PDA

View Full Version : Dreams of a Horse Thief

Not_Nish
03-27-2010, 04:21 AM
Hi, this is a work-in-progress that I wanted to share with all of you. I'll finish this if you guys think I'm on the right track. Its quite surreal and silly but I hope you find it entertaining. Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CNBwj5Yt7A

poppetje3D
03-27-2010, 04:37 AM
Wow , cant wait to see the full version.

Not_Nish
03-27-2010, 04:40 AM
Thanks! Anything you liked/disliked in particular that I can work on for the full version?

Zed
03-27-2010, 04:56 AM
Wow, it's really creative. There's some impressive artistry in how it's been laid out at the start and choreographed. The only thing is, none of the basics are there. The main thing you need to learn is easing. When you apply that it'll look great. It'll just take nineteen times longer to make. Take a look through this (http://forums.stickpage.com/showthread.php?25590-Pivot-for-Beginners); if you get all the things in there right you'll be good.

Not_Nish
03-27-2010, 05:43 AM
Yeah this is my first time with Pivot so my basics are totally off. Was trying to make up for it with some kinetic presentation. Will try to get better with time, which shouldnt be too long cause the tutorials here kick ass. :)

Fries
03-28-2010, 04:11 PM
ummm...i think the link is broken or something cause it took me to crappy animation? for a second i thought poppet was joking but when i saw zed say it was fairly good i didnt know wat to think?

Not_Nish
03-29-2010, 04:12 AM
Any chance you could give me some constructive criticism on what was so crappy about it, so I can make the finished version better?

Is it the lack of 'easing' that Zed was advising me about? Or did you find something else that you really didn't like?

ani
03-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Very creative animation. I'm impressed you made such a long animation when this is your first time using Pivot. Yes there are many things that need to be worked on, like Zed said, easing is what you should work on first. Try some test to work on some of the basics. For example a bouncing ball would help on the basics of gravity and easing, or a walking loop for movement and easing.

A Kindly Gentleman
03-29-2010, 01:22 PM
What the **** did I just watch.

Peppar
03-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Give some c&c. Do not insult.

The choreography was creative.

Devour
03-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Wow. I felt I was tripping balls while watching that

A Kindly Gentleman
03-29-2010, 04:21 PM
It was the ****ing repetitive music that made my mind break down and cause me to spasm.

Fries
03-29-2010, 06:15 PM
idk why some of you guys thought it was so good....
ok well for some cc.....alot of the animation was verrrryyyy choppy and lacked easing as Zed sed (+1 point for rhyming), and some spacing was off....

Cosmo
03-29-2010, 06:44 PM
idk why some of you guys thought it was so good....
ok well for some cc.....alot of the animation was verrrryyyy choppy and lacked easing as Zed sed (+1 point for rhyming), and some spacing was off....
Because it was creative you dumbass. It wasn't a shitty stick fight. I would much rather see more stuff like this than stick fights with perfect easing, physics etc.

Not_Nish
03-30-2010, 01:26 AM
@Ani: Thank you. Yes I'm working on my basics now as everyone has suggested. To be honest, I didn't even know of concepts such as easing because I'm new to pivot. However now I'm making sure I read all the tutorials here to make sure I have a decent knowledge of the basics before I begin another frame of my work.

@A Kindly Gentleman: Well, can't please them all. Is there any way you could give some CC instead of being hostile? I thought we're all here to learn how to get better. As for the 'repetitive' music, I thought most people would be able to tell from the sepia tone and the scratched-film effect that this is supposed to resemble the really old silent films that depended on absurd slapstick. This music is the closest in spirit to the music used in those movies. I dont mean to sound arrogant, I'm just explaining why I used that music in case anyone else was wondering. If it sent you into 'spasms', I would also advice against watching any of Charlie Chaplin's early work. :)

@Cinnamonbun: Thanks man. Like I said, I'm going through all the tutorials here to get better. Since many of you seem to think this is creative, I want to combine that with fluid movement. Hilarious avatar btw.

@Devour: Hope you meant that in a good way? Since this is meant to be surreal, I"ll take it as a compliment. Thanks.

@Sonic Youth: Thank you for your CC, will get better at the basics. But it would greatly help people who are starting out if relatively experienced posters like you didn't take such a condescending and mocking tone. Just a friendly opinion.

@Cosmo: Thank you Cosmo. I thought a good animation was one that made people go 'wow' for whatever reason. I really need to thank everyone who looked past the technical ineptness of my animation and liked the creativity and choreography.

Btw, this is a just a general query by a newbie. But what exactly makes a good pivot animation in the eyes of the posters here? Is it only the technical physics invovled? But is it also about creating something that is unique?

When I finally absorb all the tutorials here, and make the physics in this toon better... will the animation be good BECAUSE I got the physics right? Or is accurate physics normally just an added bonus to a unique animation? Just an honest question from someone who doesnt know the general consensus here.

A Kindly Gentleman
03-30-2010, 08:04 AM
I wasn't being hostile I meant this was surreal as **** and you did a great job of it

A Kindly Gentleman
03-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Also dont listen to Sonic Youth nobody likes him and all he cares about are PERFUCTLY ANIMOOTD FITE ANIMAAAASHUNS. Also I'm a better animator then him.

Not_Nish
03-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Lol ok if you weren't being hostile, I guess I misunderstood you. Cheers.

As for Sonic Youth, I still dont know if his ONLY problem was my lack of basics. Because he seemed really surprised that I got even vaguely positive feedback for my 'crappy' animation.

A Kindly Gentleman
03-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Like I said he's a faggot who only cares about FITE ANIMASHUNZ BECAUZ DEY TOTLLY RWK DUED!!!11

bubbles
03-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Error...error... creativity..does not compute...does not compute..unable to..register...what is creativity? error..ERROR!!
proceed with primary programing preparing to logicly break down animation in terms of quality.

Erh erm. Well I only had to watch the animation half way through to know that you have a lot to work on. Remember, move every joint of your stickman in each frame. Remember fluidity, where you need to keep constant movement throughout an animation, having your stickman stop halfway through kills the flow and breaks up the animation. Remember what zed said, ease everything you do. Keep in mind physics, remember thet the centre of gravity is allways over the yellow dot (or so I think anyway) and if something looks shaky or uneased then don't be afraid to go back and do it again. Stride for perfection, not length.

Not_Nish
03-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks ghostly. Like I said, Im working on those basics that you pointed out. I wasn't striving for length, I just had an idea that happened to stretch across a span of time. But point noted.

So did you watch the whole thing? Or did the lack of physics turn you off halfway through?

bubbles
03-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks ghostly. Like I said, Im working on those basics that you pointed out. I wasn't striving for length, I just had an idea that happened to stretch across a span of time. But point noted.

So did you watch the whole thing? Or did the lack of physics turn you off halfway through?It's not that I was put off. But that half is all I needed to see in order to give critisism.

Zed
03-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Btw, this is a just a general query by a newbie. But what exactly makes a good pivot animation in the eyes of the posters here? Is it only the technical physics invovled? But is it also about creating something that is unique?

When I finally absorb all the tutorials here, and make the physics in this toon better... will the animation be good BECAUSE I got the physics right? Or is accurate physics normally just an added bonus to a unique animation? Just an honest question from someone who doesnt know the general consensus here.

It depends on the individual. In general the more they've animated the more they'll appreciate perfection with movements, easing, stiffness, and all of that, and the older they are the more they'll appreciate something new and creative and slightly surreal. But not random. You must be very careful not to get your surrealism blended with the sort of HAHA SO RANDOM humour that a lot of youtube pivoteers engage in.

Personally, I've seen far too much great animation and not enough creativity recently. I would love your animations to be of high quality because I think that can only improve them, but I wouldn't like to see the style slip.

Not_Nish
03-30-2010, 03:21 PM
@Ghostly: Cool. Will keep your advice at heart.

@Zed: Yeah I know, I'm also very wary of all the so called 'surrealism' on Youtube. For this particular animation, I've got an entirely symbolic structure mapped out (it actually symbolises awkward sex, unplanned parenthood and even hints of abortion... see if you can spot the clues/symbols) and I think it functions on an internal logic of its own. Right now, I'm re-doing it and striving to get the physics accurate... I guess your comments (and almost everyone else's) have shown me that even though I've tried to do something unique, I need to work on my proficiency to make it enjoyable. :)

Peppar
03-30-2010, 05:54 PM
@Cinnamonbun: Thanks man. Like I said, I'm going through all the tutorials here to get better. Since many of you seem to think this is creative, I want to combine that with fluid movement. Hilarious avatar btw. The avatar was a gif dancing fat cat. but it could not move.

Fries
03-31-2010, 09:36 AM
im officially lost...the animation it took me to sucked, so i dont know what the big deal is...i posted a little bit of cc on the second page but i couldnt really say much

Devour
03-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Your idea of a good animation sucks then. :v
I'd rather watch an entertaining video than a well animated one.

Not_Nish
03-31-2010, 09:57 AM
@Sonic Youth: I read your CC and I agree it has its technical faults. I just want to know if you thought a lack of basics would render any animation useless? Or whether you thought it had absolutely no positive points at all. Just wanted to know everyone's opinion so I can get better at this.

@Devour: If that means you think this was an entertaining video, thank you very much.

Kieran.
04-02-2010, 03:35 AM
I love the creativity! It was almost like a wonderful theatre performance.

But, when you've have learnt the basics; smoothness, easing, non-stiffness, then it will turn it into a performance made not by cardboard puppets, but by real humans!

2-D
04-02-2010, 05:57 AM
i like the part where he goes up his butt, uh huhuhuhuhuh.

Not_Nish
04-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Thanks Kieran...never had it likened to a theatre piece before, but glad you liked it. Cheers.

@2-D : Thats the part most people like. Given the fact that you seem to despise Pivot and Pivoters in general, I suppose it is hopeless to ask for any CC? :)