PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up a second monitor to my laptop.

Cereal Man
04-11-2008, 01:18 PM
K, I just realized that I still have my families old computer in my ex-bedroom. I don't want to **** with the tower, my dad won't let me, but I want to hook up the old monitor to this laptop. I plugged everything in and all that, fits perfectly and the monitor is on. But it just looks like it's in sleep mode.

I searched on Google but didn't find any help. Just one article that told me if I could or could not do it.

Do I need to install the old drivers from my old computer to get it to work/do I need anything extra?

They're both Dells. (Dude, I got TWO Dells!) If it helps.

Also, the monitor came with a VGA adapter, which works with the laptop.

Aperture
04-11-2008, 02:24 PM
if your graphics card can support dual monitors. Plug it in and you should be good to go. You will have the do a fn + f4 to get it to work i think.

Cereal Man
04-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Oh wow, I just right clicked my desktop and found it withing 30 seconds after looking for hours in the control panel. It looks pretty sweet actually.

Okay, never mind, I ****ed it up again.

I had it, but it was at a horrible resolution so I went to mess with some settings, and I put output mode for notebook in Graphics Properties and the Monitor went blank. Then I went back to the place I did it originally and it now says "Can't Find Requested String." And now whatever I choose has no effect on it.

Okay, sorry for triple post but, ugh. Now my laptop screen won't even work. It's all on the old computer monitor now. And I can't ****ing fix the resolution.

Also, thanks Dudeman

Knightsy
04-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Computer doesnt like you.
Give up

Cereal Man
04-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Okay. Now this is getting annoying. I can switch my monitors on and off, but I can't have them both on at once.

The place where I originally got it working is here:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c339/fuzzykittenlover/hbvbk.jpg(When the other monitor is not on/plugged in)
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c339/fuzzykittenlover/untitled-75.jpg(When it is.)

But now it just says that shit.