PDA

View Full Version : How to beat Giant/Meric Strategies?

3FFA
12-28-2012, 09:18 AM
I started playing yesterday and using my experience from the first game along with prior Real Time Strategy(RTS) game experience I was quickly able to transition to the new units. I've gotten a hold on the early game and a shaky hold on middle game but some strategies in which I get control of the tower easily only to be faced with an army of 3-5 giants and 2-5 merics has left me for dead. I tried playing my own variation of the strategy to see what an opponent would do to counter it but found that when I hid the units in my garrison until I was ready to attack(defending against raids with 2-4 swords/archers) the opponent was unable to counter the sudden burst of giants and merics. So, now I'm wondering, how do you beat this type of strategy?!? :confused:

Note: Talking about Order vs Order here.

DragonFrost
12-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Uhhh maybe a few suicide ninjas to kill the Merics? And mass speartons and albows, maybe add a giants or too. Idk if that works, just a theory.

3FFA
12-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Uhhh maybe a few suicide ninjas to kill the Merics? And mass speartons and albows, maybe add a giants or too. Idk if that works, just a theory.

I've tried that sort of thing. Never managed to get it to work. :(

KrayZStick
12-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Magikills.

Triss
12-28-2012, 11:08 AM
*Giants+Magikills

3FFA
12-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Ok, so just shoot the balls of fiya at the enemy giants? I've really failed at using Magikill so far so any advice on the basic use of them would be helpful. I generally end up shooting 1-2 fireballs then ending up with a dead Magikill and it has lead me to the belief that they aren't worth the money unless the opponent just stands in one spot doing nothing :/

Triss
12-28-2012, 11:41 AM
1. Let the giants control themselves(auto aim)
2. Focus your control on your magikills, not other units.

uberman
12-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Ok, so just shoot the balls of fiya at the enemy giants? I've really failed at using Magikill so far so any advice on the basic use of them would be helpful. I generally end up shooting 1-2 fireballs then ending up with a dead Magikill and it has lead me to the belief that they aren't worth the money unless the opponent just stands in one spot doing nothing :/

Against giants (which was your question) magikill are great because the situation is normally a line of giants hurling rocks at your forces - as long as you have a stationary target (say a giant or two) they dont move - put an electric wall where they stand and your hitting them all. If they stay still to keep up the fire on you, they are hurt by electric, if they move off the electric wall to avoid it, your giants are still throwing, his are slowly lumbering about so taking rocks to the head without returning fire. He has a choice of two very bad options. If he moves and attacks again, the second magikill puts a wall wher they now are - rinse and repeat.

If he moves from the wall then attacks with 1 giant infront (tanking) and the rest behind it, you electric wall the group and focus fire of other units on at the front one.

While thats going on, add poison spray from the second magikill, and keep refreshing it. Poison wont kill the giants very quick, but it hurts all his giants and a meric who's curing poison is a meric whos not healing a giant - good for you and bad for him.

Notes;
your magikill must remain behind a giant at all times - this makes him safe from the other guys giants - the giants simply cant hurl past the front line of giants, and archers simply cant fire past the giant 'meat shield'.

You need to watch for smaller units, like speartons etc walking forward of the giants to attack your mage - if this happens I suggest you manually target them with giants or what ever else you have got and dont forget to poison spray them.

You should have merics to heal, obviously.

Less obviously, you may find some spears a helpfull tool too - if a group of units comes infront of the giants front line, to kill your magikill, assume he makes it through the gap between giants, you pull your mage backwards (SLOWLY I know) but attack these wounded and poisoned units with your group of speartons as your mage retreats. He has poisoned and wounded units, you have healthy units because you are behind the giants and cant get hit. This makes it much easier to keep the mages alive.

The giants, spear, meric and mage set up is far stronger than giants alone, I think.

Put it from another side; I normally play chaos now, and if faced by a group of giants, merics, speartons and a mage - you can bet that the mage will be the first target for my medusa's petrify attack if I can get him - simply because he's the most threatening unit the enemy has.

Also, as a side, never underestimate the power of a mage for taking down the statue quickly. Put electric wall right over it, great damage to statue and any re-inforcements he spawns have to go through the wall to attack you. Hit it with blast while your waiting and its a great stylish finish :)
I dont know if two walls can stack on one statue, or if you should wait for the first to end before applying the second (assuming you have two mages).

Bladed Fire
12-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Against giants (which was your question) magikill are great because the situation is normally a line of giants hurling rocks at your forces - as long as you have a stationary target (say a giant or two) they dont move - put an electric wall where they stand and your hitting them all. If they stay still to keep up the fire on you, they are hurt by electric, if they move off the electric wall to avoid it, your giants are still throwing, his are slowly lumbering about so taking rocks to the head without returning fire. He has a choice of two very bad options. If he moves and attacks again, the second magikill puts a wall wher they now are - rinse and repeat.

If he moves from the wall then attacks with 1 giant infront (tanking) and the rest behind it, you electric wall the group and focus fire of other units on at the front one.

While thats going on, add poison spray from the second magikill, and keep refreshing it. Poison wont kill the giants very quick, but it hurts all his giants and a meric who's curing poison is a meric whos not healing a giant - good for you and bad for him.

Notes;
your magikill must remain behind a giant at all times - this makes him safe from the other guys giants - the giants simply cant hurl past the front line of giants, and archers simply cant fire past the giant 'meat shield'.

You need to watch for smaller units, like speartons etc walking forward of the giants to attack your mage - if this happens I suggest you manually target them with giants or what ever else you have got and dont forget to poison spray them.

Less obviously, you may find some spears a helpfull tool too - if a group of units comes infront of the giants front line, to kill your magikill, assume he makes it through the gap between giants, you pull your mage backwards (SLOWLY I know) but attack these wounded and poisoned units with your group of speartons as your mage retreats. He has poisoned and wounded units, you have healthy units because you are behind the giants and cant get hit. This makes it much easier to keep the mages alive.

The giants, spear, meric and mage set up is far stronger than giants alone, I think.

Put it from another side; I normally play chaos now, and if faced by a group of giants, merics, speartons and a mage - you can bet that the mage will be the first target for my medusa's petrify attack if I can get him - simply because he's the most threatening unit the enemy has.

Should've remove the effects of petrify to Magikill.

uberman
12-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Should've remove the effects of petrify to Magikill.

Nah, just keep your mage back until the medusa uses her petrify, then squash her. Heavy rocks or sharp spears work well for that part.
Its kind of hard to miss the petrify spell effect going off and its a slow refresh.

If she wont waste her petrify on a spearton for example, let a meric go forward - normally a little too tempting for her to miss the chance to take out a healer. But then she's open to attack and should be dead very soon. You swapped a single healer for a medusa if she gets a healer and then you kill her, thats massively in your favour.

Bladed Fire
12-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Nah, just keep your mage back until the medusa uses her petrify, then squash her. Heavy rocks or sharp spears work well for that part.
Its kind of hard to miss the petrify spell effect going off and its a slow refresh.

If she wont waste her petrify on a spearton for example, let a meric go forward - normally a little too tempting for her to miss the chance to take out a healer. But then she's open to attack and should be dead very soon. You swapped a single healer for a medusa if she gets a healer and then you kill her, thats massively in your favour.
Not even thinking about it, but if this Medusa comes out in the battlefield, she'll be pwn*d by my line of Speartons.

3FFA
12-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Ok, then here is another question:
Does the Magikill's wall stack?
If I poison two times one after another on the same spot, will it be smart enough to poison unpoisoned units instead of already poisoned ones?

PsychoticCheez
12-30-2012, 08:54 AM
The Magikill's electric wall DOES stack.

I don't know about your second question

DarknessLight
01-06-2013, 06:14 PM

Notes;

Also, as a side, never underestimate the power of a mage for taking down the statue quickly. Put electric wall right over it, great damage to statue and any re-inforcements he spawns have to go through the wall to attack you. Hit it with blast while your waiting and its a great stylish finish :)
I dont know if two walls can stack on one statue, or if you should wait for the first to end before applying the second (assuming you have two mages).

I read 3 words of this before I stopped reading. :D

DragonFrost
01-06-2013, 07:48 PM
TELL ME WHY YOU KEEP QUOTING THE OP

uberman
01-08-2013, 05:59 AM
I read 3 words of this before I stopped reading. :D

My sincere condolences on your condition.
I am afraid I seldom write for people whose attention span prevents them reading a whole sentence, never mind a paragraph.

LonelySolitude
01-08-2013, 01:41 PM
My sincere condolences on your condition.
I am afraid I seldom write for people whose attention span prevents them reading a whole sentence, never mind a paragraph.

:( I read an encyclopedia for my book report because I forgot to read the directions for a Fictional book on a report. I got a B and wasted my time. But that was 5th grade, I really don't care about that because its not like it counts for a GPA or anything...

300noob
01-12-2013, 09:37 AM
need to have giant limit on battle field or giant pop increase to 10

tygor123
01-12-2013, 02:24 PM
If your opponent has one or two giants, magikill with speartons can do the trick. However, if your opponent is massing giants, then you'll have to resort to trying to run past all your opponent's defenses and attacking only the statue. You won't be able to kill five giants with more on the way and be able to effectively rebuild. Scout the opponent's castle with a swordwrath. If he doesn't have any units in front of his statue, he either has not made any or is garrisoning them in his castle to hide them from your sight. Either way, your opponent is probably building up giants. From here, build up two or more lines of speartons. Once this is done, command all your speartons to attack the opponent's tower. The giants of your opponents will stun as many speartons as their amount, and kill maybe a few, but they'll only put a dent in your army. You should be able to destroy the statue with 8+ speartons, even if it does have resilience.

If your opponent has walls in front of the statue, command your speartons to attack those first. As in, manually right click on the walls. This is because your units will run into the wall if you right clicked on the statue first, or they will deviate and attack units in front of the wall if you just clicked the attack option.

A desperate attack by miners shouldn't be a stopping force for your army. Magikill with electric wall in conjunction with 3 castle archers will. If this is the case, kill the magikill first. If he has set up an electric wall, attack the statue from the side the wall isn't on. The archers should really only be able to bring your speartons to low health at that point. Consider bringing along a meric, though those will die easily amidst boulders and arrows.

The greatest counter to this counter is an intelligent opponent commanding his miners to continuously build walls in front of his statue as you destroy them. You can't target a wall as it's being built in the first second, so your speartons will deviate, probably. You can attack the miner, however, and from there, destroy the low health wall. No matter what, though, this play by your opponent will put more time in your speartons to get battered, and possibly end up having your attack fail.

ShadowyWhisper
01-13-2013, 05:25 PM
If your opponent has one or two giants, magikill with speartons can do the trick. However, if your opponent is massing giants, then you'll have to resort to trying to run past all your opponent's defenses and attacking only the statue. You won't be able to kill five giants with more on the way and be able to effectively rebuild. Scout the opponent's castle with a swordwrath. If he doesn't have any units in front of his statue, he either has not made any or is garrisoning them in his castle to hide them from your sight. Either way, your opponent is probably building up giants. From here, build up two or more lines of speartons. Once this is done, command all your speartons to attack the opponent's tower. The giants of your opponents will stun as many speartons as their amount, and kill maybe a few, but they'll only put a dent in your army. You should be able to destroy the statue with 8+ speartons, even if it does have resilience.

If your opponent has walls in front of the statue, command your speartons to attack those first. As in, manually right click on the walls. This is because your units will run into the wall if you right clicked on the statue first, or they will deviate and attack units in front of the wall if you just clicked the attack option.

A desperate attack by miners shouldn't be a stopping force for your army. Magikill with electric wall in conjunction with 3 castle archers will. If this is the case, kill the magikill first. If he has set up an electric wall, attack the statue from the side the wall isn't on. The archers should really only be able to bring your speartons to low health at that point. Consider bringing along a meric, though those will die easily amidst boulders and arrows.

The greatest counter to this counter is an intelligent opponent commanding his miners to continuously build walls in front of his statue as you destroy them. You can't target a wall as it's being built in the first second, so your speartons will deviate, probably. You can attack the miner, however, and from there, destroy the low health wall. No matter what, though, this play by your opponent will put more time in your speartons to get battered, and possibly end up having your attack fail.

I'll repeat the strategy I used when Giant Spamming and dealing with Spearton statue rush.

6 Giants in center with Tower Spawn II

Now what I'm saying next is does take a long time to make, but if you see them attacking all you have to do is press defend quickly. You should have at least 2 walls by then

2 Miner Walls

3 Castle Archers

As many SwordWrath as you can get with Rage. Kill your miners if you have to.

So basically, I feigned an attack with Giants, pressured my opponent to come attack my statue. SwordWrath with Rage + Castle Archers, 15 Spearton dead in 7 seconds. They didn't even get to destroy the 2nd Miner Wall yet.

dracojex
01-29-2013, 11:16 AM
The best way to stop giant massers is to cut the source. You have to focus on early warfare and try to choke their economy so you can still build yours but at the same time harass theirs. Then overwhelm them before they can create giants because giants take forever to make.