PDA

View Full Version : Essential Fixes to maintain user interest

MiamiBigAL
11-27-2012, 06:30 PM
I think this game can only thrive if we keep players' interest and increase the player base. Just some random ad hoc ideas for doing that:

1. Lobby chat. This has been said before but it is a huge must. We don't have much of a community feel on just these forums. There are a lot of people who could benefit from a lobby chat and experienced players giving newbies tips and advice.

2. Concentrate on gameplay over graphics until the lag issues are sorted. I would rather play with monochrome units and no lag than pieces of art doing the robot. The auto-resizing was a bit of a disaster, but auto-quality control would actually be reasonable I think.

3. Implement more varied, viable and balanced opening strats. I would even suggest having 4 miners to start rather than 2. The problem with the start is that every unit is so incredibly valuable that losing one usually means the game has ended before it has even begun.

for example, if both order players open with miner/miner/swordrath, and by a flip of the coin one swordrath is beating the other, the tower income won translates to about a 33% boost to resource income. If a swordrath also happens to die, we are talking about an overall resource advantage of about 66% as the other side now has to replace his swordrath at the opportunity cost of a miner. Having the opponent 66% ahead economically b/c you happened to lose one unit at the beginning does not make for an exciting game, nor a possible comeback unless there is a huge imbalance in skill.

More miners lead to more possibilities early game. It also means the impact to your economy of losing a unit is dramatically reduced, which I calculate to be approximately 25% disadvantaged, but at least it's not the ridiculous 66% advantage it is right now. If you happen to save your swordrath in the 4-miner situation when you know your'e losing the battle, you are sitting at about a 15% disadvantage, which is much more salvable.

Don't get me started on a swordrath/archer opening going wrong. That is more like a 75% resource lead if your archer happens to go kaput. This is pretty much the same lead you would have if you happened to kill one miner in the beginning.

TheFighterz
11-27-2012, 07:51 PM
I think the middle tower simply should either give only 10 gold, or give 30 and completely remove the tower spawn or increase the delay time. It's useful for pressure, but it's a little too fast.

Tecness2
11-27-2012, 08:05 PM
1: Not entirely needed, but would be nice. First let them fix the chatbox to perfection.
2: They are concentrating mainly on optimization at the moment I believe. Also, this point is contradictory in itself. While lag may hinder one's performance it does not excruciatingly affect game-play.
3: I agree a bit, maybe 4 is a bit too much. How about 3?

RUMMAKER
11-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Agrees on all points.

But instead of increasing miner to 4 I think a better choice is increasing starting gold to 900

RUMMAKER
11-29-2012, 05:08 PM
w8 no waht am i saying, 3 miners , 900 gold will just make things worse