PDA

View Full Version : How do you pro's do it?

fish
01-16-2010, 12:46 AM
im having trouble sticking with a way of doing my animations. i dont know wether to use brush or pencil or what size or how much zoom and all that jazz. i know it prolly just a preferance but the good animaters have there ways of doing things and i was wondering if sum1 can give me sum direction on how to go about drawing my sticks.

TY SO MUCH XD

Bonk
01-16-2010, 01:05 AM
They're different, there is no "better". Brush is more fluid and freestyle, but line looks better for cinematic and realistic animations.

fish
01-16-2010, 02:04 AM
what about sizes of utencil and zoom? btw ty

Bonk
01-16-2010, 03:12 AM
It all comes down to preference, which no one can teach you. Just play around in Flash for a while and figure out what works for you.

Scarecrow
01-16-2010, 05:44 AM
often a thicker stick figure will look better because there is less room for error; a thin stick can look wobbly and the movements of it need to be very precise to look good.

still, it's all personal preference. keep practicing and experimenting, and find something that looks good to you, and feels easy for you to animate, then stick with it for a while.

Arch-Angel
01-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Honestly, you'll pick up your style when you get better.
I would only use the pencil or brush tools if you have a tablet (If you don't know what it is, it's a small "tablet"/platform that comes with a pen, it acts as your mouse and allows you to draw on a computer like you're drawing on paper). If you don't have a tablet, use line tool.

fish
01-16-2010, 06:26 PM
ok ty i think i like the pencil more so ill just practice wittat...

btw what the cheapest but still at least semi decent tablet on the market?

Scorpioxxx
01-16-2010, 06:55 PM
About $200 - $300 or 150 - 250 pounds is a rough calculation but its give or take 20 for them.

Bamboo or bamboo fun by wacom.

Cronos
01-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Honestly, you'll pick up your style when you get better.
I would only use the pencil or brush tools if you have a tablet (If you don't know what it is, it's a small "tablet"/platform that comes with a pen, it acts as your mouse and allows you to draw on a computer like you're drawing on paper). If you don't have a tablet, use line tool.

I personally feel quite comfortable using the brush tool with a mouse, much more than my tablet.

Miccool
01-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Depends what you like. Zooming in is good for more precision, but you have to take larger strokes and it's harder to know how big it is compared to the stage. Also what other ppl said.

LN3uq
01-16-2010, 08:40 PM
I wasn't bad with the brush tool when I just used a mouse, but I think those skills may have disappeared over time as I got used to using a tablet
I like the brush tool though. Every once in a while I'll start to make something using the line tool because it's cinematic and awesome, but then I never like how it turns out or how it feels when I'm making it

I usually zoom in pretty close, but I like the final project to be really crisp

Arch-Angel
01-16-2010, 11:06 PM
About $200 - $300 or 150 - 250 pounds is a rough calculation but its give or take 20 for them.

Bamboo or bamboo fun by wacom.
Mine was like $70

I personally feel quite comfortable using the brush tool with a mouse, much more than my tablet.

I would say if you have a tablet, use the tablet. It makes you better. The only reason you're not used to it is because you don't use it.

Depends what you like. Zooming in is good for more precision, but you have to take larger strokes and it's harder to know how big it is compared to the stage. Also what other ppl said.

This is why I draw background before animating :)

I wasn't bad with the brush tool when I just used a mouse, but I think those skills may have disappeared over time as I got used to using a tablet
I like the brush tool though. Every once in a while I'll start to make something using the line tool because it's cinematic and awesome, but then I never like how it turns out or how it feels when I'm making it

I usually zoom in pretty close, but I like the final project to be really crisp

I don't know why I multi-quoted yours lol

fish
01-17-2010, 06:42 AM
ty arch and all yall XD

this will help out alot

im going to make another one soon so keep an eye out fo me im gonna get good this is a big passion of mine to be as good as the pro lol

Scorpioxxx
01-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Mine was like $70

Was basing it off the low end wacom stuff when bought from them, but I have seen it on ebay amazon etc cheaper.

FoShizzle
01-17-2010, 07:13 AM
I've been using a mouse ever since I started animating. I don't see the big deal using a tablet really, It actually looks alot harder to use.

Bonk
01-17-2010, 09:15 AM
No one would use it if it was harder, dude. It takes some getting used to, sure, but if you know what you're doing it is easy and you can make things closer to the quality of hand-drawn stuff.