PDA

View Full Version : Subconscious sees the Future

Doomdooer
04-16-2008, 01:38 PM
In the latest Popular Science Issue, there was a (small) article discussing the topic of how often people dream.
The author said, on average, most people dream something like 2-6 hours a night.

The reason people don't believe they dream every night is because they don't remember/experience the dreams.
What causes someone to remember a dream? The author says we will remember a dream if we wake up in the middle of it. It sort of jumpstarts the brain when we wake up, and it retains the dream we just had.
That's why you remember nightmares a lot, because you wake up in the middle when they frighten or startle you.

My thought is simply this:
In order to experience the dream, we have to remember it.
To remember it, we have to wake up in the middle of it.
However, it seems as though we experience the dream before we wake up, right?
So it's like our subconscious seems to know that we will wake up in the middle of the dream and allows us to experience/remember it up to the point where we wake up, which is a very bizarre concept.

Discuss this oddity.
Can it really be true that to remember the dream, we must wake in the middle?
Isn't it strange that the actual waking causes us to experience the dream, which in reality, happened prior to the waking?

Kitsune
04-16-2008, 01:46 PM
I've had Deja-vu from a dream. I experience something like looking at something and I remember it from a dream I had.

But I didn't remember it before.

I think it can be true.

Stormwalker
04-16-2008, 05:36 PM
I've had Deja-vu from a dream. I experience something like looking at something and I remember it from a dream I had.

But I didn't remember it before.

I think it can be true.

IMO its not like that , some people say so , but its a silly theory. It happens because your mind gets the information faster than usual , so it seems that you have experienced it before.

MiniMan
04-16-2008, 07:28 PM
I once predicted the future n a dream...well, here is the story.

It was one of those dreams you have that made no sense, wasn't odd in anyway but somehow you can remember it months later.

I was at some party, at a table with a floral tablecloth getting some nachos. End of dream. Nothing right?

3-4 months later I go to my Mom's work party/picnc at a house of one of the bosses. I had never been to this house before. Well, as I was leaving I grabbed some nachos and I froze...everything was exactly like the dream, I remembered all the detail from months ago. The table cloth, me getting nachos and even the thing holding the cheese and a clock high up on a wall next to a big kitchen. I almosty shit myself.

I've had other occurences lke that. But nothing big.

Doomdooer
04-16-2008, 08:10 PM
I had a dream once, that also made me almost shit myself, Mini.
I dreamt that my Dad had brought a guy home from work for dinner.
This wasn't unusual because he worked with a lot of cool Japanese guys at the time and they were a blast.

So, this time, in my dream, he brought home a tall guy named Nabuya (I remember it because Japanese people are notoriously short).

The very next day, guess what? He brings home a tall guy named Nabuya to eat dinner.
Wierd.

NTG: yeah, I know exactly what you mean there.
Your brain either throws something extra freaky, and wakes you up, or it wakes you up because it can't come up with anything else.

Mr potato head
04-16-2008, 09:32 PM
have u guys ever been near an tv that was a lil too loud and the sound from the tv affects ur dream... one time yugioh was on lol. so i remeber hearing winged dragon of raw like thirty times. Woke up and there they were with the winged dragon of raw or i think that was the name. Its happend alot but thats one i remember cause the dream was almost a nightmare.

also ntg ur sig is friekn hilarious

Dragonkof
04-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Once, i had a dream that my old year 4 Teacher would have a accident, which i saw in the dream, the cuboard shelf collapsed and it all fell on him. anyway, about 3-4 months later, i went back to the school to help out, while i was helping on of the kids in my old year 4 class, with the same teacher, the teacher opened the cupboard to get something (dunno what) and the shelf collapsed and everything fell on him.

i shat bricks bigger then doomdooers head.

i have other ones like that, then i found out i fell out of bed and hit my head.
the dreams still happened though.

Krob
04-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I've started my own semi-religion. Or..idea of dreams. Have you ever had dreams where your someone else? What if, that person in your dream, was your past life? Before you were reincarnated? Gay, I know. But whatever. Need to lay off Acid.

Dragonkof
04-17-2008, 02:44 AM
i dreamt once i was with a hawt girl in a small room with a big bed.

i liked that dream