PDA

View Full Version : Separate Writing Community

Nocturna
02-22-2012, 02:22 PM
It is my belief that writers are extremely underprivileged here, and for good reasons too. For starters, there aren't many of us. Secondly, this is an animation site, not a writing site. And finally, we only have a tiny section of the forums to ourselves.

I'm working on a website right now centered around writing. I could launch it independently, but I just love the good people at StickPage so I'll make you an offer.
My site can sort of be a branch off of StickPage. A partner site, for a different purpose entirely. StickPage is for animations, And my site is for writing.

Many writing communities have arisen, but none have jumped on the opportunities dangling in front of them. My site will allow users to publish their work online, receive rating and comments, have battles with other authors, and participate in massive collaborative works. We'll create worlds together!

Writers will be able to earn points by actively participating on the site, and spend them on things like audio books of their writings or illustrations of their work. This is what will set us apart, and attract tons of writers. As more and more books are being published online, beginner writers will want an online resource to get started. People will be lined up eagerly to join our site.

So what do you guys think? Should us writers get our own awesome website? Or are you happy where you are?

Excellion1498
02-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Hell yes! Just don't make it entirely seperate from Stickpage.

Ashlander
02-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Id be cool with it either way, sounds interesting. Is this the thing you were mentioning in the Merge thread?

Scarecrow
02-22-2012, 06:41 PM
>there aren't many of us
>Should us writers get our own awesome website?

no .

Sacred
02-22-2012, 06:51 PM
I endorse you to go make a community/forum dedicated to writing. But leave off the ideas of partnering with Stickpage and the whole points system. I'm sorry but I just hate the idea of forums with "points" in order to earn things. It's a community for a reason. We share things. Whether it be showing our original writings to offering help to somebody in order to make their writings more known.

It's pretty obvious that our writing community in Stickpage is pretty small. But let's be honest, people need to write a storyboard/storyline in order to create their animations (most anyway). The way I look at it, this forum is mainly based on creativity, not animations. The problem with most people is that they'd rather watch a story play out visually for them rather than read paragraphs of text and imagining it themselves. It's understandable, but at the same time very debilitating for us writers. Hence why tons of books get more publicity when they're re-created into movies.

Equinox Fox
02-22-2012, 06:52 PM
>there aren't many of us

no .

I'm gonna say that...
My section will be here soon enough, The entirety set up of the Writers lounge should be here soon!

Fusion
02-22-2012, 08:40 PM
What makes you think you deserve your own community? What if you all suck at writing?

Nikx232
02-23-2012, 12:17 AM
@Fusion: Well there will always be the maybes for things such as these. One could say, "What if there are good writers willing to teach the not so good ones? What if they get better over time? What if none of this actually happens?" Of course there'll be room for doubt, but if no one takes the first step there can be no improvement.

@Nocturna: I do say that the whole points thing should be not included, like how Sacred stated before because we are supposed to be a community. Though I like the idea of people animating our stories "IF" those people are willing to work on it of their own free will.

Anyways, yea you could set up a completely different site, but I see the animating thing happening more likely if you are actually on a site that does animations. Sure you can have some people that do small time animation and writing, but wouldn't it be smart just to stay where we are?
Anyways, I believe I've said enough.

I bid you all adieu~! *Pulls out umbrella and flies away*

Nocturna
02-23-2012, 11:37 AM
>there aren't many of us

no .

This isn't an inconsistency, Stickpage writers are meant to jumpstart a whole new community.
Just because there aren't many people to begin with doesn't mean that the community won't grow.

As for those of you who dislike the points system, I guess I see what you mean. I have some details to iron out before I do a re-pitch. Right now only half of the users agree; I wouldn't want to split a community like that so I'd need at least 80% of people on board before I do anything.

bubbles
02-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Guys for goodness sake.
http://www.fictionpress.com/

Excellion1498
03-22-2012, 04:53 PM
That website enforces this idea. For God's sake, that's a website with over a million people. An individual piece of writing would get little to no notice, and it really defeats the whole purpose of a community.

Nocturna
03-22-2012, 05:55 PM
This post will be deleted and I'll repost it once you guys are an actual community.