PDA

View Full Version : How to get past massers

dracojex
01-28-2013, 07:14 PM
So I'm technically a noob but I've come across this interesting situation when I play. This is a "strategy" to overcome massers, esp. spearton/giant massers. It's not really sound because it all depends on the situation and it may fail. But this should only be used when their is "no hope" and the opponent is massing a huge force at the center tower and is about to launch a massive assault. Of course if you're going to do this then you have to attack quickly.

So I've come across this situation a few times. I'm usually a half rusher/economy build kind of person. Right off the bat, I usually build 2 miners and make one pray and the other three mine. After I receive enough money, I build a spearton and take the center tower. After that I continually build miners and eventually when I think it is right (depends on if the other person is building more soldiers, if not, then I build more miners) I build another spearton and harass the opponents other miners. Usually against massers I'm able to pick off one miner or two but then I have to pull back. However, sometimes this rushing tactic fails because the opponent has strong defensive forces such as a few swordwraths, castle archer, miner walls, and a shit-ton of miners. So then I am at a dilemma. I start building a spearton army but it is usually not big enough to take on the massive giant/spearton army the opponent makes. This is tough because since I focused on microing and rushing, my economy is not as strong so if the game is dragged out, I am at a disadvantage.

This is a losing situation if you let it to continue especially if they decide to take the center tower and research ghost. Then they usually camp and build the largest giant army ever and then you're pretty much screwed. However, I've been able to win these "losing situations."

See to win situations like these, you must trick the enemy by being where you aren't supposed to be. How? Well what I do is play a bluff. Usually, the enemy is expecting an attack straight on and they are waiting for it and become overconfident especially if they are camping at the center tower. They are waiting for the enemy to attack so they can unleash their forces. What I do in situations like these, is I take my fast moving speartons and move them past the enemy. True, some will lose health because they are being attacked by the enemy but what you have to do is play the bluff. Because if you stay and try to create a defense, you will surely lose. So take the speartons and rush them past the enemy and all the way to the enemy's statue. DO NOT ATTACK THEIR ARMY. Rather attack their statue only. If you have enough speartons, they may be able to destroy the statue before the enemies castle archer and pursuing army kills your soldiers.

Yes this is a bluff and a trick. See you run the chance of having your whole entire army decimated if they are unable to destroy the statue. However it is worth a shot because if you don't attack you will surely lose. It is especially risky because they enemy may not take the bluff. Since I am assuming they have a much larger army than you, they can just charge straight ahead and kill your statue before you can destroy theirs. However, I have found that most average players will take the bluff and instead of attacking your statue like what they are supposed to do, they try to rush their forces all the way back to their base and defend it, which is stupid.

So basically the strategy is to do the unexpected and be where you aren't supposed to be. Move away from the opponents main army and if you are successful, you should be able to manipulate their movement and eventually win, even if you have far smaller forces. See, when the enemy is far away, you want them to think that you are close to them. When they are close by, you want to make them think that you are far away. When you have a large force, you want them to think that you have a small force. When you have a small force, you want them to think that you have a large force. It's all a mind game.

One last thing, here's what I think is a good way to battle noobish giant massers. However, I've never tried this before so I don't know if it will work well but I believe it should. See giants are great for taking hits and giving out damage and at large amounts, they are highly effective. However, here is way to stop them with a number of speartons if the giants are camped out at the center tower. Take about 8 - 10 speartons and rush them past the giants and attack their statue. However, have a back up squad of 8-10 speartons ready at your disposal. Giants are powerful, but they are slow and cumbersome so you should exploit this. When the giants turn around and try to go back and defend your opponents statue, they are highly vulnerable. They are slow so they are no harm to the original speartons you send out to attack the opponents statue. Take your back up squad of speartons and harass the giants that are retreating back to defend their base. The speartons will catch up and deal damage. Focus the speartons on one giant at a time to pick them off. When the giants reach the statue, rejoin the two spearton squads and attack the statue.

Well that's it, lemme know what you think... but you have to remember every situation is different and you have to develop your own strategies that fit you or fit the opponents playing style. The best strategy is to be adaptive and unexpected.

DragonFrost
01-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Mmmm, another spearton rush technique, but at least it's detailed :D

jli
01-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Hey, you quoted the Art of War :D

The thing is, it'll only work if the other guy gets overconfident and stops looking to see what you're doing over there in your base. Unless you have walls, the ghost from tower spawn will let him see into your castle and - if he's paying attention - notice your 15-20 speartons hiding out.

From there, it's pretty easy to defend against your rush:
3 castle archers, 2 walls, Gandalf, good old Resilience and your speartons are doomed :P

DragonFrost
01-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Where did he quote the art of war?

jli
01-28-2013, 08:30 PM
...snip...

See, when the enemy is far away, you want them to think that you are close to them. When they are close by, you want to make them think that you are far away. When you have a large force, you want them to think that you have a small force. When you have a small force, you want them to think that you have a large force.

...snip...

There ^

DragonFrost
01-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Oh right, I never read the art of war, sorry :/

jli
01-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Haha I haven't either actually, just people quote it all the time because it sounds cool :P

dracojex
01-28-2013, 08:45 PM
yes thats true but you can always garrison some of your soldiers. See for that part I've never actually tried it out. its all hypothetical

jli
01-28-2013, 08:47 PM
yes thats true but you can always garrison s-

Ah, true, but the idea is that they'll all be *dead* :D
Can't garrison dead things :D

Whenever I can tell (through scouting or otherwise) that someone's a masser, the first thing I do is get myself a Magikill.
Amusingly, no one's tried spamming Magikill.

DragonFrost
01-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Actually, in a friendly match, we dared each other to mass stupid stuff, so I massed Merics and magikills :p it works quite well, except if the opponent has magikill and uses electric wall. Explosion is useless against that massing combo, but electric wall, Merics can't heal fast enough. My entire army got wiped (I did try to move them, but they were so slow :/ their slowness is another bad thing)

jli
01-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Yeah, they're so slow, I wish they could mass stun like in the Stick War 1.

Although I feel like, with a good enough micro, a group of magikill would be unstoppable.

lntrepid
01-28-2013, 11:24 PM
Oh, I remember that match, that was fun. Mass stun sounds good as well. And I agree with jli, 4magikill and a meatshield + a giant and a few Archidons could really kick butt.

ShadowyWhisper
01-29-2013, 05:55 AM
So I'm technically a noob but I've come across this interesting situation when I play. This is a "strategy" to overcome massers, esp. spearton/giant massers. It's not really sound because it all depends on the situation and it may fail. But this should only be used when their is "no hope" and the opponent is massing a huge force at the center tower and is about to launch a massive assault. Of course if you're going to do this then you have to attack quickly.

So I've come across this situation a few times. I'm usually a half rusher/economy build kind of person. Right off the bat, I usually build 2 miners and make one pray and the other three mine. After I receive enough money, I build a spearton and take the center tower. After that I continually build miners and eventually when I think it is right (depends on if the other person is building more soldiers, if not, then I build more miners) I build another spearton and harass the opponents other miners. Usually against massers I'm able to pick off one miner or two but then I have to pull back. However, sometimes this rushing tactic fails because the opponent has strong defensive forces such as a few swordwraths, castle archer, miner walls, and a shit-ton of miners. So then I am at a dilemma. I start building a spearton army but it is usually not big enough to take on the massive giant/spearton army the opponent makes. This is tough because since I focused on microing and rushing, my economy is not as strong so if the game is dragged out, I am at a disadvantage.

This is a losing situation if you let it to continue especially if they decide to take the center tower and research ghost. Then they usually camp and build the largest giant army ever and then you're pretty much screwed. However, I've been able to win these "losing situations."

See to win situations like these, you must trick the enemy by being where you aren't supposed to be. How? Well what I do is play a bluff. Usually, the enemy is expecting an attack straight on and they are waiting for it and become overconfident especially if they are camping at the center tower. They are waiting for the enemy to attack so they can unleash their forces. What I do in situations like these, is I take my fast moving speartons and move them past the enemy. True, some will lose health because they are being attacked by the enemy but what you have to do is play the bluff. Because if you stay and try to create a defense, you will surely lose. So take the speartons and rush them past the enemy and all the way to the enemy's statue. DO NOT ATTACK THEIR ARMY. Rather attack their statue only. If you have enough speartons, they may be able to destroy the statue before the enemies castle archer and pursuing army kills your soldiers.

Yes this is a bluff and a trick. See you run the chance of having your whole entire army decimated if they are unable to destroy the statue. However it is worth a shot because if you don't attack you will surely lose. It is especially risky because they enemy may not take the bluff. Since I am assuming they have a much larger army than you, they can just charge straight ahead and kill your statue before you can destroy theirs. However, I have found that most average players will take the bluff and instead of attacking your statue like what they are supposed to do, they try to rush their forces all the way back to their base and defend it, which is stupid.

So basically the strategy is to do the unexpected and be where you aren't supposed to be. Move away from the opponents main army and if you are successful, you should be able to manipulate their movement and eventually win, even if you have far smaller forces. See, when the enemy is far away, you want them to think that you are close to them. When they are close by, you want to make them think that you are far away. When you have a large force, you want them to think that you have a small force. When you have a small force, you want them to think that you have a large force. It's all a mind game.

One last thing, here's what I think is a good way to battle noobish giant massers. However, I've never tried this before so I don't know if it will work well but I believe it should. See giants are great for taking hits and giving out damage and at large amounts, they are highly effective. However, here is way to stop them with a number of speartons if the giants are camped out at the center tower. Take about 8 - 10 speartons and rush them past the giants and attack their statue. However, have a back up squad of 8-10 speartons ready at your disposal. Giants are powerful, but they are slow and cumbersome so you should exploit this. When the giants turn around and try to go back and defend your opponents statue, they are highly vulnerable. They are slow so they are no harm to the original speartons you send out to attack the opponents statue. Take your back up squad of speartons and harass the giants that are retreating back to defend their base. The speartons will catch up and deal damage. Focus the speartons on one giant at a time to pick them off. When the giants reach the statue, rejoin the two spearton squads and attack the statue.

Well that's it, lemme know what you think... but you have to remember every situation is different and you have to develop your own strategies that fit you or fit the opponents playing style. The best strategy is to be adaptive and unexpected.

NO, NO, and NO. I can name 59 ways to defeat this strategy, starting RIGHT from the beginning. What happens if I rush with a SwordWrath or a Spearton? And what do you do with the 200 gold left? BAD IDEA.

dracojex
01-29-2013, 06:11 AM
haha plenty of people have rushed with swordwraths, its not that hard to ward off. You save the first 200 so you can build a spearton. And true the other player could rush in the beginning but that is a risk you have to run.

jli
01-29-2013, 07:12 AM
I can name 59 ways to defeat this strategy.

lol did you actually try and count the number of ways?

dracojex
01-29-2013, 11:10 AM
And of course every situation is different so youre gunna have to adapt your plan to the situation. You can't always follow the same rules every single time.

ShadowyWhisper
01-29-2013, 01:26 PM
lol did you actually try and count the number of ways?

Well, there are quite a lot of ways and 59 is my favorite number :P

XJAWZ
01-29-2013, 03:37 PM
well, I do agree with shadowywhisper to some degree. Not every strategy is perfect. This strategy is only (preferably) used when you are desperatly losing in military and economy, or if the opponent's army and defences are so ridiculous you just rush their statue. The strategy is pretty well explained overall, (certainly a lot better than mine) and I congradulate you on your efforts.