PDA

View Full Version : New Patch General Comments

MiamiBigAL
01-20-2013, 12:59 PM
I haven't played in a while as I have been on holiday, but I am a little perplexed by the newest patch.

First, I want to congratulate the devs on the 1.38 giant and upgrade nerf. I think it is fantastic. Giants were overused and overpowered, so anything reducing their use is a good thing. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I am predicting that at a high level of play giants will cease to play a big role (and at a low level, probably still a big role).

However, 1.39 changes do not make sense to me. I would never go castle II archers on the old cheaper price, as doing so usually caused you to lose the game. Now that Castle II is 600 gold, they are even more useless. If Castle II is now useless, then Castle III is a hundred times more useless.

I am not really that bothered personally as I think they suck and did not impact the game very much anyway. So making them suck more does not make a difference to current game play. But I am always a supporter of making sure every single unit in the game having some significant purpose, which means making a poor upgrade even poorer sounds like a step in the wrong direction.

m0ntana
01-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Hey Miami!
Nice post, and also by the way, you accepted to be in my clan a while ago if you don't remember. Our clan went to Sons of Saints and now the clan has Top 7! The site for sons of saints has a chat box, and it's really active. If you decide to give the clan site a visit, go to "The Official Clan Thread". I hope to see you there. :)

FailingAtFailing
01-20-2013, 01:26 PM
I think Castle Archer was nerfed so that giant spammers couldn't make miner cities as quickly to get giants fast.

malbence
01-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I don't use Castle Archers, personally, but they are a good counter to a typical swordarrow rush or swordsword rush.

Which is my main problem with them; I think the first one should be 400-500 Gold and the rest well whatever with them.

WyzDM
01-20-2013, 02:21 PM
There was a concept of "turtling," staying at your base, waiting for an attack, and countering it. However, if you went castle archer 3 early in the game, it would only make games longer, as you have no army defense and your opponent controls center. This just makes games more fast pace. They still have use, certainly, but for camping... hardly any.

PsychoticCheez
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Castle archers are essentially just false hope to drag out the game, making it seem like there is more substance. But hope, as we know, can sometimes give placebo effects. The devs wanted to be rid of these placebo effects (easier giant massing).

Dropping the metaphor though, in essence: castle archers are virtually useless if you want to win (perhaps build them in late game as a contingency plan vs rushes), and Failing is on point with what he says.

It seems like such a shame, though. There seems to be no viable way of incorporating a castle archer into a winning strategy. At least not in higher levels (unless there's something I've missed?), without utilizing trickery.
Middle tower is too valuable in the early stages, so offensive strength is the priority.

WyzDM
01-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Castle archers are essentially just false hope to drag out the game, making it seem like there is more substance. But hope, as we know, can sometimes give placebo effects. The devs wanted to be rid of these placebo effects (easier giant massing).

Dropping the metaphor though, in essence: castle archers are virtually useless if you want to win (perhaps build them in late game as a contingency plan vs rushes), and Failing is on point with what he says.

It seems like such a shame, though. There seems to be no viable way of incorporating a castle archer into a winning strategy. At least not in higher levels (unless there's something I've missed?), without utilizing trickery.
Middle tower is too valuable in the early stages, so offensive strength is the priority.

This. I feel like they need to be more useful. You only get one if you need it against an early rush, but I never go beyond that, having an army is more important.

MiamiBigAL
01-20-2013, 03:03 PM
There was a concept of "turtling," staying at your base, waiting for an attack, and countering it. However, if you went castle archer 3 early in the game, it would only make games longer, as you have no army defense and your opponent controls center. This just makes games more fast pace. They still have use, certainly, but for camping... hardly any.

Exactly...so why have them at all? Either take II and III out the game, or make them tactically useful. They are just dead weight at the moment.

FailingAtFailing
01-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Anyone remember the Original Stick Wars where units in Garrison would pick up bows and become Castle Archers? I think that was good, anyone else agree? It means if your army is pushed back, they could become castle archers temporarily.

3FFA
01-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Indeed. I did love that mechanic and hated it when I noticed it was no longer in the game for SW2.

FailingAtFailing
01-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Indeed. I did love that mechanic and hated it when I noticed it was no longer in the game for SW2.

If I remember correctly, 5 population meant 1 archer. It was pretty balanced and I think you could upgrade them to flaming arrows (constantly woot woot)

3FFA
01-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Correct, all though we are talking Campaign. SW1 wasn't created with PvP in mind.

_Ai_
01-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Woah, i like this idea..... Especially when pushing back people. XD

Bladed Fire
01-21-2013, 06:06 AM
If I remember correctly, 5 population meant 1 archer. It was pretty balanced and I think you could upgrade them to flaming arrows (constantly woot woot)

The walls behind the statue is miner wall. And do you found out that Stick War 1 Giants and Magikills will go forward after they've been trained?

Azxc
01-21-2013, 06:08 AM
o.O are there any GIANT defending archer in SW1 XD ?

Bladed Fire
01-21-2013, 06:11 AM
Sorry, but no. Even Egiant now in SE shoot projectiles with Archidons, not protecting them.