PDA

View Full Version : New way of battling

Xero
02-19-2012, 10:53 PM
http://www.fileize.com/view/ebdfd22e-2ae/

This is a small action scene i intend to put into my RHG practice round with my friend.
Warning in advanced! the real animation is no more than 4 seconds, it loops
Im only posting it here to get some feedback on what i did well, and what i can improve.

Lalli
02-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Oops, we have an error!

Excellion1498
02-20-2012, 08:03 AM
The page you have linked does not exist.

Xero
02-20-2012, 08:17 AM
try it now

Excellion1498
02-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Seems pretty good to me, but the larger sword looks like a knife blown out of proportion.

Xero
02-20-2012, 09:21 AM
blame my friend
its his special "bazooka blade"

Quik
02-22-2012, 11:56 AM
The overall fight sequence is sorta repetitive GX... before even think of over excited fight sequences try learning the basics first...

1. The brush strokes were sloppy... practice more with that... neater brush strokes makes a happy audience...
2. Your RHG did the same slash like a bunch of times just with jumps...
3. Things could be a bit smoother... and a little more forceful...

Plz try to improve on basics before trying to make anything legit...

Xero
02-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Did you not read the first post? it loops, yes its going to get repetitive
but yeah, i appreciate the feedback.

Quik
02-22-2012, 01:48 PM
When I said repetitive i meant the fighting... like as in your RHG doing an upper slash over and over again... and it rly isn't a loop... loops generally have come back in place...

My cnc is not to be taken as a useless insult or random babbling... it is something to be noted...

Xero
02-22-2012, 02:18 PM
lets just keep it at "i need to fix my repetitiveness" and move on before this turns into an arguement.
dont wanna have that! :O

ehlboy
02-22-2012, 02:26 PM
MOAR FRAMES and nice sfx

Kitsune
02-22-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm not blaming your friend because he cant draw swords and you dont know how to use the free transform tool. If it looks fucked up then fix it.

Plz try to improve on basics before trying to make anything legit...
Lol.

MOAR FRAMES and nice sfx
I agree. I suggest tuning them down tho.

cmkinusn
02-22-2012, 04:20 PM
So, I have a question: How is this a new way of battling? And also, that blade is retarded, and you probably should have told your friend that. Thats what friends are for.

It is very repetitive, as Quik (or whoever) said, you should probably consider choreographing your fight before you animate it. Like how a comic book is laid out, plan your fight out. That way you can make the fight interesting before you ever even worry about animating it.

Kitsune
02-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Like how a comic book is laid out, plan your fight out. That way you can make the fight interesting before you ever even worry about animating it.
Storyboarding .

Xero
02-22-2012, 04:59 PM
yes i appreciate the feedback im getting here, ill keep trying to improve.
its called new way of battling because of its perspective, like an anime. most stick fights are composed of 2-D fighting, or comepletly different views on angles, and i wanted to try something abit different.

EDIT: oh, and before anyone says anything else about my sloppy brush strokes, I DO NOT HAVE TABLET. all my anims are done on laptop mouse because i currently cant afford tablet. so expect sloppy strokes.

Kitsune
02-22-2012, 06:18 PM
yes i appreciate the feedback im getting here, ill keep trying to improve.
its called new way of battling because of its perspective, like an anime. most stick fights are composed of 2-D fighting, or comepletly different views on angles, and i wanted to try something abit different.

EDIT: oh, and before anyone says anything else about my sloppy brush strokes, I DO NOT HAVE TABLET. all my anims are done on laptop mouse because i currently cant afford tablet. so expect sloppy strokes.

That's no way to draw. If you're doing graphics with a mouse I'd suggest the fountain pen tool instead of the brush tool. The vector correction and the lack of lineweight definition makes the brush tool shitty with the mouse.
I dont see what's different about this angle that you're comparing to anime. Please elaborate. Is it the cropping of the shot that youre talking about?

Xero
02-22-2012, 06:31 PM
sorry, its just that in the 4 months I've been animating,.ive grown accustomed to the brush tool, its how I learned to animate sticks, and its how I've always used to drawn on flash. yes I'm talking about the cropping of the shot, but the objective was to have the background in the final result move in a loop to make it seem like theyre both moving in a circle, like an anime. forgive me if my skills aren't up to the expectation level on this site, it seems to have increased ever since the merger. i do intend to improve though so bare with me when I try something new.

RawGreen
02-22-2012, 09:58 PM
It was very sloppy.
Try putting more time to make sure all the movements are placed correctly, or what you're doing, or what you're going to do for the movements.

I see this allot in Anime, so it's not really new.
Though not many solo animators actually use it, it can look neat if done properly with accuracy.
The cons is that if overused or poorly done it's very cheap and repetitive.

If you do something like this and you want to loop it, try 5 to 6 consecutive Attacks/Blocks.

What helps is if the figures overlap differently on each crossing.
One example....could be.... instead of one figure being on the lower layer all the time from the other figure, switch them.

Another example could be something like, in the process of dodging an attack.

etc, etc, endless options as usual.

Arch-Angel
02-22-2012, 10:31 PM
mouse = line tool
tablet = brush tool

Smile
02-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Terkoiz animates using his mouse and the brush tool. But yeah, Line tool is very much recommended when using mouse.

Kitsune
02-23-2012, 03:40 AM
sorry, its just that in the 4 months I've been animating,.ive grown accustomed to the brush tool, its how I learned to animate sticks, and its how I've always used to drawn on flash. yes I'm talking about the cropping of the shot, but the objective was to have the background in the final result move in a loop to make it seem like theyre both moving in a circle, like an anime. forgive me if my skills aren't up to the expectation level on this site, it seems to have increased ever since the merger. i do intend to improve though so bare with me when I try something new.
There isnt a skillcap for posting on stickpage. You're doing fine. The goal you had in mind seems a little confizzling. I suggest if you want a thing like that with context is to have a background. Drawing stickfigures by it's principles is just supposed to be easy for the artist. It should take you minutes to figure out how to animate with the line/fountain pen tool, and just a few tests to get used to it. Diversify yourself while you cant afford a tablet.

Terkoiz animates using his mouse and the brush tool. But yeah, Line tool is very much recommended when using mouse.

Terkoiz isnt an example. Terkoiz is good at flash and has been using it for years, he also probably refines his strokes with the mouse to make it look nice, which sucks to do with a mouse in flash. In any case you cant just practice animation with a mouse without having complete control of the content.

RawGreen
02-23-2012, 01:02 PM

If you're talking about mostly Quik's comment, he has good advice sometime but he has a stupid jackass attribute that pops up when he posts too much.

Kitsune
02-23-2012, 04:54 PM
If you're talking about mostly Quik's comment, he has good advice sometime but he has a stupid jackass attribute that pops up when he posts too much.

Yeah I wasnt too fond of that feedback.
What are you talking about with this "merger"? who merged with stickpage?

Arch-Angel
02-23-2012, 06:32 PM
fluidanims.

Xero
02-24-2012, 11:43 AM
wow, i thought everyone here was aware of the merger. yes stickpage merged with fluidanims, and your going to see ALOT of changes.
but enough of being off topic, keep this feedback coming!

Kitsune
02-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Oh thats nice I guess. I dunno, other than the RHG forums and crowd of new guys there doesn't seem to be that much changed. I tried going to that forum once. I ended up losing interest on my way to college but they seemed like a decent community for feedback.

Also is this forum still full of sticklers about being 'productive and on-topic'? Like the people who cant look at a post without measuring it's value instead of it's simply idle conversation (what forums are good for)? because i already fucking critiqued you and i like this NEW topic.

Xero
02-25-2012, 08:35 AM
don't take it the wrong way, its ok to be a little off topic, but I've already seen threads here that take it through at least a page, that's what i don't want here.
I know you've already given me your feedback, I was refering to others who might have some tips no one else has covered yet. sooooo...yeah!

Quik
02-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Rawgreen I don't have an asshole attribute... I am THE asshole attribute...
B|

My advice may have been misinterpreted... when I say learn basics I mean learn how to do something simple like running before trying to pull of a dash..

For example before you would ever try to animate a flip you would probably try to learn how to animate a jump first...

This anim was ok but through a little more practice it has potential to become a epic style of fighting... I wasn't trying to show off an "asshole attribute" on purpose...

Kitsune
02-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Rawgreen I don't have an asshole attribute... I am THE asshole attribute...
B|

My advice may have been misinterpreted... when I say learn basics I mean learn how to do something simple like running before trying to pull of a dash..

For example before you would ever try to animate a flip you would probably try to learn how to animate a jump first...

This anim was ok but through a little more practice it has potential to become a epic style of fighting... I wasn't trying to show off an "asshole attribute" on purpose...
Ehh, any motion can just be studied. fun fact: animating a crawl is hard as shit but thats the first thing a person learns how to do.

CrewKid
02-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Not too much of a loop but it's really not bad at all for a beginner.