PDA

View Full Version : Punch Test

iStick G
04-24-2008, 02:19 PM
I was going to post this in 'Beginners, post your flash animations here' but it temporarily shut down. This is my very first attempt at a stickman animation in flash so all critisism is greatly appreciated. I'm really bad with special effects (which is what the yellow lines coming from the stickman when he hits the wall is supposed to be), so sorry about that. I've also never set the Fps to 24 before, but I see a lot of people doing that on SPP, so I figured I better try to get used to doing that.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/GX248/PunchTest.gif

Tolin
04-24-2008, 02:51 PM
It's good for a first, but:
It's very choppy, look at your first step.
The punch looks weak. Usually you beat with the arm behind your body.
Wobbly.
Resizes.
It looks like the gray stick leaps/jumps of the wall.
The gray sticks legs are weird, it looks like one of the legs are not connected to the body.
The shake/v-cam moves upwards, and not to the side.
The yellow sparks wasn't necessary.
Why did you upload it as a .gif? Upload it as a .swf (Ctrl+Enter) and host it on www.antiup.net or something like that.
Practise, and you will get better :]

Ichimaruu
04-24-2008, 02:57 PM
I was going to post this in 'Beginners, post your flash animations here' but it temporarily shut down. This is my very first attempt at a stickman animation in flash so all critisism is greatly appreciated. I'm really bad with special effects (which is what the yellow lines coming from the stickman when he hits the wall is supposed to be), so sorry about that. I've also never set the Fps to 24 before, but I see a lot of people doing that on SPP, so I figured I better try to get used to doing that.

Your very modest :D
Its good for a first, i won't go into detail because tolin already has but good job keep it up :D

TheCreator
04-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Also the leg twitches as he is punching, If you are trying to make him walk while doing it then look at sum tuts, also study with this
Link to study anim( Still working on it.)
Will edit with a better version

iStick G
04-24-2008, 06:08 PM
He wasn't supposed to be walking, no, just stepping forward.
Thanks for the critics so far, guys. :Happy:

NubbyGG
04-24-2008, 08:57 PM
The punch was really strange and the dude that crashed into the wall looked really strange

Etch
04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
24 fps isn't special, it's whatever your comfortable animating with. Don't worry about effects, movements are the key. Study easing and physics and such. Or fbf some animations. It helps.

iStick G
04-24-2008, 09:30 PM
That's good advice 0rbb, thank you. It's just, the reason I wanted to do it with 24 fps is because when I look around at the competitions going on in the SPP forums, they alway say that you need to make an animation in 24 fps, so I figured I should try to get used to using 24 fps or I wouldn't be able to enter any of the forum competitions. They do say you can do it in 12fps an double it or something, but I don't know how to do that.

the afro ninja
04-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Look through some of the official forums for more complete help. The sticks are very wobbly and the animation is really choppy. How are you animating? i.e. line, brush, or pencil.

iStick G
04-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I used to use brush to draw stickmen, but the stickmen looked weird, so i make a head using the biggest brush setting and then use pencil at thickness 12 for the rest of the body.
I made a signature too practicing with movement on how a guy gets shot in the head. what does everyone think of it? (you should know I'm not very good at spraying blood)

Etch
04-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Hmmm. Well, don't worry about competitions. They are fun, but not necessary. Just work on stuff you like. But if you want to stick with 24 fps, try it. It might be something you can work with. Study walk and run cycles. But don't worry about spp and stuff like that. Animate something that you enjoy, not the others.

iStick G
04-24-2008, 10:16 PM
You've been great help dude, thank you alot. =)
It's like 4 in the morning where I am and I have a meeting at 9 later, but when I get back from that (and probably after a little nap hehe) I'll probably work on something else that's short and post it on this thread tomorrow.
See ya'll later!:Smile:

mraznbuddy
04-24-2008, 10:36 PM
hmm I use to use pencil a long time ago.
I did like the style at first, but later on I found it harder to use than brush for 2 reasons:
1. Sometimes it straightens out to a curve leaving a jointless stick figure.
2. It sometimes glitches and makes the line too big.

But if you like using the pencil tool, I'd advise you to keep at it until you've mastered it. Remember to add some anticipation and easing in your animations. Add more frames inbetween if the stick moves too fast, and remove if they're going too slow. Just remember that 24fps is twice as fast as 12fps, so when redrawing your frames, make them closer to each other to get the same effect but smoother.

iStick G
04-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Kick test now; just trying a single kick, as advisd by 0rbb, to do something simple:
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/GX248/Kicktest.gif
the sfw:
http://www.savefile.com/files/1523244
Critics please