PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions?

jli
02-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Recently I've found that I've stopped improving, or slowed down significantly. Daemonic gave me some excellent tips when I first started out, but that's about all the help I've gotten so far.

Here is a game I played recently. Any suggestions would help a lot.

http://pastebin.com/P7dAV7CD

Note: I'm not using my normal account because a friend of mine let me borrow his to experiment with. He gets rating points, I get a risk-free sandbox to test ideas. Sounds like a good deal to me :D

FailingAtFailing
02-03-2013, 08:27 PM
It didn't look like you got Resilience. You almost died because of that spearton rush. Miner Walls are invaluable. Late-game, I ALWAYS get atleast 1 wall and an archer as a last resort defense, usually since I have tons of gold by then. Do not underestimate giants. Getting one can buy a second or two for your ranged units or your statue due to their stun. I always get one once I have the available gold and I have the first level of growth. They absorb arrows and do good damage to protect your valuable units like magikill.

jli
02-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Hmmm, I remember clicking on Resilience right after I set up my walls and got my magikill after I realized he was spearton rushing. Perhaps the purchase didn't go through?

KrayZStick
02-03-2013, 09:11 PM
1. Put miners to attack Speartons
2. Magikill - Cast Electric Wall and Explosion
3. Resilence
4. Castle Archers
5. Albotrosses or Giants to easily kill 'em.

PsychoticCheez
02-04-2013, 09:00 AM
1. As soon as you'd beat his first Spearton back into it's base, there was no need to retreat all your swords back to base. Sometimes, they don't have enough for a castle archer, and his Spearton needs to get some health before he can engage. This means that their miners and Spearton stay inside for longer, which means your economy can catch up.

You have to be wary though, of when they can afford a castle archer. Try and estimate if they'd have enough; experience will help with this.

2. You do not need to camp by the tower. You gain no benefit from it. Camp instead from just outside of the castle archer's range. You get more information on what troops they build, etc. Even if you don't (because they're clever and hiding it), you can see how many miners they have and make a guess of whether they're making troops, or continuing to spam miners. Respond accordingly. Information is everything.

3. When you buy the tower spawn, I notice that you let it run into the enemy's stronghold by itself. That one Spearton is not a threat to the enemy.
That one Spearton, tanking the castle archer damage, whilst followed by your mass of troops? THAT is a threat to the enemy. Result being the miners retreat; you gain in economy.

4. Improve your macro. I notice that at one point you save up for 1500 gold (and a bit too early, in my opinion) ....but then you decide to purchase two Speartons with it. Spend the money as soon as you have it, or else you might die waiting for troops. There are exceptions to this, though.

4a. You had 2000 gold at one point, just sitting around, and you had nothing in the build queue. You're wasting time

That is all for now.

jli
02-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Ok, I tried to implement all the suggestions you guys gave me, and here's the result:

http://pastebin.com/nJjbqZtx

Obviously it's still not the best, but I tried :/

Also, I don't really know what to do after my army maxes out, so that's why I just left the gold there like that. I usually just try and buy upgrade, but there aren't many useful ones left by that time. What do you normally do with your surplus?

PsychoticCheez
02-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Ok, I tried to implement all the suggestions you guys gave me, and here's the result:

Also, I don't really know what to do after my army maxes out, so that's why I just left the gold there like that. I usually just try and buy upgrade, but there aren't many useful ones left by that time. What do you normally do with your surplus?

1. At the very beginning, when you won the first skirmish, you show signs of wanting to garrison your archer straight away.

Knowing that they also started with sword-archer, you know their economy is weak. And because you pumped out a sword with your first 150 gold (rather than get a miner), you can match whatever army he throws at you (you have the same economy, plus a one archer advantage; you've won).

The map is short enough that you can get to his miners before they can do much of anything. I'd charge with the lone archer, even with only 2 hits left. If you see a swordwrath, kite immediately.

2. About 2:50 you camp right outside his base, and shoot, leaving your swordwrath in front of your archer. He has no castle archer yet; why not attack with the swordwrath, too? Remember it takes ten seconds to build one.

3. At 3:25 he has gotten a castle archer, and you know this. Then you spend another 300 gold on swordwrath.

Those swordwrath will never be able to punch through the castle archer, and by investing in a currently useless military, you give him time to let his economy catch up.

If you spent that 300 gold on more miners, your economic lead is taken further; this is an advantage that will increase exponentially. You can afford to leave your military because your current army beats his current army.

4. As your tower spawn goes in, make sure to send some ranged units in (or some melee, if you're confident in your micro) to dish out some damage to those who try to oppose your ghost. Or any stubborn miners, etc. Maybe even the statue! Every little helps.

Keep an eye on them though, sometimes the castle archer randomly targets my ranged units (rarely happens), but as long as you keep a distance between your units and the ghost, you should be fine.

5. If you're going to attack with an army that has some swordwrath in it, try to avoid sending them in first (if you can). Castle archers obliterate swordwrath.

6. Stop limiting your miner numbers to just 8 on gold and 3-4 on mana.
6a. No point having room for an army, if you don't have an army.
6b. It doesn't matter how many troops you have, as long as they can beat the other guy's. And it's easier to beat the other guy's when you're pumping out twice as many troops as them at once. And it's easier to pump out twice as many troops as them, when you can actually afford it.

7. If you have a surplus (you are maxed out), then what are you waiting for? Attack.

ShadowyWhisper
02-04-2013, 04:56 PM
VERY GOOD ADVICE. I can see why you are so high on the list. Yes, he is right, you should not have built so many swordwrath. And attack earlier if you see no defense available to your opponent.

FailingAtFailing
02-04-2013, 06:44 PM

I send surplus gold to either getting 2 miner walls or a second castle archer. I keep my miners until they have no more gold left to mine. If a miner has no gold to mine, I send it to mana. 5 miners on mana (for spells) and then I start sending my miners on suicide missions.

ShadowyWhisper
02-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Lol FailingAtFailing I just noticed you changed it from 1550's to 1600's. So you're going to keep changing it until you get to Top 100 where you'll write:

Chilling around the Top 100 is what I do cause I'm too awesome for you pathetic suckers who aren't on it.

DragonFrost
02-04-2013, 07:23 PM
That is off topic: but I might as well follow the new topic: READ MY SIGNATURE,

ShadowyWhisper
02-04-2013, 07:45 PM
How... is that... anywhere on topic????

DragonFrost
02-04-2013, 08:26 PM
You started it.

jli
02-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Shadowy, you just love dragging things off topic, don't you.

Anyway, I thought I might as well have another try at this, so here's a third replay:

http://pastebin.com/sB5VzWmD

This time I tried to tech up to speartons as soon as he got a castle archer and spammed more miners. How did I do?