PDA

View Full Version : Test: Cinematics/Effects

Xero
11-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Yeah, I was bored.
Lul
http://xero-anims.deviantart.com/art/Animation-Test-Cinematics-Effects-338891061

Mikematic
11-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Wasn't really that cinematic.. And didn't really have that many effects...
But you did only take 3 hours on it. So that's acceptable.

Xero
11-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Wasn't really that cinematic.. And didn't really have that many effects...
But you did only take 3 hours on it. So that's acceptable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinematic_techniques
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_effect

Mhmm, righhhtttt.

Mikematic
11-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Don't be a wittle butthurt mang.

I meant like Flash wise, I mean most of those "effects" were just glow and blur tweens.
And some of them weren't filtered at all.

And the Cinematic's were better, but like come on, there was like 1 or 2 angles. And then 2 other cut scenes. But as I said, that's still pretty good for only 3 hours.

And Btw Wikipedia isn't really the best place to get your sources from.

Xero
11-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Don't be a wittle butthurt mang.
wooowwwww
I meant like Flash wise, I mean most of those "effects" were just glow and blur tweens.
And some of them weren't filtered at all.
And the huge ass explosion?
You don't have to be filter dependent to make good effects

And the Cinematic's were better, but like come on, there was like 1 or 2 angles.
And then 2 other cut scenes. But as I said, that's still pretty good for only 3 hours.
Cutscenes are angles, read
And Btw Wikipedia isn't really the best place to get your sources from.
I've confirmed it with other sites, but wiki gets the point across to even 3rd graders
like I said.
mhmmm

Mikematic
11-21-2012, 12:17 AM
You're just the Devils Advocate aren't you?
Just take the critiq and get on with it, sheesh.

Xero
11-21-2012, 12:18 AM
You're just the Devils Advocate aren't you?
Just take the critiq and get on with it, sheesh.

That's not critique
I believe you should also take the time to read this
http://forums.stickpage.com/showthread.php?38318-The-Guide-to-Critiquing
Reading is good for the growing boy.

Nitroxide
11-21-2012, 12:24 AM
That's not critique

OH SNAAAAAP MIKE

Xero
11-21-2012, 12:27 AM
OH SNAAAAAP MIKE

Dude, your sig is huuuuge.

Mikematic
11-21-2012, 12:31 AM
That's not critique
Quik's Comics all of a sudden make sense.

And Btw, there's a thing called infer. I was implying that if you're gonna make a cinematic/effects thingy you should but more effort into it.

And even if you don't wan't my critiq take the dang compliment and come off of it already.

And I also remember a lil Chilean once saying this

I generally miss areas where the community can talk about without worrying about a flame war starting up from no where.

Well then stop being such a hypocrite and influencing it. I mean seriously it's like you're doing this shiz on purpose.

Xero
11-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Quik's Comics all of a sudden make sense.

And Btw, there's a thing called infer. I was implying that if you're gonna make a cinematic/effects thingy you should but more effort into it.

And even if you don't wan't my critiq take the dang compliment and come off of it already.

And I also remember a lil Chilean once saying this

Well then stop being such a hypocrite and influencing it. I mean seriously it's like you're doing this shiz on purpose.

I think not.
A flame war is a consistent argument composed of nothing but insult and opinion.
I'm stating the facts here, you did not state you inferred in your first post (Which is what makes first impressions so important).
The anim was composed entirely of cinematics and effects.
And this isn't flaming.
Let's be done with this.
Can the next poster step up?

Mikematic
11-21-2012, 12:44 AM
Wow that has to be a record you managed to accumulated a whole page targeting jeers on one user, Bravo.

But just so you know, the whole page of you lil jeers, weren't really need, all I was trying to say, was that is was good, but there was room to improve. And in my opinion there was barely that many effects or cinematics. It seems you have a problem in realizing that all people have there own mind which is filled with there own opinions. But it was good for 3 hours of work.
Understand? I Guess so. Sheesh, I guess Chilleans have that name for a reason.
YouSeeWhatIDidThere?

balistiik
11-21-2012, 12:52 AM
Wow that has to be a record you managed to accumulated a whole page targeting jeers on one user, Bravo.

But just so you know, the whole page of you lil jeers, weren't really need, all I was trying to say, was that is was good, but there was room to improve. And in my opinion there was barely that many effects or cinematics. It seems you have a problem in realizing that all people have there own mind which is filled with there own opinions. But it was good for 3 hours of work.
YouSeeWhatIDidThere?

Rather than continuing it why don't you just drop it
Each time a response comes up it ends up bad

Xero
11-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Rather than continuing it why don't you just drop it
Each time a response comes up it ends up bad

I agree.
I'm not going to bother and try to break down your wall of text yet again to prove the facts to you.
that's your school teachers job.

Leokill
11-21-2012, 01:05 AM
Yea, it's no like you said anything. Or continued to reply, and are here trying to get the last word.

but there was room to improve.
No shit. There's always room for improvement in anything anyone ever does.

So that's acceptable.
Ya, good thing it's acceptable to Mike. Boy what would we do without getting his stamp of approval.
Xero you would have been in real big trouble if it had been unacceptable.

But it was good for 3 hours of work.
YouSeeWhatIDidThere?
That's so clever.
You must have the IQ equal to the amount of C there is in H2O.

Anyway, nice work Xero. Some of it was a bit sloppy, but if it was just a test then it's to be expected.

Max Vador
11-21-2012, 07:26 AM
on point:

nice animation. this is the one big reason i never liked the stick figure, you lose the angled because they have such a non-descript body.

this was nice camera work and animation. the explosion could be cleaner compared to the rest of the animation. understandably it was done in 3 hours, but why'd you limit yourself there?
it looked very nice and i'd say go back and add to this rather than starting another random scene.

the only thing i would say to remove is where he lands, you get the light from the impact, then there's random floating particles before them boom. that half second of particles throws off the flow of the scene for me

keep at it and don't let this turkey get you down

TheSage
11-21-2012, 12:07 PM
as the title says, it's a test, meaning it won't necessarily have all the cinematics/effects in the world, and the ones you included were well done in my opinion. of course you could have worked on it more but the same applies for all animations, there's always room for more work. anyway, keep up the good work!

Xero
11-21-2012, 12:09 PM
on point:

nice animation. this is the one big reason i never liked the stick figure, you lose the angled because they have such a non-descript body.

this was nice camera work and animation. the explosion could be cleaner compared to the rest of the animation. understandably it was done in 3 hours, but why'd you limit yourself there?
it looked very nice and i'd say go back and add to this rather than starting another random scene.

the only thing i would say to remove is where he lands, you get the light from the impact, then there's random floating particles before them boom. that half second of particles throws off the flow of the scene for me

keep at it and don't let this turkey get you down

I didn't do it to limit myself to what I can make in 3 hours, this is just a result of boredom.
I wanted to see what I could make with a huge lack of inspiration and left with a burning desire to satisfy my boredom, so I didn't give much for details.
Just a sense of "Oh hey, that's pretty cool, I can see what's going on", sorta feel.
I'll take that cnc for meaningful projects like the one I'm doing atm, and thanks.
Expect more.
(I might even go back and refine this should I feel so inclined.)

jdogg
11-21-2012, 05:18 PM
If you want, I'll cnc, but I feel like you know most of what is wrong with it.

@Mike: You are arguing over what he named the animation. Why the fuck does that even matter?

Xero, if you use right-click > rewind/play instead of actual buttons one more time, I swear I will eat your babies.

Play Button

On the frame

stop();
On the button

on(release){
gotoAndPlay(2);
}

Stop Button

On the frame

stop();
On the button

on(release){
gotoAndStop(1);
}

Xero
11-21-2012, 06:05 PM
If you want, I'll cnc, but I feel like you know most of what is wrong with it.

@Mike: You are arguing over what he named the animation. Why the fuck does that even matter?

Xero, if you use right-click > rewind/play instead of actual buttons one more time, I swear I will eat your babies.

Play Button

On the frame

stop();
On the button

on(release){
gotoAndPlay(2);
}

Stop Button

On the frame

stop();
On the button

on(release){
gotoAndStop(1);
}

I know the code.
Lol
I just couldn't be bothered. :)

jdogg
11-21-2012, 06:52 PM
I guess I will emphasize this part

bl3u
11-21-2012, 09:02 PM
This is just personal opinion, but I think that this community is way too influenced by anime...

Nice anim Xero, it looks really sexy! 0w0

Drone
11-21-2012, 09:20 PM
This is just personal opinion, but I think that this community is way too influenced by anime...

Anime is really the pinnacle of professional animation and the most abundant form of it
is there an issue?
would you like us to start making disney movies brah?

SCOUNDREL
11-21-2012, 11:09 PM
PROS

- The faces make it appealing to watch and helps know how coes the character's getting without making the head huge.

- The Smoke lets us know the power and force of the fall was massive,realistic 2+

- The beam of light was creative.

CONS

- Smoke isn't one color and alpha'd,at least not on angles like that you have to show the smoke expanding then alpha.

- The Wind effects were done rather poorly, you should have make the ground crack too, easier effect to animate wind is flimsy it won't stay in a straight line especially when the force that caused it isn't focased on a direction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that's all I have keep up the cimeatics but If I were you I'd work on 2-D basic animation before trying to take a step to 3-D angles and effects.

And where is my 5 screeniees!!! I told you I'd rape you inbox if I didn't see and Full Length progress,you have brought the wrath of the God of Annoyance!!

I SMITE THEEE!

Xero
11-22-2012, 12:12 AM
PROS

- The faces make it appealing to watch and helps know how coes the character's getting without making the head huge.

- The Smoke lets us know the power and force of the fall was massive,realistic 2+

- The beam of light was creative.

CONS

- Smoke isn't one color and alpha'd,at least not on angles like that you have to show the smoke expanding then alpha.

- The Wind effects were done rather poorly, you should have make the ground crack too, easier effect to animate wind is flimsy it won't stay in a straight line especially when the force that caused it isn't focased on a direction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that's all I have keep up the cimeatics but If I were you I'd work on 2-D basic animation before trying to take a step to 3-D angles and effects.

And where is my 5 screeniees!!! I told you I'd rape you inbox if I didn't see and Full Length progress,you have brought the wrath of the God of Annoyance!!

I SMITE THEEE!

Well well, someone's finally givin proper cnc.
I iz proud of thee.
And come at mah inbox brah B1
Also about 2D *Ahem* Spin collab *ahem*

balistiik
11-22-2012, 12:20 AM

Shun the non believer -'n'-

bl3u
11-22-2012, 12:22 AM
Anime is really the pinnacle of professional animation and the most abundant form of it
is there an issue?
would you like us to start making disney movies brah?

Uh. No, I was just asking why anime was so influential on this community. Maybe we could take our shit off anime and be original... (not saying it unoriginal)

Xero
11-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Uh. No, I was just asking why anime was so influential on this community. Maybe we could take our shot off anime and be original... (not saying it unoriginal)

Anime is in a way, it's own genre of animation.
It's unoriginal because it's an anime type style? I fail to see the reasoning in this :/

Maroon
11-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Uh. No, I was just asking why anime was so influential on this community. Maybe we could take our shit off anime and be original... (not saying it unoriginal)
Translation: Hey guys, i think we should be innovative and trying new ideas to help improve the progress of the Stick Figure franchise, but I'm not saying you should leave the old ideas behind because maybe it can be of use for the future.

bl3u
11-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Anime is in a way, it's own genre of animation.
It's unoriginal because it's an anime type style? I fail to see the reasoning in this :/

I guess I just see way to many things in this community influenced by anime *shrugs* I have nothing against anime or how it influences the community. It influences me a great deal as well. But I guess its become somewhat of a norm to see every anim from people. Having some sort of relation to anime. :/

Translation: Hey guys, i think we should be innovative and trying new ideas to help improve the progress of the Stick Figure franchise, but I'm not saying you should leave the old ideas behind because maybe it can be of use for the future.

...Well... Yeah.

Xero
11-22-2012, 12:20 PM
I guess I just see way to many things in this community influenced by anime *shrugs* I have nothing against anime or how it influences the community. It influences me a great deal as well. But I guess its become somewhat of a norm to see every anim from people. Having some sort of relation to anime. :/

...Well... Yeah.

Well think about it this way.
There are dozens, if not hundreds, maybe even thousands of a "common style" SF animation, taking after hyun, terk, etc.
If you look around, anime SF animation is uncommon compared to the others.

KyZ
11-22-2012, 02:57 PM
That was intense.

Philito
11-22-2012, 04:26 PM
anime based stick figures can't look right, not the away they are now. One of the hardest an I believe more important thing to learn is composition. It depends on how you compose something that the result will vary it must be something more personal than what you see in a tv show or anime, most of the ''anime stickfigure'' I've seen is no more than the same cliche effect over and over again, it is more than just sticking some anime cliche face expressions in some scenes and then have the 80% of the animation with a blank circle for face or the same composition for every scene, is the same with everything we've been overexposed, you know what to expect and it gets boring no mather how much it seemed incredible when you saw it for the first time because it is already credible

Maroon
11-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Well think about it this way.
There are dozens, if not hundreds, maybe even thousands of a "common style" SF animation, taking after hyun, terk, etc.
If you look around, anime SF animation is uncommon compared to the others.
It's not that common, but you can't call it uncommon anymore nor original.

Royale w/ Steez
11-23-2012, 01:15 AM
It's good. But it still needs some work,
I think one of the things that bothered me was the constant blur on most effects, and the lack of detail/definition.

Take a look at Miccool's Micwizard, If you're wanting to make great effects, it's going to take a lot of time, but it'll look great.

And if you don't want to spend the time, take stock footage of smoke and other effects and do the good ol' Disney trace over it.

-R w/ S

Xero
11-23-2012, 01:18 AM
It's good. But it still needs some work,
I think one of the things that bothered me was the constant blur on most effects, and the lack of detail/definition.

Take a look at Miccool's Micwizard, If you're wanting to make great effects, it's going to take a lot of time, but it'll look great.

And if you don't want to spend the time, take stock footage of smoke and other effects and do the good ol' Disney trace over it.

-R w/ S
I'll keep in mind.
The purpose of this test was to see what I could pull off with little motivation, so the effects were crap.
Given full motivation, my animations would be 100x better.
And no, sorry pal haha. That Disney method is looked down upon here :P

Royale w/ Steez
11-23-2012, 01:23 AM
That Disney method is looked down upon here :P

Although that may be the truth, it's a rather stupid truth. That method is still used professionally, and is needed to be done in order to reach
efficiency in the animation pipeline and to have realistic quality. It was even done in Wreck it Ralph, if anyone has seen it yet, has an opening skit/film which disney animated in 3d, then traced over, and I haven't seen anything more beautiful than that.

On a side note, tracing will also improve your drawing of curves and timing - two very crucial parts of animation.

-R w/ S

Xero
11-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Although that may be the truth, it's a rather stupid truth. That method is still used professionally, and is needed to be done in order to reach
efficiency in the animation pipeline and to have realistic quality. It was even done in Wreck it Ralph, if anyone has seen it yet, has an opening skit/film which disney animated in 3d, then traced over, and I haven't seen anything more beautiful than that.

On a side note, tracing will also improve your drawing of curves and timing - two very crucial parts of animation.

-R w/ S
I agree that tracing does help to the degree of improvement, as it has helped me improve my artistic abilities, but I was referring to more as the "Tracing over another's work for your own personal gain".
There's been an incident recently that someone copied, frame for frame, another's work and passed it off as his own.
Even if It's been used by professionals, and is an extremely convenient method, my principles stand against it; as do others.
I will consider the method eventually, as that of my curiosity gets the better of me and will edge me to try it out. Nevertheless I think I;ll stick to the ol study method.

Royale w/ Steez
11-23-2012, 01:43 AM
"Tracing over another's work for your own personal gain".

Ah right I completely forgot about that (mah bad!), on the other side of that though, as long as you're not selling the work you're basically just stealing someone's creativity, which technically isn't wrong but is frowned upon. Taking a punch or a little combo I see as ok but if you're COMPLETELY ripping off someone's animation then that's just low.. /tangent

Anyways, you seem to be getting effects down more and more, I suggest you try (although it may sound silly) adding an anamorphic lens flare which is the new "hot" lens flare in every movie, it adds more depth to energy beams and most effects. Might work or might not, you never know!

-R w/ S