PDA

View Full Version : Car animation

Tawnik
01-24-2010, 08:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcdp-Cu1gzI

I decided not to work on the 11 second club animation anymore, I just dont like acting that much, I prefer action to acting, I also decided to make some short animation with car and here is it, the rig wasnt that good as I thought it was, cant do any wobbling, or any animation with suspension (googled that expression) because there isnt any :(

C&c please ;)

NEW ANIMATION

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzm7Zy-wBQE

UPDATES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2j4YUdwsgc

UPDATORZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmsU07f-sSs

AsSeenOnTV
01-24-2010, 08:55 AM
It seemed realistic. Good job.

FoShizzle
01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
That looks very good.

doc
01-24-2010, 09:22 AM
That's great. It's realistic in a cartoony kind of way. Is that an oxymoron?

Tawnik
01-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks, I see what you mean doc, its cartoon, but its still believable, its not bizarre cartoon, its "almost-realistic-looking-cartoon" Is that what you were trying to say ? :D

doc
01-24-2010, 09:32 AM
haha ya thats it :D

Upps
01-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Cool, I've been trying to figure out 3ds for quite a while, but then I quit.
Teach me.

Tawnik
01-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Teach you ?
Learning from someone as un experienced as I am wouldnt help you much ;)

Tawnik
01-25-2010, 11:46 PM
update update update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzm7Zy-wBQE

edit, I knew I wont get any other comments when I post it in this topic :D

Arch-Angel
01-25-2010, 11:49 PM
I think the build up should have been slower. It just shut the doors and drove off.

I doubt a car like that would have really good acceleration. As for the rigging of the hood and the doors n stuff, it was pretty nice. Reminds me of one of those hot wheels cars you get where the doors n hood can be ****ed with.

Tawnik
01-25-2010, 11:53 PM
What do you mean by "built up" (= acceleration ??) if so then you're right, I wasnt really focusing on this, because people could always abuse me for accelerating too fast or too slowly, its just personal likings and its just about what they think about the car.. but, since I was repairing the engine yesterday, I guess it could just drive off with infinite speed, be satisfied with this answer!

Yeah I remember those small cars, we had a lot of fun with them :D

Thank you for the critique ;)

FoShizzle
01-25-2010, 11:55 PM
I think the build up should have been slower. It just shut the doors and drove off.

That's pretty much it.

Tawnik
01-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Okay, thank you =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2j4YUdwsgc

new animation !

Upps
01-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Fix the camera angle. Get a bird's-view in the begining, then proceed with the normal camera panning.

Tawnik
01-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Good idea, will try that and then I will resubmit that one,

I was working on this one today, still have to add a few things and I have to do the polishing, but Im pleased with the progress, the walk looks weird :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmsU07f-sSs

Upps
01-27-2010, 08:18 PM
That was actually really good. The walk was very fluid and riged in structure, very realistic. Only thing with the car is when it accelerates again, it does too fast, making it loose it's heavyness. Also, you might want to check the wheels, they look a bit wierd with the way they stoped while the momentum is still moving the car's skeleton.
Compose them all together, the car stunt and the man walking then do something like it hits him or the man does a dive role.

sunnygo
01-29-2010, 05:24 PM
I really like the animations! I can't really think of any improvements. ^^;

Airec
01-30-2010, 02:47 AM
The way the car wobbles and bounces feels really nice in all of these, good job :]

One thing that bothered me though is you're sort of stuck in between "realistic car" and "thinking cartoon car." It looks like you were going for something more cartoony so you probably wana think a little more about the anticipation for each action the car takes. The anticipation is what's going to clue us into the cars motive and distinguish it from a random vehicle being driven by some guy (try looking at Disney/Pixar's "Cars")

Does it rear back slightly and then slowly accelerate from slow-fast or does it do a giant warner-style antic and then zoom forward. Right now the car is clearly driving itself, so the next step would be to think about how it's driving itself and why it's driving that way. You really have to get inside it's head. Animation is basically acting after all - every action has a reason behind it and its up to us to decide what that reason is and use it to shape the action.

On another note that guy almost getting hit by the car looks pretty good. Again though I'd think a little more about why he walking/where he's walking to and use that to give the walk more character.

The guy feels a little stiff, it seemed like from the legs up he was really straight and not moving that much...when you walk your upper body usually move's alot more. His torso would at least have to be rotating a little around the Yaxis for example for his arms to be swinging that much.

The big thing though was it seemed like he was going from "walking action" straight to "backing away action". Try thinking more about the thought process you'd go through when almost getting hit by a car. You're walking. You notice something either by hearing or from the corner of your eye. You glance over to see what it is. You realize that its a car. You react.

So before you can react to the car you have to realize what you're reacting too, and to do that you'll probably need to turn you head and look at it. That's another situation where you'll really wana think about what's happening inside the character's head and even act the situation out and record yourself.

Anyway that's all for now, sorry if I was a little longwinded :P
Hope that helped some.

Tawnik
01-30-2010, 03:48 AM
Thank you soo much for every single word, you've just totally made my day :) You're 100 % right and I know what you're talking about, I read the book "Animators survival kit" and I guess thats where your knowledge comes from, but well, I wasnt acting the words of advice W.Richards gave me through the book, I kinda forgot about it.Thank you so much for reminding me :) I will definitely improve with these tips.I hope you can stay here, on this forum, or, do you visit 11secondclub.com ? I'd like to keep in touch with you, cause you seem really skilled and well informed about the magic of animation :D

Airec
01-30-2010, 04:03 AM
Haha no problem. I've actually been lurking here for quite a bit - this site is where I got into animation in the first place. I watch stuff from 11 second club every now and then, but I'm in school for animation atm so there's not really enough time to do extra stuff. But yea I'll be around. Feel free to shoot me a pm or an email anytime.

Tawnik
01-30-2010, 04:07 AM
Great, same here, I grew up on stickpage, what school are you studying ? What country..

Invert
01-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Not bad but the most noticable thing that I did not like was that when the var hits that man he reacts a little late, and when he does it does not push him far enough, the way he eases back into his normal stance as he he holds his hit stomach makes it look like he got hit much harder than how he reacted.

Airec
02-01-2010, 10:38 PM
@tawnik
I'm at Ringling College of Art and Design in Fl studying computer animation. Idk what kinda schools you're looking at (or if you're in school already) but I'd totally recommend it if your looking for someplace to study.

and uh...United States

Tawnik
02-02-2010, 02:47 AM
Invert, he didnt get hit, hes just scared, it doesnt push him, hes supposed to try to save himself, he doesnt hold his stomach :( does it really look like that?

Airec, thanks for telling me, I will google something about it, some reels etc, but Im from middle Europe, so, I guess this might be a problem :)

zer0gravity
02-02-2010, 04:36 AM
can you put it into .SWF? I can't watch videos =S