PDA

View Full Version : Gav-L - Knock, Knock

Gavel
01-09-2010, 11:46 PM
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=883764&songID=8590661

Big L scratches at the end kind of sucked, but hopefully my cunning linguistics make up for it

2-D
01-10-2010, 05:39 AM
i can't understand a damn word you're saying

edit: oh if i scroll down there's lyrics

zawmbee
01-10-2010, 06:40 AM
:o
That was siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick, but no really I liked it. Well done. Gay you can't download it though.

Zed
01-10-2010, 06:43 AM
Gay you can't download it though.

This.

It's good.

FoShizzle
01-10-2010, 06:50 AM
****in dope yo .

Gavel
01-10-2010, 09:10 AM
i can't understand a damn word you're saying

edit: oh if i scroll down there's lyrics

learn to speak my language

zawmbee
01-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Ghetto counts as a language now? Better browse urban dictionary for my daily lingo updates.

LakE
01-10-2010, 09:31 AM
I enjoyed it.

2-D
01-10-2010, 02:36 PM
learn to speak my language

speak up nigga

Gavel
01-10-2010, 06:33 PM
speak up nigga

yeah i turned up the vocals after you said that at first. i had them turned down because i thought they overpowered the rest of the track, but the volume kind of fluctuates in and out what with the chorus effect kind of cutting the volume in half and the fact that i couldn't stay in the same position in front of the mic because i was in a car :\

LN3uq
01-10-2010, 08:32 PM
hood studios

I'll listen to it later, I have a feeling it wouldn't be appreciated in my current company

Vincent
01-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Why were you recording the lyrics in a car..?
Anyway, I enjoyed it actually.

I'm not really a big fan of this kind of singing but oddly I found it enjoyable.

Gavel
01-10-2010, 09:50 PM
i was using it as kind of a sound proof booth. my lappy was on the hood and i was in the shotgun seat with the door closed

i think it worked out pretty good because i don't hear any feedback, but then again, adobe audition noise reduction kind of helped out too

Exile
01-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Agreed with 2-D, I can't understand 90% of what you were saying. Work on your enunciation and learn how to use compression if your vocals are either overpowering your mix or too quiet, because right now it's a little bit of each in certain spots.

It's not bad, you have a pretty good sense of rhythm, and the backing track was done well enough.

Covalence
01-11-2010, 02:29 PM
loved the beat
and if i didn't have the lyrics, i'd be lost, kind of like everyone else

but yeah great stuff man
by the way, weren't you supposed to be rapping in front of your whole school a long time ago? i'm still waiting for that video :|

Gavel
01-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Agreed with 2-D, I can't understand 90% of what you were saying. Work on your enunciation and learn how to use compression if your vocals are either overpowering your mix or too quiet, because right now it's a little bit of each in certain spots.

It's not bad, you have a pretty good sense of rhythm, and the backing track was done well enough.
thanks. still working on getting compression down. kind of new to the whole recording thing :\

loved the beat
and if i didn't have the lyrics, i'd be lost, kind of like everyone else

but yeah great stuff man
by the way, weren't you supposed to be rapping in front of your whole school a long time ago? i'm still waiting for that video :|
they never gave me the video

Exile
01-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Well just for reference I don't use compression and it's pretty much what 99% of trance artists rely on, you can go without it, but the mixing needs more work. Or if nothing else you might want to invest in a better quality mic.

Gavel
01-11-2010, 04:15 PM
yeah its probably the mic more than anything. its pretty cheap, i think it between $30 and $50. i only got it back when i used to animate and wanted to record some dialogue so now i'm just getting by on this one until i get a job. either that or until i sell all my rock (nah not really)

oh and i'm using a used fabric softener sheet as a pop filter :\

Exile
01-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Oh actually, I just now saw the comment about recording in a car because you thought the quality would be better.. ah, I wouldn't suggest that. I don't know a lot about recording but I'd think the very small amount of space in a car would have terrible acoustics, regardless of the lack of feedback. Feedback can be edited out but I imagine any reverberation in the car would repeat back into the mic rather quickly, making the recording sound muddy which is what it sounds like now.

I could be entirely wrong, but I imagine that's how things would play out.. Even a room that has no acoustic treatment would most likely be better than such a cramped space.

Gavel
01-12-2010, 10:06 PM
yeah i thought a car would work out because i know of a producer who uses a small walk-in closet with some soundproof foam on the door, but then again i guess that foam is the difference. i'm still thinking its the mic more than anything since it's probably a slightly better quality one than poutine salad uses and he gets a similar result in quality

STUFF
01-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Damn, some of those lines were really good. Make more mang

Mantiscore
01-14-2010, 05:58 AM
You got some lyrical skills, need to have the track quieter or the vocals louder though.

Couldn't step to your boy mantis in a battle, though.

RawGreen
02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
dang, if I could download this, I'd play it at work...it's pretty awesoem

Gavel
02-03-2010, 09:25 PM
i'm planning on releasing it all for free download once i've made the whole mixtape. i just gotta get my act together