PDA

View Full Version : Windows vista install problem.

randall
01-18-2010, 05:53 AM
For some reason, the windows vista install does not recognize my other HD. It works just fine because I am on windows vista right now, but i just want to install the 64 bit version on my new computer.

My bios recognizes both HD's, and even when I set the other one as my primary, the installation still does not recognize.

However, when I unplug the one that install DOES recognize, it simply tells me that I had no hard drives.

what is the problem? Thank you in advance.

RawGreen
01-18-2010, 03:14 PM
You're problably having the same problem I have with my laptop, only I'm installing WindowsXPproSP2... your hard-drive is probably SATA and not the IDE of which all the installation CD's have drivers for. So basically, find out what kind of HD you have in your computer and then check back here.

Now there are several ways to get it to install the drivers for the SATA HD.
1) install linux and parson the HD to have windows xp on it by boot-logging through an iso.
2) put the drivers for the HD on a floppy and insert the floppy along with the CD and it will automatically install the drivers off of the floppy.
3) use some wierd program called nLite to put the drivers for the HD straight onto the OS installation CD.

Otherwise, head on over to your best computer know-it-all fix-it place and fix-it there.