PDA

View Full Version : Runner v4 discussion (not complete)

doc
11-14-2009, 10:07 AM
BETA TESTERS NEEDED!
i had 3, but none of them have responded to my pm. I am making a requirement of over 1000 posts from here on out, to keep away from ppl who are inactive.

Yes, i know, i've made too many of these already, but number 4 is on the way.
This one is totally different than the others. Its a platformer! You have a character (the normal circle) that bounces around. You need to collect the stars on the screen to complete each level. There are also bonus stars that will add to your points. This is what I have as far as parts to the game:

Edit
(NEW) Demo: http://www.truploader.com/view/427245
obviously, it still isnt near finished. I have a few enemes right now that will not come into play yet. But still gimme ideas! :D
and i removed that glitch that let you fall through the platforms if you jumped from high enough.

Beta Testers:
dfr179
1lasthero
genocide

Edit: I dont think im going to call this part of the Runner series, because it is totally different :D

MaxZ
11-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Maybe try to keep some of the original elements in, like balls coming into the screen which you have to dodge. No point in calling it the same if it's completely different.

doc
11-14-2009, 10:30 AM
hm ya youre right. I guess i kinda need to put some enemies in.
(love ur sig :D)

doc
11-15-2009, 06:16 AM
the demo is up there. Keep sending ideas in though, i want to add as much to this as possible
(and sorry for the double post)

CGIllusion
11-17-2009, 02:04 PM
score adds up way too slowly!

doc
11-17-2009, 05:31 PM
ok i can definitely fix that. thanks!

1lasthero
11-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Agreed with Illusion, and mabey add some more power ups, kind of like the jump thing, but instead something like a super bounce powerup needed to get to extremely high places.

doc
11-19-2009, 12:42 PM
hm, ok. what do you think of teleporters?

doc
11-22-2009, 08:28 AM
bump...
Looking for some beta testers. Anyone interested?

Yummerz
11-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Do i need flash to beta test.If not im in =P

doc
11-22-2009, 12:01 PM
no, you just need to be somewhat active. K ill add u.

1lasthero
11-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Count me in bro.

Yummerz
11-23-2009, 12:49 PM
=D i check this site everday

doc
11-23-2009, 03:23 PM
alright will do. One more and I'll release the beta. I have 11 of the 16 levels done so far.

genocide
11-30-2009, 06:12 PM
I know it's kinda old, but wow; I liked the demo. It was pretty smooth, and simplicity of it made it really enjoyable, not having to think about too many things at once.

One thing I found wrong was that if you went really high in the air on the first level and then came back down to the turquoise colored platforms you would fall through them. Also, is it possible to get the bottom most red start of the five start setup?

I don't know if you still need beta testers or not, I could if you needed it. Also, once it's finished, I would like to do an LP (Let's Play) of your game and post it on YouTube.

Link to My YouTube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/starpowercantsaveyou)

Good luck with the game.

[BTW, do you remember me?]
(http://www.youtube.com/user/starpowercantsaveyou)

doc
12-03-2009, 03:16 PM
haha ya i definitely remember you. Yes, i was still looking for more beta testers, and yes, you're in :D
all the things that you were talking about have been fixed, and no, you couldnt get that bottom star. I changed that level around a little bit, though.
Alright, ima finish these last few levels and send it out

Yummerz
12-03-2009, 04:30 PM
whoo!
To get more publicity you post this on kongregate.com

Then ull be super umm...well-known

genocide
12-03-2009, 09:42 PM
haha ya i definitely remember you. Yes, i was still looking for more beta testers, and yes, you're in :D
all the things that you were talking about have been fixed, and no, you couldnt get that bottom star. I changed that level around a little bit, though.
Alright, ima finish these last few levels and send it out

So do you care if record myself playing the beta-version; or do you want me to wait for the full one?

And yes, definitely post it on kongregate and newgrounds and other gaming websites of that nature.

TimeToPerish
12-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Nice game man, though I would prefer this game much more if either it was a stickman instead of a ball, or if the ball was more detailed, anyway, good job, I wished I knew coding :P.

doc
12-04-2009, 01:56 PM
So do you care if record myself playing the beta-version; or do you want me to wait for the full one?

And yes, definitely post it on kongregate and newgrounds and other gaming websites of that nature.

Oh, definitely wait for the full one, i changed it up a bit. I messed with the gameplay a little (so now you can decide how high you want to bounce) and changed the levels some. And the rest of the levels are way better than those ones. But yeah, you definitely can.
Edit: new demo is up, it gives one extra level and the changes. genocide, you can use it if you want, but id suggest waiting for the full one.

genocide
12-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Alright, I'm going to point out all the problems I see.

Level 1 (tutorial): Mistakes in the text:
1. "Welcome! Use left and right arrows (or W and D) to move left and right. Proceed to the right."

-The 'W' key makes you jump higher, it does not make you move left, that is the 'A' key
-You do not need the "or" in the parenthesis; it is not needed at all.
-This one isn't need but just personal preference I guess, when it says "Welcome!" I think: Welcome to what? So once you have the name of the game, you should put "Welcome to __!" and then maybe something catchy proceeding that.

2. "You can use the up and down arrows (or W and S) to raise or lower your bounce."

-Again "or" is not needed
-When I first read this I thought if I pressed W it would change the level of my bounce until I pressed S to lower it back down. I didn't realize you had to hold it down, so maybe put "Hold down the up or down arrows..."

3. "This is a bonus star. They are not necessary to finish the elvel, but they do award bonus points."

-Obvious spelling error: change "elvel" to "level"

Overall problems with Level 1 (tutorial):
-You can die in the tutorial?
-If you miss the first blue star, and you get to the end; you can't go back up.
-Just personal preference again, your choice on this one, I think the tutorial level should be called level 0, instead of 1. Since it's not really a full out level. It's up to you on that though.

Level 2 (Just a Taste):
No real problems with this one, except for how short it is, I hope they get longer as the game progresses.

Level 3 (Fun With Warps): Mistakes in the text:
1. "These will waro you to other places!"
-Obvious spelling mistake: change "waro" to "warp"

Level design for Level 3 (Fun With Warps):
-When you first get out of that box thing, you seem to be trapped by two teleporters on both sides, in which you have to jump low underneath them. That's a cool idea for an obstacle but, when you go to them it only leads you to a blue star. That doesn't seem right to me, so even if you don't make it under you still get part of the objective. What you should do is make those lead back into the box that you start in. Then make other teleporters after the blue stars on the bottom level.
-If you choose the left teleporter, then you can simply go to the top of the staircase thing and fall down to get the other blue star, completely voiding the purpose of the right teleporter.
-Pretty short, once again.

Overall problems with the game:
-When looking for blue/red stars, the counter should not start at, for example, 2/2; it should start at 0/2 and work your way up. After you beat the level it counts up the amount of red and blue stars you found, and it says, for example, 2/2; meaning you found all of the stars in that level. So it doesn't make sense to do it two different ways. You see what I mean?
-Colors would be nice, unless you are going for a full black and white outlook.

I enjoyed how the ball moves around, but you need to work on making the levels.
I liked how you changed the speed of the score, that was a nice touch.

Sorry for criticizing you this hard, but it's only to help you.

Keep it up!

doc
12-04-2009, 10:26 PM
woah! thanks man, thats great :D

doc
01-08-2010, 04:32 PM
I NEED SOME BETA TESTERS!!!
i had a few, but none of them have gone on in a long time. It's still open to the original 3, but i need a few asap, i wanna get this thing out. And btw, its done, i just need some input, and i might change a few things, depending on what the beta testers say