PDA

View Full Version : Demolish the Beginner thread?

zawmbee
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM
I mean in all honesty no one posts there, and when they do, their animations are ignored and buried away somewhere far. Atleast with threads everyone would get the CC they kindly deserve - other than the heroic Zed who always comments on the Beginner thread. I see the beginners thread as more of a Pivot Chat thread, maybe we could convert it into that instead?

Besides, the Pivot section is beginning to become a little dry anyone making threads would liven it up. Maybe a thread per person and no more?

Would anyone consider this? I see no flaws, other than people making alot of threads, which is easily manageable.

Zed
04-13-2010, 09:09 AM
We could do a one-month trial period where the BT is locked and see what happens.

I'll let others pass comment first though.

poppetje3D
04-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Thats an awesome idea , Giving the noobys space to post all their animations in a separate thread and us trying to repeat and say to them that they must post everything in one...
:p

megaanims
04-13-2010, 09:24 AM
I mean in all honesty no one posts there, and when they do, their animations are ignored and buried away somewhere far. Atleast with threads everyone would get the CC they kindly deserve - other than the heroic Zed who always comments on the Beginner thread. I see the beginners thread as more of a Pivot Chat thread, maybe we could convert it into that instead?

Besides, the Pivot section is beginning to become a little dry anyone making threads would liven it up. Maybe a thread per person and no more?

Would anyone consider this? I see no flaws, other than people making alot of threads, which is easily manageable.
so you're saying it's become Beginner's chat or something like that and that you propose locking it since no one comments on beginner's animations instead talk about something completely unrelated?
yeah I've noticed that for a few days,no one's commenting much but I'll agree with my friend zed,we'll what happens in month or so.

‹berschall
04-13-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm in favour of a trial lockage to see how it pans out, it can't really hurt since I also think the BT is pretty obsolete these days.

Zed
04-13-2010, 09:36 AM
'tis done.

Scarecrow
04-13-2010, 09:36 AM
The reason we have a beginner's thread is so that the rest of the forum is clogged up with animations by five year olds as little as possible. Without it, there is nowhere out of the way for them to post their animations, and the pivot section will be flooded with garbage. Beginners don't need criticism... most of them can't even understand criticism. All they need is practice, and encouragement... and they can get both of those with other beginners in the beginner's thread. Seriously, what the hell are you thinking?

The pivot section is slowing down so you want to break down the walls of the the beginner's thread?

That's like saying "the dam is empty so we should set off a tidal wave". It's not going to help! You're just going to destroy everything, and at the end of it all you'll have is salt water!

[edit]

Oh, god, no!

Zed
04-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Hence why it's not being removed completely. If it gets insane by tomorrow then the trial can be ended prematurely.

zawmbee
04-13-2010, 09:51 AM
The reason we have a beginner's thread is so that the rest of the forum is clogged up with animations by five year olds as little as possible. Without it, there is nowhere out of the way for them to post their animations, and the pivot section will be flooded with garbage. Beginners don't need criticism... most of them can't even understand criticism. All they need is practice, and encouragement... and they can get both of those with other beginners in the beginner's thread. Seriously, what the hell are you thinking?

The pivot section is slowing down so you want to break down the walls of the the beginner's thread?

That's like saying "the dam is empty so we should set off a tidal wave". It's not going to help! You're just going to destroy everything, and at the end of it all you'll have is salt water!

[edit]

Oh, god, no!
I see what you're saying but have a quick browse around the Pivot section. Beginners are making threads, so I ask what's the point if we can't ful;y enforce it? They may aswell make a thread, since they already do.

so you're saying it's become Beginner's chat or something like that and that you propose locking it since no one comments on beginner's animations instead talk about something completely unrelated?
yeah I've noticed that for a few days,no one's commenting much but I'll agree with my friend zed,we'll what happens in month or so.
Not a beginners chat thread, an overall pivot chat thread. Where you can discuss anything from upcoming animations to stick making ideas.

poppetje3D
04-13-2010, 09:52 AM
This is such an bad idea.

zawmbee
04-13-2010, 09:55 AM
This is such an bad idea.
Why the assumption?

Besides it's just a trial session.

‹berschall
04-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Not a beginners chat thread, an overall pivot chat thread. Where you can discuss anything from upcoming animations to stick making ideas.

That thread actually already exists. "Pivot Organisation".

Scarecrow
04-13-2010, 09:57 AM
I see what you're saying but have a quick browse around the Pivot section. Beginners are making threads, so I ask what's the point if we can't ful;y enforce it? They may aswell make a thread, since they already do.

Because it's a problem we can't stop; we can, however keep it to a manageable level, and to do that the beginner's thread was created.

Normally I don't care what goes on in the pivot section, but this damn well effects me because it will damn well effects the "New Posts" button and I am damn well not happy about having my "New Posts" button even more clogged with shit than it already is

zawmbee
04-13-2010, 10:00 AM
That thread actually already exists. "Pivot Organisation".
Haha, oh yeah. Must have slipped my mind.

Because it's a problem we can't stop; we can, however keep it to a manageable level, and to do that the beginner's thread was created.

Normally I don't care what goes on in the pivot section, but this damn well effects me because it will damn well effects the "New Posts" button and I am damn well not happy about having my "New Posts" button even more clogged with shit than it already is
Fair enough, but I always thought there was a filter on that thing. Guess not.

Zed
04-13-2010, 10:05 AM
I hadn't considered the "New Posts" area. I agree, that would get worse. If the beginners thread is going to be re-opened though, the rules regarding it should probably be more formalised. Like, at the moment the only thing we can do is to recommend people go there. I wouldn't be against making it a rule that you had to post there until someone that doesn't have to post there tells you that you can post elsewhere. At least then mods could legitimately deal with shitspam, either by outright deleting it or merging it into the BT.

Yummerz
04-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Lol.
Poppet changes his mind.

Scarecrow
04-13-2010, 10:40 AM
I hadn't considered the "New Posts" area. I agree, that would get worse. If the beginners thread is going to be re-opened though, the rules regarding it should probably be more formalised. Like, at the moment the only thing we can do is to recommend people go there. I wouldn't be against making it a rule that you had to post there until someone that doesn't have to post there tells you that you can post elsewhere. At least then mods could legitimately deal with shitspam, either by outright deleting it or merging it into the BT.

and now everybody comes crawling back to the ranking system...

poppetje3D
04-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Old way's are the best.

Vorpal
04-13-2010, 12:55 PM
We could do a one-month trial period where the BT is locked and see what happens.

I'll let others pass comment first though.
Oh dear god no don't do that, they did that once before you were a member. Trust me as long as pivot is a program that thread should stay right there.

The Dude
04-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Oh dear god no don't do that, they did that once before you were a member. Trust me as long as pivot is a program that thread should stay right there.
I agree.

But I like having my own thread.
Speaking of which, I'll advertise it right here.
Because you closed rightful place in the beginner's thread. -

http://forums.stickpage.com/showthread.php?32552-The-Dude-s-Thread&p=569029#post569029

zawmbee
04-13-2010, 12:59 PM
lolwut? I joined before you. And I definitely don't remember that :s

It's been down for an hour now and everything seems fine. We shall see.

Vorpal
04-13-2010, 01:10 PM
It's going to rain fire!
You fools!

Zed
04-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Time for the heavy-duty umbrellas then.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/04/star-wars-style-darth-vaders-lightsaber-umbrella.jpg

megaanims
04-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Time for the heavy-duty umbrellas then.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/04/star-wars-style-darth-vaders-lightsaber-umbrella.jpg
lol,since when did you have a sense of humour?

Covalence
04-14-2010, 12:36 PM
they did this a couple of years back, and it ended up turning the section into a hellhole of people asking for comments on their animations, as they would either be posted in someone else's thread or in a repost thread
the same was done for the flash and easytoon sections, and to be honest, they should truly not have a beginner's section, because i've seen more mature flash and easytoon beginners compared to pivot beginners

/disregardeveryotherpost

zawmbee
04-14-2010, 12:57 PM
they did this a couple of years back, and it ended up turning the section into a hellhole of people asking for comments on their animations, as they would either be posted in someone else's thread or in a repost thread
the same was done for the flash and easytoon sections, and to be honest, they should truly not have a beginner's section, because i've seen more mature flash and easytoon beginners compared to pivot beginners

/disregardeveryotherpost
Disregard everything you just said. You're forgetting what separates pivot from flash and easytoon - Zed. What other moderator animates? Mhmmm, hopefully Zed can patrol around. I'll be reporting anything worth reporting.

Looks good so far.

‹berschall
04-14-2010, 02:07 PM
I'll have an eye on the section, too. We'll just see how the idea pans out.

Zed
04-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Only one bad thread so far, and there's no way to be sure that stuff would've gone in beginners anyway. It's going so well...

Cronos
04-15-2010, 05:34 AM

/disregardeveryotherpost

You have a ****ing awsome sig.

Covalence
04-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Disregard everything you just said. You're forgetting what separates pivot from flash and easytoon - Zed. What other moderator animates? Mhmmm, hopefully Zed can patrol around. I'll be reporting anything worth reporting.

Looks good so far.
Yeah, what made it fail last time was the lack of attention to the section in the first place. Maybe Zed can whip this section into a monstrosity better than those pro-Pivot communities.

thanks cronos, you're the second person to say so