PDA

View Full Version : Giant spam hasn't been reduced

FailingAtFailing
01-20-2013, 08:18 AM
So the patch 1.38 was meant to reduce giant spammers by slowing them down. Well it slows them down for a minute or two max. People can still spam giants as much as they want after they get the upgrades.

So really, what I'm saying is the patch did nothing as giant spammers seem to be resurfacing in the past few days, or I've just been seeing alot of them. Atleast 3 quarters of my games have been against giant spammers of some variety.

Really, some of them hide half a dozen giants in their castle and have speartons or miner walls preventing effective scouting.

Giants are meant to be support and meatshields. Not attack units. Either increase the population they require or put a hard cap on how many you can have.

For realism maybe merics shouldn't even heal giants since they are a completely different race. The only way to remove poison or heal a giant would be to garrison them. That would put a dent in some giant spamming strategies.

DragonFrost
01-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Well, it helps. If they garrison ALL of their giants, how many speartons could they have? Just get a ghost plus a bunch of ranged units (please not giants) and support the ghost. A strategy I use A LOT. Idk if my second two replays (in the replay code thread) are outdated now, but if not, then watch what I do when my ghost appears.

m0ntana
01-20-2013, 08:29 AM
I just beat a giant spammer :P

uberman
01-20-2013, 08:42 AM
If the patch slows down the giant spam, then it gives the other player some more time to prepare a counter-force. Its got to help.

But I dont think it is supposed to prevent giant spam.

Also, the increased cost of castle archer will make it more difficult to set up defences and just turtle while building a mass of giants.

Every little helps. The mods probably dont want to over-nerf giants.

The problem is if you want one giant to meat shield, the increased buff cost still hurt you as much as someone going full giants. If your going to buy the buff, you may as well spam giants. I'd prefer increasing costs with increasing giants as a model to reduce giant massing without reducing a giant or two as meatshield.
But I'll take what ever I cab get :)

FailingAtFailing
01-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Well, it helps. If they garrison ALL of their giants, how many speartons could they have? Just get a ghost plus a bunch of ranged units (please not giants) and support the ghost. A strategy I use A LOT. Idk if my second two replays (in the replay code thread) are outdated now, but if not, then watch what I do when my ghost appears.

That was pretty skillfull what you did with the mass archers. Although, if the enemy has speartons they could catch up to the archers and kill them, right? So that would need albows, correct?

WyzDM
01-20-2013, 08:53 AM
If your opponent if still spamming giants... you're not attacking his base enough, period.

Unless you're playing fattycow/goat/pig on Green Hills.

That's an exception.

DragonFrost
01-20-2013, 09:15 AM
That was pretty skillfull what you did with the mass archers. Although, if the enemy has speartons they could catch up to the archers and kill them, right? So that would need albows, correct?

Yes, at the start. Usually I just kite and send my swords at them XD but when I get like 20, I can PWN a bunch of speartons by kiting, plus sometimes (rarely. I suppose :/) I get castle archers and walls right behind the middle, so if I have to, retreat to behind walls. I beat a spearton spammer with that and a bunch of archidons (montana2 XD)

FailingAtFailing
01-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Alright, so sometimes I do underestimate the power of harassing the opponent's economy, mainly because it seems easy to counter.

DragonFrost
01-20-2013, 09:26 AM
How is harassing easy to counter? Unless they have good imicro and better units than you.
Note: when I harass, I try not to let my units (not counting ghost or meat shield) get hurt from castle archers. So just let your spearton be the meat shield, while you PWN the statue or something.

FailingAtFailing
01-20-2013, 10:20 AM
How is harassing easy to counter? Unless they have good imicro and better units than you.
Note: when I harass, I try not to let my units (not counting ghost or meat shield) get hurt from castle archers. So just let your spearton be the meat shield, while you PWN the statue or something.

The ghost is usually killed easily if the enemy has a spearton or two with some castle archers, atleast in my experience. I've started supporting it with archers, but I usually only get a volley of arrows in before I have to retreat. If the enemy has merics, it becomes even less effective.

DragonFrost
01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
:/ I don't believe that. The ghost itself is a PIECE OF ****. But while it's health isnt a lot (actually, its quite high :P), 1 volley of 10 archidons or something similar could devastate their speartons, merics, etc.

stickman311
01-20-2013, 03:24 PM
So your saying the giant ghost is bad at meat sheild

FailingAtFailing
01-20-2013, 04:17 PM
:/ I don't believe that. The ghost itself is a PIECE OF ****. But while it's health isnt a lot (actually, its quite high :P), 1 volley of 10 archidons or something similar could devastate their speartons, merics, etc.

If they have merics though, which giant spammers tend to have a few of.....

It renders a single volley useless, even if it's fire arrows. And the merics go behind the giants so no luck there.

malbence
01-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Nah just target one spearton each time the ghost comes out and with enough archers and fire arrows activated it should be dead.

FailingAtFailing
01-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Nah just target one spearton each time the ghost comes out and with enough archers and fire arrows activated it should be dead.

I'll try that, but if the enemy has a few speartons, wouldn't they congregate into a blob of speartons making it hard to hit just a single one?

DragonFrost
01-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Yes. Also, just to let you guys know, it is possible to kite egiants with archidons (no flame arrows)

Panki
01-20-2013, 07:16 PM
But that's ineffective unless you have like 40 archidons or something.

FailingAtFailing
01-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Yes. Also, just to let you guys know, it is possible to kite egiants with archidons (no flame arrows)

Problem is, I'm having most trouble on small maps since they leave no room for kiting and all people I face on shorter maps seem to giant spam.

DragonFrost
01-20-2013, 07:33 PM
True. Hide behind walls and statue :D
@panki: Thats exactly what i do. I mass archidonis.

Panki
01-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Hmmm, never really seen an effective archidon mass. Because when that happens, my juggerknights use charge. Just ask Bladed Fire :P

DragonFrost
01-20-2013, 07:43 PM
:P Watch my replay against chaoticevil (in replay code thread)

malbence
01-20-2013, 08:05 PM
A major problem with archidon spam is magikill. One sexilly placed blast and then all your archers are dead. Or at least most of them. :P

DragonFrost
01-20-2013, 08:11 PM
:D but I'm skilled :P too bad I can't play ATM, but when we both can, you try to kill my archidons with a magikill :)

malbence
01-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Oh man we should play right now anyways. Why can't you?

DragonFrost
01-20-2013, 08:14 PM
I saw your thread about discussing strategies and such. Reason I cant play: I can't go on the computer (almost bedtime here :)) but I can go on the iPad. I can go on forums, but not stick empires.

malbence
01-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Aw man. Maybe some other time then. :P

DragonFrost
01-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Ok. :)

FailingAtFailing
01-20-2013, 08:24 PM
A major problem with archidon spam is magikill. One sexilly placed blast and then all your archers are dead. Or at least most of them. :P

For the magikill to get close enough he will have to get in archer range, at which point he's got arrows in all his body.

I always use magikill too so.... Yea. It's mainly because they own everything and I have a cool staff for them.

WyzDM
01-20-2013, 08:25 PM
This is disappointing. It's nearly impossible to release a giant now on it's own, and players are still here bickering over giant spamming remaining unsolved??

Let's face it, the problem is you now. Obviously, if he's able to get giants and you aren't, quit blaming the game. You're doing something wrong. Fix it.

I'll give you a hint: It starts by actually launching an attack.

malbence
01-20-2013, 08:29 PM
^ I totally agree with that; giant massing only occurs when you let it.

DragonFrost
01-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Sometimes they turtle LIKE A BOSS! Even wyzdm agrees (only for fatty goat/pig/cow)
What do you do? You don't exactly "let" them. It's just you cannot do ANYTHING against them giant massing.

WyzDM
01-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Sometimes they turtle LIKE A BOSS! Even wyzdm agrees (only for fatty goat/pig/cow)
What do you do? You don't exactly "let" them. It's just you cannot do ANYTHING against them giant massing.

You control center right? Get ghost spawn 2 and make your own mass of giants. Your economy will be so farther ahead you can mix it with other units. Get full army and launch an attack. Be sure not to completely drain your army, as to have a force for the tower to control (to keep the ghost spawn). Do this and you'll win eventually.

xvdaemonicxv
01-20-2013, 09:21 PM

Hmm yea, in those cases... you just gota giant mass yourself and get ghost giant and go for late game. There should be a tier 3 ghost unit for long ass sieges like those ;)

50k gold 50k mana. You get rambo.

WyzDM
01-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Hmm yea, in those cases... you just gota giant mass yourself and get ghost giant and go for late game. There should be a tier 3 ghost unit for long ass sieges like those ;)

50k gold 50k mana. You get rambo.

After Gandolf.

YOU
SHALL

NOT

PASS!!!

uberman
01-20-2013, 10:18 PM
:P Watch my replay against chaoticevil (in replay code thread)

Growl.
I had something in my eye....

_Ai_
01-21-2013, 12:12 AM
1. buy enough unit to kill a giant easily.
2. let them buy a giant
3. kill giant
4. rush to base
5. kill miners
6. ???
7. profit!

DragonFrost
01-21-2013, 07:02 AM
Whats with the ??? And the profit thing, aiman?
@chaotic evil: I'm just using it as an example on how to use archidons as support behind ghost :D

uberman
01-21-2013, 07:45 AM
@chaotic evil: I'm just using it as an example on how to use archidons as support behind ghost :D

No Problem, you beat me fair and square, it happens :)