PDA

View Full Version : Getting a guitar

STUFF
04-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Alright, I have no experience with guitars or anything musical and recently, I've had this urge to start learning how to play the guitar.

Any clues to which one I should buy that's good for starters? Probably nothing too expensive since I have a chance of breaking it or something.

Help, dawgs :D

StrunG
04-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Alright, I have no experience with guitars or anything musical and recently, I've had this urge to start learning how to play the guitar.

Any clues to which one I should buy that's good for starters? Probably nothing too expensive since I have a chance of breaking it or something.

Help, dawgs :D

It really depends on what you're going to use the guitar for. If you just want play at home, I've heard good things about the iAXE (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/avcards/8c43/). It's only $100 and you can plug it in to your computer as your amp. It's supposedly good for beginners.

If you want one that you can carry around and play with your friends or at school, you can probably find a pretty cheap acoustic guitar at a local shop. You should ask around though, because you can probably get a good deal off of a friend. If you're more into the electric sound, I would look into this starter kit. (http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAIJX40) That's what I bought when I first started playing, and it was a very good deal.

Komaru
04-14-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't know much about guitars, but I do know that if you went to a highschool band director, they would know a lot. A LOT. Huge amount.

Gavel
04-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Acoustic or electric?

Deadface.
04-14-2008, 08:53 PM
I'd suggest learning on a Squier. They're pretty cheap (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-SE-Special-Pack-With-Squier-SP10-Amp?sku=513287) and not too bad.

New Generation
04-14-2008, 08:53 PM
I prefer Acoustic Guitars. Here are top ten acoustic guitars for beginners:

http://guitar.about.com/od/acousticguitar/tp/top5acoustics.htm

STUFF
04-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Mainly looking for electric, but while I'm at it, can you guys tell me the difference between the two?

Good help so far though, thanks a lot guys...Looking into the stuff StrunG and FacePlate gave me

Epic
04-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Mainly looking for electric, but while I'm at it, can you guys tell me the difference between the two?

Well, I guess you could say acoustic has more of a natural sound, and its clean. If you're going to do more rough, and grundgy sounds go with the electric, plus, even if you want the clean sound, the electric can do the same, it istill sounds different from the aucoustic though.

I guess the aucoustic is good for quite songs, and such.

STUFF
04-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Oh..well, the reason I want a guitar is so that I can actually learn how to play it, get good at it, and actually rock hard, you know what im sayin?

So I guess electric..

Epic
04-14-2008, 10:15 PM
weren't you into rap and shit before?

STUFF
04-15-2008, 05:57 PM
weren't you into rap and shit before?

Yeah, and everything else. I'm pretty sure I told you I listen to everything.

No more suggestions? $200 is pretty pricey :o

Kveyo
04-15-2008, 06:41 PM
You should buy the Gibson Les Paul that Slash has. Its great for beginners.

Its not expensive either, only $2,000-$4,000

Deadface.
04-15-2008, 06:45 PM
$200 isn't pricy for an adequate guitar that'll last you to an intermediate level, a book to learn, an amp, av cables, etc. Seperately bought, it'd cost the same amount or more.

Paco
04-15-2008, 07:30 PM
well i would recomend-
1.getting a "decent"(not wallmart) acoustic.
2.take classical guitar leassons
3.getting a "good"(better than befor) acoustic/electric
and stop leassons whenever.
reason behind that is-
-classical helps all around
-buying a acoustic and taking leassons makes you not be a fag, for
example fags who play guitar hero so when they buy there shit electric
and expect to be good and never try to learn the basic and shit. and that
is why music is going to fail eventualy.

and other shit.
just my 2 cents as a drummer.

notmaggot
04-15-2008, 07:42 PM
honestly, just go to a music store and try out a guitar that looks pretty cool. if its comfortable and sounds decent, buy it.

2-D
04-15-2008, 07:50 PM
I prefer Acoustic Guitars, because i'm a full blown faggot.

Mainly looking for electric, because I enjoy having sexual intercourse with females.

the difference

quake
04-15-2008, 08:02 PM
I've been playing for almost 3 years now, and I've only had two guitars. My first was a build it yourself kit type thing off of ebay. I think it sounds just as good as anyother guitar. After 2 years I moved onto a new guitar. I still use the old one. The new one was a BC Rich Beast. Which I love to peices. So my verdict is you can prolly find a kit on ebay and it would sound good. Or at least be a good starter guitar.

StrunG
04-15-2008, 08:03 PM
the difference

ya man, acoustics are for gay people, lol! everyone that owns an electric guitar is instantly awesome and get all the babes.

Generally, you can walk into any one of your classrooms and find at least three kids who have either a Strat or a Squier. Chances are, they are all douchebags who just bought an electric so that they can play their favorite song consisting of five powerchords and then suddenly gain the right to say that they are awesome at guitar. If you plan on getting serious with an electric guitar, you're going to end up buying an acoustic down the road anyways.

Vervanda
04-15-2008, 08:04 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rJud5kqFEDU StrunG, heres an example of what you said

SSOutPhase
04-16-2008, 10:14 AM

Wtf? Are you rich?

NaTuRaL
04-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah, and everything else. I'm pretty sure I told you I listen to everything.

No more suggestions? $200 is pretty pricey :o

If you really want to do this, it'll take money and commitment. I mean, my parents didn't buy me a baby grand for nothin

SRC
04-16-2008, 07:24 PM
ok, since your just starting you should go for a Fender Strat Pack (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=fender+strat+pack&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0) it comes with everything you need and its around $200 to $300. I would recommend the one with a G-DEC amp because it's a pretty awesome lil toy. I have the G-DEC modeling amp as my small amp. Although the strat pack one doesn't do the same, mine has like 40 presets and built in drum and bass riffs. The G-DEC in the one I recommended has 15W power, an 8" Special Design speaker, 16 amp types, 15 special effects presets, and 15 accompaniment loops, including metronome. A key selector knob allows 14 different keys; "Bass Off" may be selected to allow only the drum sounds to be activated, tempo knob allows settings from 30 to 240 BPM, and separate controls for guitar volume and backing loop volume. A MIDI connector allows streaming files from a computer. 1/8" aux in allows jam-along capability with external CD or MP3 player, and the headphone jack doubles as line output to recording gear for further amplification. So the top strat pack is a pretty good deal dude. (my amps are a tidlewave speaker with two ampheads, a marshal JCM 2000 triple super lead, and a Crate tidlewave, and a G-DEC entertainment center amp; i know my dad and i are spoiled :) )

oh yeah, the strat is a pretty good guitar, but after you start getting into guitar playing you really need to invest in something such as a les paul or (edit, my damn comp is backing up on its own for some reason >:( ) an SG

imported_SPARTAN_117
04-16-2008, 07:25 PM
A lot of people that I know started with an acoustic because its cheaper than an electric, its good for beginners, good for learning, if you don't think you would spend a lot of time on a guitar than at least you didn't waste money on an electric.

I prefer electric guitars cuz my favorite music is grunge (highly distorted guitars), but I got an acoustic first. If you know you're going to stick with guitar get a cheap electric like stratocasters, they're around $300-$600.

EDIT: Oh yeah...look at the post before this for info on the stratocaster...

NaTuRaL
04-16-2008, 07:30 PM
A lot of people that I know started with an acoustic because its cheaper than an electric, its good for beginners, good for learning, if you don't think you would spend a lot of time on a guitar than at least you didn't waste money on an electric.

I prefer electric guitars cuz my favorite music is grunge (highly distorted guitars), but I got an acoustic first. If you know you're going to stick with guitar get a cheap electric like stratocasters, they're around $300-$600.

EDIT: Oh yeah...look at the post before this for info on the stratocaster...
I'm not up to date on guitars but I got a acoustic that hooks up to an amp and the amp can give it grungy sounds, 150 bucks...

StrunG
04-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Ugh, don't buy that $350 strat pack. Trust me, it won't be worth it. You're basically just paying for the amp. Strats are decent guitars, but a $350 starter pack is not exactly worth the money. I don't know, I just don't like Strats much. I've played my friend's strat on several occasions and it just doesn't quite meet my standards. Even though it's just meant to be a beginner's guitar, there are better quality guitars that cost less.

Stuff, I know this is just going to be a fun little hobby for you. Unless you are going to be getting really serious about this and playing gigs with a band, you're not going to need an amp like that. Even if you did get serious, you would buy a much more expensive amp anyways. You should really take a look at that pack I posted on the first page.

By the way, Strats are decent guitars but they are just not quite my cup of tea. There are many people who play a Strat and have never felt a need to buy a nicer guitar. It's really all a matter of personal preference, so don't take my word as law.

imported_SPARTAN_117
04-16-2008, 07:53 PM
I agree that stratocasters aren't the greatest guitars but they're kind of neutral to any genre of music. When I finally get my electric I'd get a Warbeast. I heard they play well and they're sort of cheap ($300-$800). But that's the kind of guitar I'd keep for a while. I don't know if Stuff will be serious about this but I'd still say he should get a strat.

F-Zero
04-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Here we go. The main thing is what kind of music you want to play. Acoustic guitars are generally used for country-rock songs and other slow melodies. While this sound can be produced on an electric guitar, it has more a of a "rich" tone when playing that sort of music. Electric guitars can pretty much play any type of music if you have the right equipment. Theres always an electirc acoustic :p. Oh and you can play acoustics on the go :D Personally, I prefer electric but I also have an acoustic. Now if your going to get an electric, get one that fits you. You might not want to jump right into the $500+ price range if your learning and may not stick with it. They come in different shapes and sizes, so get one thats right for you. Play around with some guitars and see if theyre comfortable for you. Make sure you can reach the first fret while holding the guitar and you can reach all strings. Another aspect of a guitar is its quality. The higher the price, the better the guitar (if its not a signature guitar, that is) The pickups are a major part of the guitar. The brand and style makes a big difference. Some pickups give out a heavier, grungy tone, while others give out a light, soothing tone. Its all up to what you want. Go to your local Guitar Center and they'll help with the other things such as strings and an amp. Im too lazy to type anymore. good luck!

Kveyo
04-16-2008, 11:15 PM
You should buy the Gibson Les Paul that Slash has. Its great for beginners.

I think my suggestion was the best.

TheCreator
04-17-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm learning( Know alot tho) on a mini squire, they are really good guitars, $100, $150 with a mini amp

SRC
04-17-2008, 08:55 AM
you can play acoustics on the go :D
hey electric too! its called a cigarette amp, i have two.

F-Zero
04-20-2008, 07:13 PM
hey electric too! its called a cigarette amp, i have two.

This is true, kind of annoying to carry around though

Buttons
04-20-2008, 09:50 PM
I really recommend an acoustic. Easier to begin to play on, and it's portable.

Bubba Jones
04-20-2008, 10:29 PM
I reccomend either electric or acoutstic like energy was trying to say.,

Dragonkof
04-22-2008, 01:15 AM
we have a modded accoustic, so we can use a amp with it, and an effects pedal.

so its an Electric guitar system, but the guitar is an accoustic.

the afro ninja
04-22-2008, 01:51 AM
SRC beat me to it. Start with an electric Stratocaster and learn your basics. Then I highly reccomend getting an acoustic as a seond guitar ASAP. Having the two gives good contrast and allows you to experiment with styles, depending on your prefered genre or not. Start with small, medium picks and if you aren't taking lessons, check out a book from the library or spend the extra cash to buy a book. Why don't you start with something user friendly like Guitar for Dummies. It helped me a lot. You will need to spend a good $200-$300 to reach a far checkpoint of success. Be prepared to practice 3 times a week. 15 minutes a day for 3 days is better than an hour for day each week. Listen to this advice and you will become a natural in at least 45 days. Give it time.