PDA

View Full Version : Myself's Unnamed Zombie Game! A Work In Progress, And An Overly Long Thread Title.

Myself
01-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Right. If you've read the other thread you'll know I'm making a zombie survival game. If not, now you do.

The basic premise of the game is this: Shit hits the fan; zombies, survive as long as you can. Scavenge for food, water and supplies to prolong the inevitable. The game is set in a small city, and I plan on making every building explorable. Games going to be 3-D. Simple models though, as I ain't but of a modeler. It's going to be an RTS mixed with RPG elements.

This thread is going to be used for keeping updates of my progress and such, and user suggestions. Make your suggestions sensible, and justify them. No, I will not be putting tanks in the game, no I will not be putting an abundance of guns in the game. No I'm not putting a gun-sword in the game. So for the love of god, don't ask me to.

Feel free to ask about aspects of the game and criticize any bad decisions. Though when you do, try to suggest a better alternative.

Right now I haven't started making the game proper, and please keep in mind that because I am doing this by my self right now. This will probably take a very, very long time.

What I am currently working on

Creating beta models for:
- Human
- Zombie

Creating and defining:
- Attributes
- Skills

What is done.

Nothing :D

RUiN
01-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Sounds like a good idea for a thread and a game I'm just wondering hows it all set up, like Is exploring the city based on time (That the zombies can't come out in daylight)

Myself
01-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Zombies will be around during both the day and the night. Although there will probably be more during the night.

Schwa
01-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Can you put in like, a sword gun? Because that would be epic win.

RUiN
01-09-2010, 10:41 PM
That makes sense and lol at schwa

Myself
01-09-2010, 10:43 PM

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1283/1242640602808.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

RUiN
01-09-2010, 10:53 PM
LMAO
I knew I loved SPP

Devour
01-11-2010, 05:58 AM
Backpacks to lots of ammo in.
Or to hold a shit load of machetes and stuff like I will once this is made. :Undercover:
A sword that shots guns would be awsum too

Myself
01-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Backpacks to lots of ammo in.

Oh yeah that reminds me.

Characters will only be able to carry a realistic amount of stuff. In both size and weight. Backpacks, sacks, and belts will help with this.

Scarecrow
01-11-2010, 05:24 PM

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4145/1209340816034tv5.jpg

Steyene
01-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Make a gun sword. Gun swords are the shit.

It's Me
01-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Do you have any experience in making games?

Myself
01-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Yep.

Unfortunately I don't have much experience in modeling. So That's what the bulk of the time is gunna be used for.

It's Me
01-12-2010, 12:21 AM
What programs do you plan on using?

Myself
01-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Blender and 3D Studio Max for the modeling. Game-studio A7 for the scripting and compiling.

doc
01-12-2010, 02:08 PM
What is the time setting for the game? I mean, ik its a post apocalyptic city, but what happened to that city to make it like that? Or is it just one of those random no-story games?
And it might be a cool idea to put in some npc's that aren't zombies. From experience, games where you are the only sane person can get really lonely and depressing. Like maybe have some housed being defended, and will give you ammo or food or something if you go inside. Or maybe they just try to blow your brains out. Buuuuut, that may be pretty hard to do.
Edit: And maybe add food that you can pick up, either for health or a separate hunger meter.

Myself
01-12-2010, 07:23 PM
What is the time setting for the game? I mean, ik its a post apocalyptic city, but what happened to that city to make it like that? Or is it just one of those random no-story games?

Uh, you might find clues as to what happened, but other than that, no story.

And it might be a cool idea to put in some npc's that aren't zombies.

There will be.

Edit: And maybe add food that you can pick up, either for health or a separate hunger meter.

There will be.

pheonixslayer21
01-12-2010, 10:43 PM
This sounds like left 4 dead SPP style

Vincent
01-13-2010, 12:05 AM
Heyyyyy I remember this thread.

Myself
01-13-2010, 04:34 AM
This sounds like left 4 dead SPP style

what, no. not at all.

Heyyyyy I remember this thread.

You're thinking of http://www.stickpageportal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102333

Zero
01-13-2010, 07:48 AM
So, whats your estimated time this will be finished?

Myself
01-13-2010, 07:54 AM
No idea.

A long time.

Upwards of a year.

It's Me
01-13-2010, 03:33 PM
No offense but in like 6 years of browsing lots of forums I can't really say I've seen anyone stay committed to a project as large as the one you plan on undertaking.
I suggest you start way smaller. Your choice though.

Schwa
01-13-2010, 06:59 PM
So like, could you post updates of what you get done. Not because I don't trust you but because I'm actually interested to see how you'll accomplish this.

Also. I love you.

And, it might be a cool idea to add NPC's with characters named after people on SPP (me) or your buds, to keep you more interested in the party.

Did I mention I love you?

Sweatily.

Myself
01-13-2010, 07:24 PM
No offense but in like 6 years of browsing lots of forums I can't really say I've seen anyone stay committed to a project as large as the one you plan on undertaking.
I suggest you start way smaller. Your choice though.

I don't blame you. I plan to commit to this one though.

So like, could you post updates of what you get done. Not because I don't trust you but because I'm actually interested to see how you'll accomplish this.

Yes.

And, it might be a cool idea to add NPC's with characters named after people on SPP (me) or your buds, to keep you more interested in the party.

K.

It's Me
01-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Right.

If you plan on having a storyline and such it could go a little something like this;

A virus forms which replaces human blood with a sort of "zombie blood" the zombie blood makes the host have all the properties of a zombie such as blood lust, general weakness, slower reaction times, and slower overall mental capabilities. The virus can only be spread by a zombies saliva entering into the victims bloodstream, much like a Komodo dragon. Zombies can only be killed via a headshot or heartshot.
If you plan on having an endpoint to the game the main character could develop an antidote of sorts.

I'll think of more later maybe.

Flood
01-15-2010, 11:28 PM
zombie blood? seriously?
also like i said in the last one, riot shield is a must.

It's Me
01-16-2010, 12:09 AM
zombie blood? seriously?
also like i said in the last one, riot shield is a must.
Are they filled with cookie dough?

RUiN
01-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Thatd be awesome. Ive always wanted a real cookie man.

Myself
01-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Goddamn shit balls taking forever.

I need a modeler.

Zero
01-24-2010, 06:06 AM
A year huh? Well, if you would do that off and on, I'd say 3 or 4 years unless you have a team and all.

The Kraken
02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Make a ****ing chainsaw gun like on gears of war. ****ing pwnage.

Slippery-Q
02-20-2010, 09:12 PM
I don't know too much about modeling, but perhaps I could help with texturing? Doesn't seem too hard. Just having slight confusions with Flat and Affine textures. I could perhaps help with music too? Or even noises for the zombies or humans? And may I ask what engine you will be running this game with? And how will you be hosting it for everyone to play on? And how high do you expect the graphics to look? And who will be making the maps or world for this game? Sorry for all of the questions. This has particularly caught my attention. Especially since I am really into this genre of game. And I would love to help in anyway.

Myself
02-20-2010, 10:20 PM
I don't know too much about modeling, but perhaps I could help with texturing?
yeah sure, once i get some models

I could perhaps help with music too? Or even noises for the zombies or humans?
sure

And may I ask what engine you will be running this game with?
using gamestudio's built in engine. its nothing special, but it does what i need it to do.

And how will you be hosting it for everyone to play on?

just a downloadable RAR with all this stuff in it. probably not going to be online unless i learn me some networking

And how high do you expect the graphics to look?

well, to begin with, roughly Half Life 1 looking, then once I get some more groundwork down I'll update it.

It's not going to be anything fancy though.

And who will be making the maps or world for this game?

me probably

the main problem now is im waiting for a friend who lives just down the road to learn some modeling. we're going to make some shitty indie dev group. I'd get someone I know on the nets to do it but I don't want to be transferring gigabytes of models over the net.

Scarecrow
02-20-2010, 10:25 PM
hey man i know some great music selections if you're after a creepy atmosphere also i can do originals and

Myself
02-20-2010, 10:30 PM
k excellent

Slippery-Q
02-20-2010, 11:47 PM
I found some cool vids if you're looking for inspiration, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdJZkhprjY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9HKHwbci_A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apShp0UDnWk

and "Half-Life 1" looking, you say?

... **** yes.

dante524
02-26-2010, 06:22 PM
if zombies came at day won't they die???????????????????????????????????????????

rival2
02-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Why would zombies actually already die of light in the first place?