PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in a cast.

Rather Cheesy
05-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Well, a couple days ago I dislocated my knee cap, I've been sitting on the couch propped up with ice on it until this morning [it swelled larger than a grapefruit, I have pics to prove, but I'm to lazy to upload]. When I went to the doctor to have it checked out, he sucked out all the liquid in the knee with a syringe [about a pint of blood, and the swelling had gone down alot by then >_<] and told me to wear a "knee immobilizer" which is basically a cast for 6 weeks to prevent it from happening again.

Well, now I'm stuck in my house with a pair of crutches to get around and no one to help me out [the rest of my family is almost always at work]. But now I'm finding out just how much I use my left leg. For example: I can't move a plate from the kitchen to the table when I'm using crutches because I need both hands to move anywhere. Anyone else been in a situation like this? If so what tricks did you use in order to do stuff like this?

Right now the only solution I've come up with for moving stuff has been: using a rolling office chair as a wheel chair and carrying things like plates in my lap. but this takes so ****ing long and I don't want to be doing it for 6 weeks. >_>

aquamina
05-21-2008, 06:45 PM
LoL I did the office chair thing for moving stuff when i was on crutches a few weeks back.

it makes me so ****ing thankful i only had them for a week.

General Douchington
05-21-2008, 06:54 PM
That sucks. Good luck in the office chair. YOU MUST GO EVERYWHERE IN IT

Rather Cheesy
05-21-2008, 08:23 PM
LoL I did the office chair thing for moving stuff when i was on crutches a few weeks back.

it makes me so ****ing thankful i only had them for a week.
yeah, I got it for 6 weeks. Possibly more. I go in for an MRI on my leg on Friday [got Xray'd today] , and the doctor will then tell me how I should change what I'm doing or if I should continue how I'm going.

That sucks. Good luck in the office chair. YOU MUST GO EVERYWHERE IN IT
Lol, it was REALLY funny to watch me get around before I got the crutches from my friend. I went to the doctors office on Monday [this was before I was sent to get the "cast"] and I had to one foot hobble my way through the office, with a knee the size of a large grapefruit. I got all the nurses laughing at me when I tried to stand on the scale so they can weigh me... >_>
EDIT: It was a kid and teens pediatricians, so the nurses were used to mostly seeing 8 year olds with the flu, so seeing a 16 year old teen hobble his way through their office with a bad knee is kinda funny and out of place.

I found another solution that helps a little but not much, carrying a small backpack, that way I can carry things like drinks in bottles. But it still doesn't resolve moving things like plates or bowls, that can spill. The chair doesn't work good on it either, because the way my house is laid out, I have to use my good leg to propel myself, making the plate/bowl I'm caring in my lap spill everywhere >_<

Covalence
05-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Are you out of school for a while?

Rather Cheesy
05-21-2008, 08:39 PM
1. I'm home schooled so it doesn't matter.
2. Summer vacation started a week ago for me
3. ???
4 fuck it this meme's not funny anymore

Guest.
05-21-2008, 08:42 PM
I love the saw they use to cut it off. And the sensation when they finally do cut off a cast is pretty cool.

It's like all yellow and moldy.

Rather Cheesy
05-21-2008, 09:41 PM
do you have any friends even though you are home schooled?

and are you a dumbass?
I have several friends, most of which were homeschooled as well when I first met them. And I am defiantly NOT a dumbass because I'm actually going to a real school next semester, and taking some of the course as free collage courses because theres a "collegiate high school" at my local collage, where if you're smart enough they let you take collage and high school courses for free in your senior and junior year.

I love the saw they use to cut it off. And the sensation when they finally do cut off a cast is pretty cool.

It's like all yellow and moldy.
It not a cast like that, it is cast like but not a cast. I can take it off at any time, like when I need to get a shower or something. Its basically a pad with metal rods in it that you can wrap around your leg so you don't bend your leg. It has an opening around the knee so the muscles around the kneecap can kind of stay loose and heal. I'll try to get a photo of it uploaded, I'm horrible at describing things... >_>

EDIT: Heres a couple pics;

The day after I dislocated it, before getting the cast. the swelling has gone down.
[B]FRONTVIEW
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll114/rather_cheesy/IMG_0002.jpg
SIDEVIEW
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll114/rather_cheesy/IMG_0003.jpg

Heres the "cast" I got this morning. Well, technically its called a "knee immobilizer" but it does the same thing a cast does...
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll114/rather_cheesy/IMG_0008.jpg

EDIT2: Sorry I couldn't get a better shot of the "cast" , I took it myself through a mirror while standing up on crutches... >_>

Vervanda
05-21-2008, 10:14 PM
nice legs rc *wink

Epic
05-21-2008, 10:28 PM
mmm yummy

but sexuality aside, that looks pretty painful. good luck.

Rather Cheesy
05-21-2008, 10:47 PM
nice legs rc *wink
; ]

mmm yummy

but sexuality aside, that looks pretty painful. good luck.
Yeah, I'm not in much pain since the doctor drained it. [sucked out the blood that was the swelling.] But it hurt like HELL when it happened...

Kitsune
05-22-2008, 12:01 AM
; ]But it hurt like HELL when it happened...

GOOD!

lol

But seriously, get better, or else next time it swells, I'll bite it and drink the puss and blood out.

Sorry, I've been animating Castlevania. =/

Rather Cheesy
05-22-2008, 12:20 AM
hmmmm, I wonder what the doctor did with my blood... >_>

Kitsune
05-22-2008, 12:21 AM
hmmmm, I wonder what the doctor did with my blood... >_>

Tested for Knee-Aids.

Rather Cheesy
05-22-2008, 12:34 AM
oh Sh-

Upps
05-22-2008, 12:40 AM
you have three office chairs, ...?

once I had my leg ****ed but it didn't need any cast, but hurts when something comes near it. We had wooden floor which was slippery, so I got on my stomach and started sliding around the hous, my mom didn't mind cause it helps clean the floor. How ever the stairs were my archest enemy so I lived down stairs for a week.

I'm not sure but my friend gave me the idea to get one of my girl-friends [just friends] and told me that some girls like handicaped guys... but I didn't do anything like that, maybe you could get some to take care of you. ;)

get well

Cicada
05-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Practice walking as much as you can and find ways to trick around with your crutches.

stickpagefan51
05-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Sucks, Hope you get better soon. BTW that's a knee brace dude.

-Hawk-
05-22-2008, 02:22 AM
dammit RC that's nasty (worried). Well... let's see the good side of things : at least you have more time to animate now don't you ? :P

About your problem moving things around the house, I think someone should help you with that. That would be the easiest. Don't you have grandparents that could come and stay with you for those 6 weeks ? I guess that would pretty much help.

If not, you could try and carry things like soup and foods like that in covered up plates, like get some plastic foil and cover up the plate well then time the foil on the plate so it doesn't fall off.

Or you can use casseroles for that.

Hope I helped.

zymn
05-22-2008, 02:23 AM
nee-hah-hah-hah.

i have hairier legs than joo!!! and i bet thats not the only hairier thing i have. lol.

anyways, sucks to be you.

SSOutPhase
05-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Damn RC...that looks...ouch... Dx

But anyway, I'm surprised nobody's asked you this yet but, how did you dislocate your knee in the first place?

Lixu
05-22-2008, 11:52 AM
This might help you:
I think you see one of your parents in the morning.
Ask them to make you some sandwiches, and a few glasses of water, or whatever you drink.
Then ask them to place them on a board, and lay it down near your computer.
Get your cellphone/mobile phone, and place it next to your computer.

I hope this helps,
good luck on regenerating.

Oh, and if you want to know what they do with your blood, sucked:
They send it to the lab, indeed a check-up for aids, or any other desease. 1 Profit: You won't need to get blood sucked for a year or two.

the_hero
05-22-2008, 01:07 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa... HAHAHAHHA... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

My mate dislocated his knee a few months back. He did loads of shit with the knee-brace on. He'd even skate with it on.
****ing idiot.

I too, am home tutored. I wonder why it's stereotyped as stupid people getting it. I'm working a year ahead of the average 15 year-old.

Anyway,
You'll get used to the crutches and be able to use one, leaving a free hand.
Just use the crutches alot.

Chimaera
05-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Become a Dalek.

Rather Cheesy
05-22-2008, 04:08 PM
you have three office chairs, ...?

once I had my leg ****ed but it didn't need any cast, but hurts when something comes near it. We had wooden floor which was slippery, so I got on my stomach and started sliding around the hous, my mom didn't mind cause it helps clean the floor. How ever the stairs were my archest enemy so I lived down stairs for a week.

I'm not sure but my friend gave me the idea to get one of my girl-friends [just friends] and told me that some girls like handicaped guys... but I didn't do anything like that, maybe you could get some to take care of you. ;)

get well
6 chairs actually [only 3 in the camera shot], my dad goes nuts over computers, even older ones, so out house become like a dumbing ground for office supplies. like we have a total of 7 working computers, but most of them are crappy.

The sliding thing sounds like it might work, but my house has mostly carpet. and I don't think I could carry things while sliding... >_>

Practice walking as much as you can and find ways to trick around with your crutches.
Yeah, I can sort of walk, but its slower than anything else I could use... >_>

Sucks, Hope you get better soon. BTW that's a knee brace dude.
the doctor called it a "knee immobilizer" but it does the same thing as a cast [keeping your leg in a single position] so I call it one, its better than saying "knee immobilizer" all the time >_>

dammit RC that's nasty (worried). Well... let's see the good side of things : at least you have more time to animate now don't you ? :P

About your problem moving things around the house, I think someone should help you with that. That would be the easiest. Don't you have grandparents that could come and stay with you for those 6 weeks ? I guess that would pretty much help.

If not, you could try and carry things like soup and foods like that in covered up plates, like get some plastic foil and cover up the plate well then time the foil on the plate so it doesn't fall off.

Or you can use casseroles for that.

Hope I helped.
Would you seriously want your grand parents around the house for 6 weeks? Besides, I don't want to be a hassle. I've seen the frustration that come from trying to carry things for me >_>

The covered dishes is a grat idea though. ^_^

Damn RC...that looks...ouch... Dx

But anyway, I'm surprised nobody's asked you this yet but, how did you dislocate your knee in the first place?
<_< >_>
Kayak shuck put. [its the game where you throw the medicine ball, only we were using kayaks.] One of my friends enjoys doing stupid stuff like this, its fun mos of the time though. [like one time we had one of us wear a blind fold and run in a straight line, while somewhere down the line was a trip cord. It was ****ing hilarous.] My other friend was chasing me down and was going to throw a kayak at me, and I did a small hop to avoid a standing sprinkler in the front yard while running away, and my knee cap dislocated.

This might help you:
I think you see one of your parents in the morning.
Ask them to make you some sandwiches, and a few glasses of water, or whatever you drink.
Then ask them to place them on a board, and lay it down near your computer.
Get your cellphone/mobile phone, and place it next to your computer.
I have a phone next to my computer already, but I don't see my parents in the morning usually, and lunch and dinner is a more of a "whatever is in the fridge, or whatever yo decide to cook.
I hope this helps,
good luck on regenerating.

Oh, and if you want to know what they do with your blood, sucked:
They send it to the lab, indeed a check-up for aids, or any other desease. 1 Profit: You won't need to get blood sucked for a year or two.
Yeah but this blood had a white tint to it... I don't think they could do a accurate AIDs test on it... >_>
Bold

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa... HAHAHAHHA... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

My mate dislocated his knee a few months back. He did loads of shit with the knee-brace on. He'd even skate with it on.
****ing idiot.
Yeah, I can't bend my knee in the "cast" so I couldn't do that... I can stand if most of my weight is on my good foot. But thats about it for now. I'm sure in a weel or s I'll be able to do some more...
I too, am home tutored. I wonder why it's stereotyped as stupid people getting it. I'm working a year ahead of the average 15 year-old.
Home Tutored or Homes chooled, theres a difference. Home tutored implies you go to a real school but you get a tutor at home. Home schooled it doing all your school course in your house, usually taught by your parents. [who are using textbooks]
Anyway,
You'll get used to the crutches and be able to use one, leaving a free hand.
Just use the crutches alot.
I hope so, because the crutches are killing me, I woke up this morning and my arms were sore [I went all over town in them yesterday... >_>
bold

Become a Dalek.
BEST IDEA EVER