009, 03:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz633tOAIoE

comments please

edit, longer test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1yKlFdHm1c

AsSeenOnTV
11-02-2009, 04:15 PM
The easing on the first movement seemed too high. The bounces could use some more frames. You're doin' good.

Tawnik
11-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks =) what do you mean by the easing seemed to high ? It raised too slowly or too quickly ?

AsSeenOnTV
11-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Well, actually, it wasn't too high. It just had an abrupt stop not followed by slow movements. It isn't very bad.

Kitsune
11-02-2009, 08:09 PM
It lacked anticipation. I think if you moved it back a few frames right before the jump it would look much more prepared.

Other than that it looks good!

You're in animation mentor? How old are you!? o.O

Tawnik
11-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Im not in animation mentor, I just downloaded this rig, Im 17 year old :| people're ripping me apart nowadays, for my 3d animations, on one czech forum, i dont know, they just dont give me any motivation or whatsoever, they just harsh criticize it.Blah. :D
Thanks for the comment, now Im working on a lil bit longer animation, with these foxes, I hope you to see it soon.

Kitsune
11-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Im not in animation mentor, I just downloaded this rig, Im 17 year old :| people're ripping me apart nowadays, for my 3d animations, on one czech forum, i dont know, they just dont give me any motivation or whatsoever, they just harsh criticize it.Blah. :D
Thanks for the comment, now Im working on a lil bit longer animation, with these foxes, I hope you to see it soon.

Oh okay.
it's good to get ripped apart. It's how you improve. Getting insulted in the crits is an entirely different thing if that's what you mean. (ex. "THIS FLASH TOTALLY SUCKS I FUCKING HATE YOU AND THIS FLASH THIS IS WHAT YOU DID WRONG IM BEING SO FUCKING HELPFUL, FAGGOT!!").

Tawnik
11-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Well yeah, basically I kind of agree with them but Im kinda struggling now, I dont know if I should stick with 3d cause I suck at it and everyone tells me, no one has given me positive criticism yet and Im not objective when watching my own animation, its not the same as 2d I guess, not for me, so, I'd need someone to open my eyes, or someone that I respect to give me proper C&C cause some of the comments just confuse me and I start to hesitate.Ya know =) I'd like to do 3d, but theres no need to get flamed for not being good..

Kitsune
11-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Well yeah, basically I kind of agree with them but Im kinda struggling now, I dont know if I should stick with 3d cause I suck at it and everyone tells me, no one has given me positive criticism yet and Im not objective when watching my own animation, its not the same as 2d I guess, not for me, so, I'd need someone to open my eyes, or someone that I respect to give me proper C&C cause some of the comments just confuse me and I start to hesitate.Ya know =) I'd like to do 3d, but theres no need to get flamed for not being good..

Oh shut up Tawnik.
You're one of the best animators here. You know why not a lot of people give you proper C&C? It's because there isn't that much to give and the amount that can be given is hard to explain. If a forum doesn't help you or give you a good time in exchange for your time spent there then you're wasting your time on it and you should find a new forum........ with the exception of stickpage.
Try biteycastle. I visited there and at the time they seemed pretty hyped about animation, probably because the admin is the best flash animator of all time, Adam Phillips.

Also could you explain how this 3D stuff works? Is it pose to pose keyframes and does it have tweening like flash?

Tawnik
11-03-2009, 11:12 AM
I can roughly explain,
You've got a model, you have to rig it first (you have to put the skeleton in it) then you assign parts of the model to the rig (its called skinning) you can paint the selection for each bone (1 part of the skeleton, its made of bones and joints) so when you move the bone (for example next bone) you also move a little bit of chest (cause thats what normally happens when you move YOUR neck)
And you've got a separate timeline for all of these "Bones" and "joints" there're two ways how to animate stuff, the first is that you rotate the joints and the second is that you move the bones, both are good, both are better for something else.I will explain the thing with separate timelines, when you click on a joint you immediately see the animation you've got there, when you click another joint, you see THAT animation, when you select all of your joints you see all of your keys on the timeline (yes, its BIG MESS THEN) its kinda hard to understand it propertly, but once you master the basics, its kinda easy to use it.
And to your question, you can use either way, pose to pose or straight ahead, the computer automatically calculates the transition between two keys, you can control the "computer inbetweening" with curve editor which is pretty handy but I try to use it only if necessary because you can ruin your animation in seconds, but yes, ist pretty usefull but I dont really use it that much, I try to do all my inbetweens myself, its better, I leave only the simpliest inbetweens on maya.

And everyone can point out his statement about my animation, there's nothing in the way, its just about the feeling, the viewer wont be well educated in animation stuff, he will just like it/dislike it.Even if you're new to animation, I appreciate your comment, if you're good or great at animation, please, tell me how to improve and how to get that good results as I get at 2d animation (since everyone says that Im better at it than at 3d)

Kitsune
11-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Well you started in 3d more recently. You'll be better in 2d because it's has a lower learning curve. It all depends on which you enjoy more. If you like the process of 3d upon understanding it fully and thinking you can do it a lot more in later years with less stress then you go for that. Same goes for 2-d. maybe you want a simpler approach and you think it's easier to have more control. No matter which way you go you're going to grow in that field a comparable but likely just as impressive amount. Why eliminate the option of both in the first place? Hiring studios FAP over people that can do high quality stuff in multiple mediums.

And don't think you'll not improve as fast or you think you starting off not as good in one medium makes the future dimmer for you. it doesn't depend on how you start out, it depends on how hard you're willing to work to improve.

and also blahblah blah woh wah woh. woh woh wah woh woh wah wooohhhh.

AsSeenOnTV
11-03-2009, 09:10 PM
It's good to know you're not 'inbetweening.' If you can actually animate, you should never need to use it. Usually when I see a 3D animation it's clear that the animator had the computer do the movements between poses. I think it's great that you're doing this.

When you finish an animation, just go over it very slowly (1fps,) watch just one 'bone' that time. Play it again, watch another bone. This is what I do. You'll be surprised at what you miss.

The more I watch my signature, the more mistakes I see. It's terrible.

Tawnik
11-04-2009, 12:39 AM
I was thinking about your sig, I was watching it several times and I still dont know if the last move is possible or not :D
Thank you for your opinions guys, I dont really like the idea of letting the computer do the nasty work and get you from one pose to another, its just non sense, everything the animation is about is the moving and when you let the computer do that, you dont have proper control of what is going on, same for the old time animations when the animator just drew keys and let the assistant to fill in the rest (he was given a chart with easing, spacing, but still, I dont think it worked okay every time)

But thanks, I really like talking with you, because its not like talking to those guys on czech forums, they are all so selfish and strict, guh, I dont like them :D

Tawnik
11-04-2009, 02:53 PM
massive edit, longer test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1yKlFdHm1c

also some sketches I made in school (I made more, but these are related to this animation)

http://filebox.me/files/0fkimajf8_DSC00313.JPG

lol, just click the link, because the image is way tooo huuugeee =D I cant see it properly on my 15,4' notebook screen, I cant see a 3/4 of it without scrolling.

Kitsune
11-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Oh god just delete the Image!
Nice animation, Tawnik. You could have shown a bit more reaction from the one waking up. but other than that it's smooth.
Thumbs up!

Tawnik
11-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah, maybe, but I dont want to get stuck at this test, I dont like that much, made an edit though, fixed the tail stiffness a lil bit ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYEx3CZbnOg

Working on another animation with this rig, got 9 seconds already, hope I can finish it soon, not tomorrow because Im gonna buy new shoes and go out with friends =)

Anyways, thanks for still being with me ;) maybe I should create a long time topic and edit the frontpage, because I just like the idea :D its better I guess, all the comments go to one topic and I dont spam that much =D

AsSeenOnTV
11-05-2009, 04:03 PM
You're not considering the momentum carried from the figure moving forward. It looks good stationary, but not moving. The tail should keep going forward for a short while after the figure stops. This should help a bundle.

StickSpy
11-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Oh so your the dude making those...:facepalm:

Tawnik
11-05-2009, 04:17 PM
You're not considering the momentum carried from the figure moving forward. It looks good stationary, but not moving. The tail should keep going forward for a short while after the figure stops. This should help a bundle.

Oh yes, you're definitelly right, thanks ! :)

Oh so your the dude making those...:facepalm:

Yay =D thank you :)