PDA

View Full Version : Button Game [WIP]

Arch-Angel
04-18-2010, 01:06 AM
April 17th-
http://www.truploader.com/view/658885

So far just a level and a few sprites. No action script so it's unplayable as of now. I'm going to finish everything before I get someone to code it. The primary objective to this game is to use buttons to assist you in completing a level. Sounds simple, right?

Yeah.

No.

In later levels, I'm going to implement timers, puzzles, and cool robotic type things.
There are also going to be a few enemies and weapons. Maybe a total of 10-20 levels. I might go back and actual make a theme for the gamee instead of it's gray, flat theme. I'll post screenshots and stuff of my progress throughout the next week or so. I don't plan on spending but so much time on this.

Ideas and suggestions are cool.
If there's anything you want to see in the game, any features, etc, just put it in a reply or something.

April 17th-
http://www.truploader.com/uploads/271921screenshot.jpg

April 18th-
http://www.truploader.com/uploads/235790screenshot22.jpg
Level two. New features are
Turntables- Press the green button and the platforms around them move. This is a basic idea, later on there could be more advanced turntables. Jump on the wrong platform and bad things could happen.
Jets- Press the yellow button and the platform will launch in the direction of the arrow. Watch out, though. Walls will stop the platform and can end the character flying.
BReakable scenery(not noticeable)- Find a nifty grenade? Maybe a C4 charge. How about setting it near a a wall or floor and watch something cool happen!
Interactive scenery- Scenery that will have to be changed in order for it to benefit you.
Blast gun- A gun that you will find. It shoots explosives, and if used correctly, it can give the player a boost when they jump.

Kitsune
04-18-2010, 04:33 AM
It looks good. if I were you I'd bend the back leg and arm of the running stickfigure more when it's coming forward. I've seen a lot of run/walk cycles that keep these things relatively straight in the back and it always bugs me for some reason, But yeah I'm being picky. I can't offer much help here other than motion study, because I'm just all about that. ;o
Is the one that's in a semi-fetal position the jumping one? because if so I'd recommend that you do a simple jump animation and have it stop at that sort of position, instead of having it snap to that position the moment he goes airborne.

The button/arrow look great too. keep at it!

doc
04-18-2010, 06:13 AM
Its lookin good, pretty clever. So are we done with ours then? lol

Arch-Angel
04-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Honestly I cannot find the time to work on it, Doc.
Maybe sometime in May after all the testing and crap >_>
That's why this is kind of a solo/quick project.

Kitsune- Yeah, I normally don't dig the straight back either, it's just how I drew it, so I had to animate it. I'm always changing things as I progress, so when it's done, you may see a completely different run animation.
I could probably change the inair sprite to have a take off type of animation and the put stop(); in it or something. It's not a bad idea.

Oh, did you notice how the back leg has a stutter on the run? =D

Kieran.
04-18-2010, 08:42 AM
The run looked really weird to me. But I guess it will fit well when its actually moving around?

Cronos
04-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Looks good so far. Did you use some kind of 3D feature for the wall, and if so is it CS4?

Arch-Angel
04-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Uhm, no?
It's called knowledge of 3-D motion and mapping out the frames in 2-D.
All I had to do is find the arc, copy and past it on each leg, and draw a line in between so I knew where to move the wall when I animated it.

Kitsune
04-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Honestly I cannot find the time to work on it, Doc.
Maybe sometime in May after all the testing and crap >_>
That's why this is kind of a solo/quick project.

Kitsune- Yeah, I normally don't dig the straight back either, it's just how I drew it, so I had to animate it. I'm always changing things as I progress, so when it's done, you may see a completely different run animation.
I could probably change the inair sprite to have a take off type of animation and the put stop(); in it or something. It's not a bad idea.

Oh, did you notice how the back leg has a stutter on the run? =D
I didn't mind the stutter. Maybe it's what drew my attention or something. The take off thing would be ideal I think.

Uhm, no?
It's called knowledge of 3-D motion and mapping out the frames in 2-D.
All I had to do is find the arc, copy and past it on each leg, and draw a line in between so I knew where to move the wall when I animated it.
its actually called knowing laws of perspective in drawing. theres no such thing as 3d motion :p. But why am I correcting you how gay of me.

Arch-Angel
04-18-2010, 06:26 PM
That wasn't a, "The technical term for what I'm trying to tell you is-".
That is literally back hand knowledge of how a three dimensional object would move, and then implying a replica into 2-D.

I did the opposite of what you just did :/

Anywho, daily update time.
http://www.truploader.com/uploads/235790screenshot22.jpg
Level two. New features are
Turntables- Press the green button and the platforms around them move. This is a basic idea, later on there could be more advanced turntables. Jump on the wrong platform and bad things could happen.
Jets- Press the yellow button and the platform will launch in the direction of the arrow. Watch out, though. Walls will stop the platform and can end the character flying.
BReakable scenery(not noticeable)- Find a nifty grenade? Maybe a C4 charge. How about setting it near a a wall or floor and watch something cool happen!
Interactive scenery- Scenery that will have to be changed in order for it to benefit you.
Blast gun- A gun that you will find. It shoots explosives, and if used correctly, it can give the player a boost when they jump.

Suggestions are still cool.

Scarecrow
04-18-2010, 08:08 PM
recommendation: make it work before you start building tons of levels

looks cool though. is this going to be a puzzle game or a race to the finish type deal?

Arch-Angel
04-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Puzzle game.
There is going to be a lot of things to do towards the end.

To be honest, I'm thinking about restarting to make it easier to design and code the levels. The way I have it so far is the primary level is just one large painting, not a symbol or anything. It'd be easier if I made symbols, or building blocks.