PDA

View Full Version : Boondocks Short: Riley vs Huey

Mranimator15
02-19-2013, 02:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rjZPh0eYPg

Share, sub,cnc or like.

Quik
02-19-2013, 02:56 PM
The combat was stiff, had too much stop and go, at certain points lacked force, and some of the movements were overly slow and carried out too long...

If you're going to carry your moves out that long you should probably single frame...

But the faces seem decent...

Mikematic
02-19-2013, 03:00 PM
LOL! I WAS EXPECTING MORE!
What you had was still pretty boss tho, and I loved the Mario thing, lol.

Ezy
02-19-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm sorry Quik, but I have to disagree with everything you just said. It was a slower fight but that doesn't mean it was lacking force or it was stiff at all. You could clearly see what was a light hit vs a hard hit. I actually loved that style, it's refreshing and a different pace compared to the one frame attacks trending right now. Keep up the great work!

Red Death
02-19-2013, 04:02 PM
It was cool. I wish I came up with this idea xD

Quik
02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm sorry Quik, but I have to disagree with everything you just said. It was a slower fight but that doesn't mean it was lacking force or it was stiff at all.

I'm not saying the slowness was the cause of the lack of force...
The anim itself just at points lacked force like Riley's kick he did while he was on the ground (0:07) or even Huey's double punch ( 0:10)...
Even if it was a light attack Huey showed little to no sign of being hit and the attack was barely noticeable (the same applies to Huey's double punch, Riley barely showed any sign of being hit)...
And having slow attacks do not dictate being stiff, his attacks were just straight up stiff in most of the anim...

You could clearly see what was a light hit vs a hard hit.

Still, if it lacks it lacks...

I actually loved that style, it's refreshing and a different pace compared to the one frame attacks trending right now.

That is a personal preference, but he still has things in his anim which could be fixed in order for him to get better...

Drone
02-19-2013, 04:29 PM
The combat was stiff, had too much stop and go, at certain points lacked force, and some of the movements were overly slow and carried out too long...

If you're going to carry your moves out that long you should probably single frame...

Quik, stop and go is not always a bad thing in every situation because you seem to think it is :|
The speed of this animation is perfect for the music and theme and the pace helped me get more into the animation, since it wasnt just HITHITHITKICKHITKICKSMACKHIT at a constant extremely quick pace.
If you were fighting in real like, (which is at least loosely what the boondocks tries to be like, real life. In the animation style at least) you would'nt be able to pull off the super fast and frankly unrealistic moves you've grown accustomed to in stickfigures. And honestly, if this was any faster, it would be more like every other stick figure fight animation ever with a boondocks theme instead of an animation based on the boondocks with the intention of being a boondocks kind of animation.

Quik
02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Quik, stop and go is not always a bad thing in every situation because you seem to think it is :|
The speed of this animation is perfect for the music and theme and the pace helped me get more into the animation, since it wasnt just HITHITHITKICKHITKICKSMACKHIT at a constant extremely quick pace.
If you were fighting in real like, (which is at least loosely what the boondocks tries to be like, real life. In the animation style at least) you would'nt be able to pull off the super fast and frankly unrealistic moves you've grown accustomed to in stickfigures. And honestly, if this was any faster, it would be more like every other stick figure fight animation ever with a boondocks theme instead of an animation based on the boondocks with the intention of being a boondocks kind of animation.

Stop and go is only truly justified if you keep a completely consistent flow...
His anim would stop awkwardly then go into a random rush with random forceless attacks...
I don't at all expect people to do my kind of speed of moves, for most people it's hard as hell and it's not exactly the way to go if you want realism... Realism isn't random pauses and stops, realism can actually be pulled off in medium paced attacks (Tocksique is a very excellent example of that)...

And Boondock's choreography constantly defies gravity (not very realistic), the only time it has ever truly done a stop and go style was to show how inexperienced the fighter was (generally used on someone like Riley)...

And what is every other stick figure fight animation ever ? Much of the community's style differs and varies... I fail to see how every other stick figure fight animation ever are the same...

CrewKid
02-19-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm sorry Quik, but I have to disagree with everything you just said. It was a slower fight but that doesn't mean it was lacking force or it was stiff at all. You could clearly see what was a light hit vs a hard hit. I actually loved that style, it's refreshing and a different pace compared to the one frame attacks trending right now. Keep up the great work!

You know Quik, I FUCKING LOVE YOU but this wasn't a lot of things you said and definitely not stop n go... his style is just this way, slow and there were lots of change in direction. It was decently eased as well. Maybe a different word than stop and go would be a better description.

Your style is good, I like it a lot. But i wouldnt say fast pace is trending. You got a handful with that style. Guz, Tock, Juler, and maybe 1 or two more but you
have some people who do animate relatively slow paced yet still action-y. Check out Xreb's last RHG. Slow paced, great action plus bg stuff to add pace.
This is a relatively nice animation and the artwork is pretty good. Not bad!

Mranimator15
02-19-2013, 04:56 PM
RE-UPLOAD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rjZPh0eYPg

Drone
02-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Stop and go is only truly justified if you keep a completely consistent flow...
His anim would stop awkwardly then go into a random rush with random forceless attacks...
I don't at all expect people to do my kind of speed of moves, for most people it's hard as hell and it's not exactly the way to go if you want realism... Realism isn't random pauses and stops, realism can actually be pulled off in medium paced attacks (Tocksique is a very excellent example of that)...

And Boondock's choreography constantly defies gravity (not very realistic), the only time it has ever truly done a stop and go style was to show how inexperienced the fighter was (generally used on someone like Riley)...

And what is every other stick figure fight animation ever ? Much of the community's style differs and varies... I fail to see how every other stick figure fight animation ever are the same...
-Ok, I never said anything about the power in the attacks, which i do actually believe needs work, but what exactly is wrong with his flow? he has a slow and steady pace, the characters dont always have to be jerking and speeding into their next attacks.
-Go and watch two random street brawlers fight. Im not sure you've ever seen a non professional fight before if you believe that its realistic to be able to completely contemplate your oponents moves so as to block and organize well placed powerful, effective attacks all into one fluid never ending movement.
-I dont know about you, but if I were to venture into the flash section of this site, I would see a shit ton of people animating the way youd describe,
'oh, fast attacks, that will make my animation look cool'
Thats not a very open mindset to have. The animation still looks good even though its not the stupidly overly fast single frame hit riddled and speed combo you might be yearning to see in every animation.

acb
02-19-2013, 05:28 PM

Combat can be stop and go its perfectly fine, as long as it makes sense..
You were right to say that some hits seemed to lack force I agree.
I'd say that you over done the harsh criticism, but you are not entirely wrong. :p

Mranimator15
02-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Hey... all i can say is that everyone has their own animating fighting style, and its ok to see a lot of fighting choreography to be similar but people would see other animations differently depending how they animated that.

stickflashanimator
02-20-2013, 06:42 PM
I like this, cool idea and im glad u kinda put the alfa on the bar in the front was afraid i wasnt going to be able to see the combat, but good job on making the hair look fluid with the head movements i thought about that alot :D