PDA

View Full Version : The True Potential of Stick Wars And Micro/Macro Management. (Replay included)

xvdaemonicxv
01-13-2013, 12:27 PM
The succesful evolution of gameplay and teching to higher tierd units:

Now this replay only shows the swordwrath+archer aspect of the SE game. But it shows how much skill can be involved with micro with just archer and swords. If we were both playing at a close skill level, our economy wouldve grown to a point where we can afford higher tier units without sacrificing miner production.

To simply and I repeat, this is simplified, making one spearton+miner is better than making one sword+miner. If you can afford the spearton, why get the sword? Now as I said that is simplified, ofc you have to consider saving money for other units of the same/different tier and different tree, or save money for research such as miner hustle and etc.

But to simplify things once again: If both players were playing at the close to the same skill level, both players economy would grow to the point where lower tierd units arent as useful.

In the replay however, my skill was slightly higher and he was eventually forced to turtle up after a long battle. Notice how he spent 900 gold on speartons? He sacrificed his miner production for this so towards the end of the game, youll see I suddenly have a lot more miners. If he saved all his swords and microed better, those 2 speartons wudve done much greater damage to me. And even though he set himself economically behind some, his army would beat mine and he wud have tower control and I would lose.

Anyways, I beat him early game so I could get my giant out and secure my win. Yes, I could've built more speartons and not giant mass but that is disccued here: http://forums.stickpage.com/showthread.php?49403-I-am-was-rank-1-I-know-what-I-m-talking-about-Read-this-Giant-Spamming

Two reasons why you lose/win: Macro and Micro

MACRO:

Your Macro gameplay is how you decide to spend your money. It is split between research/army units/miners.

Losing due to army production. Most players lose because they start making the next tier units to early and lose miner production. You may have the advantage for a little bit, but your opponent will have the economy to counter. Remeber the longer a game drags on, the more important an economic lead is.

Example: -Spearton Rushing. 3 swords kill a spear. I can make miners and swords while you just make one spearton. By the time your spearton gets to my base, I kill him with 3 swords, at best you flee. But I have more miners than you and as the game drags on, my economy will eventually give me the win.

Losing due to miner production. Most players also lose because they make to many miners and have an inferior army and loses tower control. This one is a lot more common.

Example: -You start to turtle, you spend your economic advantage on castle archers or walls because your army sucks. You just lost that economic advantage and your opponent has tower gold+scouting information on you+he can mass miners himself now. Don't forget your castle archers can't protect your second row of gold miners from ranged units. This can lead you to making a last stand against an army of giants. I mean afterall, you deserved it in thinking turtling up will save you.

Losing due to research. Spending resources on research means less resources on army units or miners. Figuring out the right timing for research is difficult. You must assess the situation at hand. Your army vs. his army. His economy vs. your economy.

Example: You research ghost early and while you spend 600 gold and 200 mana and wait for your research to kick in, the enemy makes army units with his money and overtakes the tower area. You just lost tower and 600 gold and 200 mana. Oh and you lost the game too.

MICRO:

Your micro gameplay is how you control your army units. My replay is full of micro and when used correctly, gives you the win.

Here are some examples of micro and how you can lose when you don't have enough micro:

Letting your archer take continuous hits from swordraths and not kiting.
Not positioning your swordwrath to block enemy arrows and letting your archer take the arrows(they take more damage).
Not saving and garrisoning damaged units.
Not attacking when you have the army advantage but not the economic advantage.
Not reinforcing your army that is in battle because you left them to sit on your doorstep. By the time they get there it may be to late.
Letting your clerics move too far forward(use the H key).
Letting one giant take all the damage and then dying when another giant can move forward and block all projectiles.
Etc.

The list goes on and on but you get the idea. There is a lot of micro to be done in any given match.

When you have macro and micro perfected(if even humanely possible... its not.) you will rule the universe(stick empires)

I can't think of anything else so yea. Toodles~

*Replay has been deleted due to it being outdated and no longer compatible

PsychoticCheez
01-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Does the code work for anyone? It doesn't seem to for me. Yes, I have gotten rid of the space at the end. I tried it both with and without.

3FFA
01-13-2013, 01:16 PM
It works for me.

PsychoticCheez
01-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Nah, I get what happens. What I was doing wrong was clearing everything in the text box BEFORE I pasted. There's supposed to be a one line gap at the top of the screen, which is inputted automatically. When you clear the whole box, you get rid of that line and the code doesn't work.

You can see this when you pull the "View reply" box up. The little blinking line isn't at the very top.

DragonFrost
01-13-2013, 02:09 PM
OH! Maybe that's why it doesnt work for me?

xvdaemonicxv
01-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Nah, I get what happens. What I was doing wrong was clearing everything in the text box BEFORE I pasted. There's supposed to be a one line gap at the top of the screen, which is inputted automatically. When you clear the whole box, you get rid of that line and the code doesn't work.

You can see this when you pull the "View reply" box up. The little blinking line isn't at the very top.

Really?? I'll put that in the OP. THanks man :)

KrayZStick
01-13-2013, 02:15 PM
What are you guys talking about? I have no troubles except for the bug, I just copy all of the code that's behind the (Space) : and then i paste it and add a Space and : at end!

DragonFrost
01-13-2013, 02:26 PM
For daemons, i copy it, paste it, and then add a space to watch it. For KrayZStick's (which isnt on forums), i just copied and then pasted it, and i could watch. For mine, no matter what i did, it wouldnt work.

PsychoticCheez
01-13-2013, 02:29 PM
OH! Maybe that's why it doesnt work for me?

Well, it seemed to do the trick for me!

WyzDM
01-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Was a great example for all the points you made.

He had awful micro skills though.

xvdaemonicxv
01-13-2013, 08:46 PM
True. But still, DID U SEE HOW MANNY 1HP UNITED I SAVED AND MY ARMY SPLITS TO KILL HIS UNITS? :D

DragonFrost
01-14-2013, 07:04 AM
Nope :D I still haven't rewatched it lol

3FFA
01-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Lazy Garrisoned Fr0st! > : O

uberman
01-14-2013, 08:07 AM
You might need to backspace the bottom of the code once you paste it into the replay box. There should be no empty space at the very bottom of the code

this is what made it work for me. Never managed to get a replay working before that :)

_Ai_
01-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Hey Uberman, get on chat? :3

stickman311
01-14-2013, 10:52 PM
it needs a survey.lol daemonic you wanna earn money for watching a video

3FFA
01-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Before it didn't. Thats effed. Also, that isn't owned by daemonic at all. It was a random tool found on the internet that he used cause it works in China.

xvdaemonicxv
01-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Ahh yea, thanks 3ffa. Didn't realize this until someone told me the same thing again today. But yea, the survey is blocked here in China, so each time I go to the website I can get the coding fine. But for you guys some survey ad things pops up I guess. I'll try and find another tool to use since pastebin is blocked here :l

DragonFrost
01-16-2013, 09:55 AM
I didn't get a survey, and I'm in Canada lol Canada FTW

PsychoticCheez
01-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Paste it in a spoiler? Or perhaps there's a character limit on the posts ...but hey, if it isn't, here's an idea!

xvdaemonicxv
01-16-2013, 11:11 AM
I didn't get a survey, and I'm in Canada lol Canada FTW

LOL. CANADA.

Paste it in a spoiler? Or perhaps there's a character limit on the posts ...but hey, if it isn't, here's an idea!

how do i post it as a spoiler? :o And i'll be back in the U.S. and I'll be able to access pastebin then so its alrite :)

DragonFrost
01-16-2013, 03:05 PM
A REPLAY CODE
This is what I did: [spoiler=Simms,a] Finns [/spoiler ] without space lol