PDA

View Full Version : Stick Figure: The Final Battle Episode 2

Adaminator1
10-18-2012, 04:05 AM
Since this is not a flash animation but I have nowhere else to post it, I will post it here. This is done in Lightwave 3D, so, of course, I have to post it SOMEWHERE if I wanna post it at all, right? There should be a general, non-specific place to post animations made in different programs...

...ANYWAY.

Here it is! Stick Figure: The Final Battle, Episode 2. This was being worked on back when this place was called Fluidanims (I think?) and I even had a WIP progress thread for it. Well, now it's finally complete!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlyG9gINlpQ

Tell me what you guys think ^^

Adaminator1
10-19-2012, 06:20 PM
I'm gonna have to bump this because I spent an INCREDIBLE amount of time on this and I really want to hear what people think.

Skyshark
10-19-2012, 06:52 PM
I haven't gotten a chance to watch the entire thing so far, but it looks incredible. :eek:

Adaminator1
10-19-2012, 07:39 PM
I haven't gotten a chance to watch the entire thing so far, but it looks incredible. :eek:

Thanks ^^

Nobody In Particular
10-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Damn, that's fantastic. One of the best 3D stick animations I've ever seen! I enjoyed this a lot.

Slicker
10-19-2012, 11:58 PM
holy shit, this looks like it took forever to make lol. well done

TrulyEpic
10-20-2012, 01:32 AM
it's really nice; looks like you really put a lot of work to it. don't be discouraged about the views, soon more people will get to see it. keep the good job up.

eviltie
10-20-2012, 03:37 AM
Yes, I remember when you posted the first part on SFDT. I honestly didn't expect you to complete the second one, though. Now I can see that it was some serious full-length animation project. My congratulations for finishing it, you definitely put a ton of time and effort into it. Although, let me criticize some things, that, as I think, could be improved. First of all, the characters - they look more like action figures neither like stick figures according to the title. Speaking of which, as I suggested in my Part One review at SFDT, could be renamed to something less summarize able; for example, you could have used a name of the city, that was destroyed by Mr. Cooper (why hasn't it's name appeared anywhere?). About the story-telling and overall concept - surely you've got a great plot; the "parallel developing", using flashbacks and stuff are also some nice touches. But the downfall hare are the subtitles. Not only it says "..." in almost every sentence but it's also quite unreadable due to some backgrounds. I would suggest to write it in a black field on the bottom of your screen-frame next time. And try to avoid using so many "..."s - it looks irrelevant. Some moments were left unclear for me; why didn't Adrian just shoot Mr. Cooper in a leg when they were running to some spaceship? Adrian just dumbly followed him. Why did Adrian said to Kate "you're the only thing I have left", when he hardly even knew her back then? Why later in that scene, the doors have just opened by itself? Also, in flashback scenes - why the streets are completely empty? Not a single car, not a single person outside of such a mega polis. Although, the city itself was done masterfully. With deleting all the irrelevant dialogs the movie would be cut to 16-18 minutes long overall. People above have already said about the movements - adjusting easiness and spacing would help. The soundtracks usage is just marvelous; the only thing that can make it better is the constant music to movie timing synchronization.
With all that being said, I look forward to see the next episode and wish you luck.

Op34
10-20-2012, 03:49 AM
Wow dude that was great man good job :D

Adaminator1
10-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Yes, I remember when you posted the first part on SFDT. I honestly didn't expect you to complete the second one, though. Now I can see that it was some serious full-length animation project. My congratulations for finishing it, you definitely put a ton of time and effort into it. Although, let me criticize some things, that, as I think, could be improved. First of all, the characters - they look more like action figures neither like stick figures according to the title. Speaking of which, as I suggested in my Part One review at SFDT, could be renamed to something less summarize able; for example, you could have used a name of the city, that was destroyed by Mr. Cooper (why hasn't it's name appeared anywhere?). About the story-telling and overall concept - surely you've got a great plot; the "parallel developing", using flashbacks and stuff are also some nice touches. But the downfall hare are the subtitles. Not only it says "..." in almost every sentence but it's also quite unreadable due to some backgrounds. I would suggest to write it in a black field on the bottom of your screen-frame next time. And try to avoid using so many "..."s - it looks irrelevant. Some moments were left unclear for me; why didn't Adrian just shoot Mr. Cooper in a leg when they were running to some spaceship? Adrian just dumbly followed him. Why did Adrian said to Kate "you're the only thing I have left", when he hardly even knew her back then? Why later in that scene, the doors have just opened by itself? Also, in flashback scenes - why the streets are completely empty? Not a single car, not a single person outside of such a mega polis. Although, the city itself was done masterfully. With deleting all the irrelevant dialogs the movie would be cut to 16-18 minutes long overall. People above have already said about the movements - adjusting easiness and spacing would help. The soundtracks usage is just marvelous; the only thing that can make it better is the constant music to movie timing synchronization.
With all that being said, I look forward to see the next episode and wish you luck.

Thank you for the commenting and critique! I'll take it into account for Episode 3, which is already being organized on my hard drive. Now, to clarify a few things.

The "..." overusage is a trait of my writing in general. I've had a side project that a lot of people noticed it in, which I begun to take into account and attempt to downplay. What I forgot to do was to check for overusage in my video projects, as well. Thank you for pointing this out to me; it's one area where the project does drag down a lot.

The "you're the only thing I have left" was written before I finalized the city attack scene-- it was initially intended to be more elaborate, but I had to cut and change that in order for some serious workload reduction. I forgot to adapt some of the later dialog to the changes.

And, well, on why Adrian didn't shoot him in the leg? I didn't think about it at the time. So it's an admitted plot hole, though it could be hand-waived away in that Adrian was second-guessing his decisions.

The streets are completely empty in the flashback scenes because the one and only time in this episode where I tried to do a scene with a lot of figures in it, the amount overwhelmed the application and caused it to slow to a crawl and become literally impossible to work with. In order to do a large-crowd scene or a scene with a lot of people on the walkways, I'd have to find an instancing program like HD Instance and learn how to use it, and given that I'd had this project on hiatus for about 4 months, I was more concerned with getting this project finished. (In fact, I had to cut an entire scene due to this problem.)

The city itself has a bit of a history with it. There was originally a completely different cut of the episode; the only thing that stayed from that initial version was the scene with Adrian and the Ninja talking after the explosion, and the dialogue there was re-vamped. For that initial cut, I'd tried to model a city myself, but the heavy polygon count and my lack of expertise in the area (And to be honest, my complete and total frustration with the damn thing) sent me to google to find a city generator. Having dissected the model that output, however, I feel that it was worthwhile because it's taught me how to create a city of similar quality without the need to use the generator again.

Regardless, Episode 3 won't be of the scale of Episode 2. With Episode 2, I feel that I bit off a LOT more than I could chew at the time. I'm going to try and have the length be 10 minutes instead of 24, and I'm going to have to be conservative with the way I frame shots so I'm not overwhelmed with too much unnecessary animation or modelling work.

Thank you very much for commenting. And apologies, I must say; in my early SFDT days, I was a bit of a dick.

Drone
10-20-2012, 02:47 PM
The essaaaaaayyssss
anyway
good stuff

Adaminator1
10-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys, it's really appreciated ^^