PDA

View Full Version : Free For All[RawGreen]

RawGreen
03-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Free for All:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/320153
I rushed it but I compiled allot of new stuff I learned.

oh, and here's a remix I finished today as well:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/320076
learned allot from this one that I put in the other one.
neow~

C&C

Exile
03-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Your percussion is a bit loud. Some layering would be nice too on the first one

Put some reverb on your crashes so they have a nicer tail, instead of just kind of ending after a bit of fading.

The remix is actually really good, I think you just need to start looking for some new VSTis so you can use some new sounds. Your synth choices have never been too great.

RawGreen
03-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Your percussion is a bit loud. Some layering would be nice too on the first one

Put some reverb on your crashes so they have a nicer tail, instead of just kind of ending after a bit of fading.

The remix is actually really good, I think you just need to start looking for some new VSTis so you can use some new sounds. Your synth choices have never been too great.

-_-"
I haven't figured out what's wrong with me on that spot yet.

Good critz as always...
and what's layering?

Exile
03-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Just stacking percussion, the first song has like one or two percussion elements.

Do you listen to much electronica? It sounds like you're working with a very limited soundset and to be fair, you probably are. Either way, start looking for some new gear.

RawGreen
03-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Just stacking percussion, the first song has like one or two percussion elements.

Do you listen to much electronica? It sounds like you're working with a very limited soundset and to be fair, you probably are. Either way, start looking for some new gear.

yes, I am, and you made allot of sense just now.

I actually have a wide choice of instruments to choose from and if I need more I can go on KVRaudio and get some free VST for an instrument or effect to use. I've been avoiding using too wide of a selection to avoid clashing sounds, I guess I let it just get a little too narrow.

I have a copy of Reason 4 from my cousin, but I lost the CD somewhere in my room. If I get my hands on it, I'll definitely be using it..
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/177641
I did that one there with it before my computer crashed from overloading the CPU...

Exile
03-22-2010, 09:07 PM
yes, I am, and you made allot of sense just now.

was that sarcastic? can't tell

I'm just saying, your overall sound makes it sound like you're working with the instruments you have rather than finding/making sounds to fit your music, if that makes sense. A lot of your melodic parts would sound better played through different patches, I think.. since you're new to this I can assume you aren't picking those sounds entirely deliberately, either you don't have the sounds or don't know exactly what would sound good where yet.

I have something like 15 VSTi's, I'd really suggest getting anything by Spectraonics, Rob Papen or Native Instruments. I'm not saying it's necessary, but if you really want your songs to have a "polished" sound you should broaden your horizons beyond free VSTis.

RawGreen
03-22-2010, 09:27 PM
was that sarcastic? can't tell

I'm just saying, your overall sound makes it sound like you're working with the instruments you have rather than finding/making sounds to fit your music, if that makes sense. A lot of your melodic parts would sound better played through different patches, I think.. since you're new to this I can assume you aren't picking those sounds entirely deliberately, either you don't have the sounds or don't know exactly what would sound good where yet.

I have something like 15 VSTi's, I'd really suggest getting anything by Spectraonics, Rob Papen or Native Instruments. I'm not saying it's necessary, but if you really want your songs to have a "polished" sound you should broaden your horizons beyond free VSTis.

not only did you make sense before, but now you clarified it. So I should listen through more patches to see if it's really better or not...
I don't know what would sound good where yet.

The reasoning behind the free VSTis is that I couldn't figure out what I would need or where to look, but with the suggestions you gave I'll have a clearer idea on what I'd want to get.

Oh and btw, I'm usually not sarcastic unless I make it overly obvious. I really couldn't ask any more of you, you do give me the best(and I mean the best) critique on my music that I could ever ask for.
then again I do talk like some corny little internet beef.

Edit: oh and by the way, I highly suggest some VSTis from DSK like Ethereal PadZ 2, Odisea and Choas Theory.
I still haven't fully utilized them yet.

‹berschall
03-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Just a little thing about Crashes: They usually sound best if you always put a lone kickdrum beneath them. That's something you learn for acoustic drumming, but it also works for electronica. It just sounds better and gives them some sort of a base.
The Piano in Free For All sounds pretty cheesy, but predominantly it's too muddy. You might want to equalize it and bring the treble out and maybe you could even compress it a bit. I always find myself complaining about how dry mixes are, as in lacking some effects here and there, same here. The percussives are somewhat boring as they are without effects and everything and the open HiHat is kind of annoying because it's so loud.
Apart from that I can really only agree with Exilement, your synth choices sound pretty limited.
Then again it's actually not bad, it would be a great base to come back to in a couple of months and take the chord progression and everything and completely revamp it. Happened to me so often.

RawGreen
03-23-2010, 11:34 AM
I'll take up on that, in fact I have usually been revising things sooner than that, but I wonder what would happen in a months time.