PDA

View Full Version : North's in-depth strategy to archer domination (Order Vs. Order)

_North
10-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Play Style
Very Aggressive, assert early game dominance, always forcing the enemy to garrison until they get castle archers

Build Order
Big Map?
Archer and Miner

Small Map?
Archer and Swordwrath

-Get control of the middle tower, and then check to see what the opponent has built
-On big maps, an archer can kill two swordwraths without taking damage
-Kite the enemy by running back and only attacking when your bow is pulled back completely
-If you've killed their defense, proceed to invade their base, focus the miners, then withdraw after a bit

Get 2 more miners, 1 for mana and 1 for gold
Get a Spearton and another Archer
Get 10 miners in total, 8 for gold and 2 for mana

-Always check the enemy base to see what they are doing, if they're building their forces then make sure you more than them
-If they have no defenses at all, feel free to slaughter a couple before retreating
-Have your offensive units hold position by the middle tower

Once you got your miners, you can focus on your army
Get as many archers and speartons as you can, focus more on archers though
Get the fire arrow, shield wall/repel, and tower spawn upgrades

-At population around 60, you can start doing full invasion
-Invade when your ghost is going in
-Also make sure to shield wall your speartons, so that they can take as much damage as they can
-Use fire arrows to catch running enemies, and to finish high priority units quickly (Allbowtross, Ninjas, Merics)

If the game is still running, get one or two giants and all the upgrades for your units.

Counters
Allbowtross
-Focus them first with your archers
Lots of merics
-If you can't get to them with your archers, consider some allbowtross or ninjas as arrows can be blocked by other units
Archer heavy
-Get a giant to block the arrows from hitting your archers
Early game swarm of swordwrath/Spearton
-Prioritize your spearton, if you cannot, get castle archers and wait for your spearton before engaging
Castle Archers
-Always make sure you have a spearton or giant because castle arrows hit multiple targets, meaning that in a sustained battle, you can lose all of your archers in an instant, it is better to retreat and garrison them for mass heal
Ninja
-Get the unit under attack to retreat, luring the ninja further to your base where your other archers can kill it before it can escape

Other Tips
-A good offense is a good defense, always keep an ample amount of soldiers ready
-Remember to garrison weak units after a battle to heal them, but keep at least one in middle lane to keep map control
-Before invading, let your merics/giants run up a bit first as they are slow and usually arrive late to a battle
-Only 2 miners can mine a rock, so 8 is all you need, any more and you sacrifice your offensive capabilities
-It is very important to get your miners as fast as you can, at the beginning of the game, while your troops are moving around the map, you can order your miners around while keeping an eye on the minimap for any alerting movement
-The maximum population is 80, so keep that in check
-If you see your troops are running thin from castle archers, consider retreating if you won't be able to destroy the nexus with a few men left over, don't underestimate swarms of miners
-Don't research the passive income early, it's way better spent on a miner
-Without castle archers, an archer and sword wrath can take out a miner before the opponent can garrison them, allowing for an easy hit and run that cripples their economy
-Micromanaging is very important, consider ordering your speartons to keep the front line away from the archers by attacking the weakest melee unit while they focus the biggest threat to your speartons
-Attacking one target versus multiple is key as it cuts down the enemy's ability to attack back, where as letting the AI choose will result in the enemy taking shared damage
-Don't let your money build up, unless you're working on a giant make sure you're always buying units as you can only spawn them so fast

Against Chaos
-I haven't played against them much, but if they stack explosive guys, send a single unit in to detonate them all

Conclusion
That's all I would like to share in this guide, do not follow this word for word and adapt to whatever situation you are in. I have yet to be defeated (Current streak is 30-40 games). Good luck and have fun!

Edits
Removed merics from build guide, they're extremely slow and usually die if you retreat, their heals aren't as useful as extra soldiers
Added counter to early game spearton (putting both their miners to mana just for a spearton) thank you JuliusGaesar
Added counter to ninja, thank you JuliusGaesar

Dracus94
10-08-2012, 08:57 PM
I've never figured out how to garrison individual units. Help? :D
If you have control of the tower, it helps to build a wall in front of your army.
I usually get a line of speartons with the shield wall ability. Then I get at least 1 line of archidons behind them, with the flame arrow (is that right?) ability. If the other player is going for the same strategy, harass them with the flame arrow ability. use your speartons to shield bash their army back. Whenever they get shield bashed, they stunned for a good bit, and your archers will chew (nomnomnom) them up.

_North
10-08-2012, 09:04 PM
I usually skimp out on defenses, focusing on pure offense, as long as you can kill their miners, their ability to fight back is significantly weakened
I have experimented with placing walls just beyond the reach of castle archers though
You can garrison a unit by click the bottom left button in the 3x3 panel
How do you use the arrow ability, I researched it and clicked it in my archer panel but they never shot anything fire related.

Dracus94
10-08-2012, 09:51 PM
When you research it and select your group of archers (Make sure it's only archers, no other units) you'll see a flaming arrow icon in the 3x3 grid. If you click it, the next shot they fire will quite a longer range and more damage. It costs 5 mana to use, though.
If you're really far away, your archers will shoot up in the air and the shot will come raining down. If you're a bit closer, they'll shoot normally.
This is kinda useful, though it's probably unintentional. If there's some units behind a wall that you want to get to, and you don't want to wait for your flaming arrow to cool down, if you shoot their wall, some of your arrows will miss and go through, hitting their units.
Same thing with giants. Really annoying.

_North
10-09-2012, 02:31 AM
yeah i noticed that happens with the wall

NorthKorean
11-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Hello guys, I - general Kim - has just new joined :)

And well, I have (nearly) never known about losing a battle (except for 2 lagged times and once the pencilbox beat me up). Nice to make friend with all of you guys.

I'm from North Korea.:p

MrSticky
11-17-2012, 03:12 PM
I've never figured out how to garrison individual units. Help? :D
If you have control of the tower, it helps to build a wall in front of your army.
I usually get a line of speartons with the shield wall ability. Then I get at least 1 line of archidons behind them, with the flame arrow (is that right?) ability. If the other player is going for the same strategy, harass them with the flame arrow ability. use your speartons to shield bash their army back. Whenever they get shield bashed, they stunned for a good bit, and your archers will chew (nomnomnom) them up.

This is why the need to make the tutorial better :(

Click on the unit you wish to garrison and I believe at the bottom right screen there is an option where you can select the unit to garrison.

It's pretty useful to giants that are almost dead (and poisoned) because you can send them to heal back and cure any effects