PDA

View Full Version : 360 on PC monitor?

Automaton
12-13-2009, 11:40 AM
So I'm thinking of getting a 360 for christmas. However, I don't have a good TV. I have a packard bell 22" monitor with VGA and HDMI/DVI ports on the back. My question is, will I be able to play my 360 on my monitor, without having to mess with anything? Just plug in and play? Will it come with an adapter or something?

The Dude
12-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, you can plug and play.
My 360 didn't come with a HDMI cable, but they're cheap.
It comes with A/V Cables and Component cables.
You just change the "input" or "video" like on a real TV.

edit: Holy shit, the HDTV in my room is only 26", and you have a 22" inch monitor that's HD?!
**** the what?!

Automaton
12-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the help. And I don't think it's HD. I honestly don't know much about this, I thought it had a HDMI adapter, but I might be mistaken. I know it's got a VGA adapter and a white one that's bigger than the VGA one. Is that DVI or something? (It's the one I use).

Shanto
12-13-2009, 03:12 PM
I just did this a few months ago.

What I did:

I had DVI and VGA slots in my monitor, so I bought an HDMI to DVI cable. But since you have HDMI already, you can just simply plug in HDMI to HDMI. Those cables are cheap, like a few dollars if you look in the right places. Meritline.com is good.

That takes care of the video. If your monitor has speakers in it, I guess it takes care of the audio as well. But if you want to use your computer speakers:

Take off the plastic case of the component cables. That way you can fit it on with the HDMI in as well. Plug that in, then you can plug the white and red into your speakers. If your speakers don't have that, then buy an adapter that goes from RCA to stereo, and plug that into your computer. Then it will use the computer's sound card to put sound through speakers. I have the second one set up, right now.

Sorry if this was confusing. I advise you to double check the exact things you need before you buy anything. Ask if you are unclear about what I said.

Scorpioxxx
12-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Yes it will work but having more then one screen at a time kills it, I tested my bro's Xbox to see how it ran through my iMac to check if it works, left my TV and tablet pluged in as additional moniters and the whole lot went to shit, ie, didn't work to well. What it did was open the xbox screen on all three of them using the smallest resolution so that it worked on all 3. Having an A4 sized screen scalled up to 40" damages picture quality. Just incase you try it with more than one screen and wonder what the ****.

Shanto's method works though for the sound my mates played fine with the speakers plugged into the computer using audio recorder to send the sound form the xbox (input data) to the speakers (output).

2-D
12-13-2009, 06:02 PM
So I'm thinking of getting a 360 for christmas. However, I don't have a good TV. I have a packard bell 22" monitor with VGA and HDMI/DVI ports on the back. My question is, will I be able to play my 360 on my monitor, without having to mess with anything? Just plug in and play? Will it come with an adapter or something?

when i had a 360, i used my computer monitor.
all you need is an HDMI cable, which you can get for few cents on amazon if you don't already have one.
unless you get an elite, which ones with a cord i believe.
don't buy it in stores, extremely overpriced.

Automaton
12-14-2009, 09:41 AM
when i had a 360, i used my computer monitor.
all you need is an HDMI cable, which you can get for few cents on amazon if you don't already have one.
unless you get an elite, which ones with a cord i believe.
don't buy it in stores, extremely overpriced.

Thanks, and yeah I'm getting an elite. Theres one on play.com for 200 with MW2 and 1 month free gold live.

This leads on to my second question: I'm going to be using a wireless connection for live. Do I just plug in the adapter and choose my routers network for it to connect to?

2-D
12-14-2009, 09:57 AM
all 360's come with 1 month free gold live.
and you can make 3 accounts, each with one month free gold live

This leads on to my second question: I'm going to be using a wireless connection for live. Do I just plug in the adapter and choose my routers network for it to connect to?

I never used wireless, wired for gaming is A LOT better, but if you have to go wireless, then whatever.

also, no idea. but most likely, thats how it would probably work.

Automaton
12-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Yeah can't go wired. My router's downstairs. I'm not allowed to get a wire going through the house and up the stairs, and I don't really want to cut a hole in my floor.

Thanks for the tip about 3 months live ;)