PDA

View Full Version : graphics card help

doc
02-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Alright, so im trying to run Crysis on my computer (for those of you who don't know, its a game). It runs, but it goes really slowly because of the graphics card. it says it needs "Direct 256 mb compatable video card". When I go into my comps display settings, it says this:
Total available graphics memory: 1759 MB
Dedicated video memory: 32 MB
System video memory: 96 MB
Shared System Memory: 1631 MB
So Im not a total computer idiot, but im just starting to come into the pc gaming world, and don't know what to do. My issue is that it says that i have 1759 mb available, but only 32 dedicated. Is there any way to contribute more? I have an hp pavilion dv4-1120us Entertainment notebook pc with 64 bit vista.
And i have googled this, but have gotten such mixed up answeres that i figured it would be best just to ask.

Scorpioxxx
02-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Hmm, from what I see you either have an integrated graphics card or a 32MB card. Not brilliant with laptops or vista but either vista is killing it or laptops in general don't come with much graphics power, i.e., gaming on laptops rarely goes well. If the card is integrated vista will more or less empty it entirely on it's own effects. Basicaly, you need to find out if vista is using all the graphics capabilities of the laptop, and if it is get windows 7, then figure out why you're trying to run Crysis on a laptop.

doc
02-08-2010, 07:02 AM
haha, because a laptop's all i have. But its a relatively new comp, i feel like it should work. Oh well.
And how could i figure out if vista is emptying it itself?

Scorpioxxx
02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
haha, because a laptop's all i have. But its a relatively new comp, i feel like it should work. Oh well.
And how could i figure out if vista is emptying it itself?

Yea, I looked it up and its looks like a good enough computer, I'm thinking it could be just crysis needed so much stuff just to run.

As for finding out if vista is using everything, I'm not sure of a windows equivalent but I have built in crap and programs for checking CPU and RAM usage, one of the RAM ones also includes video cards and the like so you basically want to find a program that can tell you what or your graphics capabilty is being used and run it when nothing but vista is running and see what the damage is from just running our operating system.

doc
02-08-2010, 01:21 PM
o ok thanks. stupid vista...