PDA

View Full Version : Back after long hiatus

Ahtex!
02-05-2013, 12:19 AM
Made this little "I don't even know" animation as kind of a "rust breaker"
I will accept criticism on it without babbling like most seem to do on this site (I said most, not all).

height=400 width=700

What I am mainly looking for is tips on how you guys manage to animate multiple sticks in sync with one another, like how you determine where to position the characters for attack and defence.
The main problem I tend to have when adding new stick men is that the one getting hit always looks wrong or like he's purposefully getting in the way of the other's attacks.

For example in the above animation what would be the best approach to animating say a red guy getting hit by the attacks displayed then retaliating with his own afterwards?

Rathaken
02-05-2013, 12:52 AM
i don't see one guy getting hit here though. If there is a red guy approaching from the right, he should be charging a punch before impact, and obviously the blue hits first. But in later sequence, he flip kicks him to the ground. Then I see an other stick coming from the left and jumps to do a superman punch then gets double kicked!

As to how to do it, I usually Make a running loop if a stick is running towards my main character, then before impact, I take over with animating the rest. hope you understand lol

Ahtex!
02-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the comment, and I really want to try that out to see how it looks!
I don't think I was clear enough with my original statement, what I meant by help with other stick men is how you guys manage to keep the movements looking real whilst they are engaged in close combat?
I hope I'm making sense here.

Rathaken
02-05-2013, 01:53 AM
What do you mean by real though? we usually animate the attacker first and then the reactions for the defender. Or at least that's how I do it. In longer animations, I break down the moves into combos between the attacker and defender. After a while of animating (experience) you get a feel for it. Like I can see the whole seen in my mind, both attacker and defender. In turn, I can animate both the offensive moves and defending moves all at once for a given sequence.

but if is hard and confusing, you can always try and use storyboards to guide you a bit. Or use a layer as a guide and sketch out what you want to do for hints.

There's tons of techniques :) hope i'm making sense lol

Ahtex!
02-05-2013, 02:25 AM
Yeah, that was what I was trying to ask, I guess I should have said what's your "process" to getting the attacker and defender looking correct, because before I was just animating one stick figure doing a combo then adding another stick figure to get hit by the moves which looked very ragdoll-ish. I like the idea of using a guide layer first though.

Thanks for your help!

-Hawk-
02-05-2013, 03:53 AM
It's looking rusty, but still good. :) Now, I'm not exactly a very technical animator and now that I think about it it's been ages since I last animated a fight without firearms or close-ups but I'd say you should simply think from the perspective of each character instead of trying to direct the battle from beginning to end with a certain conclusion in mind. So instead of animating a long combo for one guy then moving on to the other, animate just one move and then move on to the other character. Think of all the possibilities they have after every move the other makes. But that's just my two cents. :D