PDA

View Full Version : Stickmen on Flash Help

iStick G
04-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Whenever I see a stick movie made in flash on SPP, it looks great, and the stickmen look great as well... but how? They seem to be in proportion all the time like in pivot, when where you move a joint, it doesn't change shape, size or proportion. But when I try to draw a stickman in flash, it always comes out wrong, like this:
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/GX248/stik1.png
Now, to be fair i drew this without using the straight line tool, which most videos i see don't use anyway and they still come out fine, and even when I do use the straight line tool and draw a half-decent stickman, when i try to move a joint, this happens:
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/GX248/stk.png
The joint just resizes and doesn't move. So I want to know, is their anyway to fixate the joint so it doesn't do this? How can i get my stickmen looking pivot perfect in flash?
->
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/GX248/st0.jpg

Komaru
04-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Freeform select tool.
Move the center to the place of the joint attachment, and then just rotate it.

iStick G
04-23-2008, 04:44 PM
by center do you mean the little white circle?

Gavel
04-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Um, "Pivot perfect"? Don't use the pivot method of animating in Flash. It's much easier too work up your frame-by-frame animation capabilities instead. Use the brush tool or the pencil tool and draw your stick figures in the desired positions on each frame. Everyone thinks it's hard because you redraw it every frame, but it's actually less time consuming than pivot because instead of moving each and every limb into place, you just draw it.

iStick G
04-23-2008, 05:13 PM
yeah, i understand that, it's just with pivot the limbs are always the same shape and thickness, but with flash if you keep redrawing the guy his limbs usually end up changing length and stuff.

Gavel
04-23-2008, 05:26 PM
The change wouldn't be big enough to be noticeable if you're going through it patiently and putting effort into it. You can also turn on the grid and the onion skin tool.

Paco
04-23-2008, 05:43 PM
well if you want line to be consistant use the pencil tool and pick a thinkness.

Ordinair
04-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Flash doesn't work like pivot. You just cant drag the ends of the lines and have flash automaticly know which lines you want to move with line. It is possible to have the joints act like pivot though if you group all the joints and have the lower joints put inside the group of the upper joints.

For example:

Draw the body. Group it with Ctrl+G. Double click on the new group. Draw an arm. Group it. Change the rotation point to the shoulder (white circle). Double click. Repeat for lower arm etc. Then go back to the main stage and repeat for the different limbs.

Or of course you could just redraw the frame which maybe be less complicated but will take more time in the long run.

Gavel
04-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Or of course you could just redraw the frame which maybe be less complicated but will take more time in the long run.
Well not really. To group, position, and rotate every single limb in each frame would be more time consuming than just redrawing it with the line tool. And it wouldn't look as good.