PDA

View Full Version : The Institution (Writing Improvement Program)

Azure
02-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Ll
Welcome to the clan which is not a clan.

About The Institute:
Confused? Well don't be. This is the Institute, where we work to increase the quality of writing in our own unique and special ways. The motto of the institute is:

"Anyone can write, but a guiding hand can help one write well."

In order to accomplish the goal of increasing writing standards, "Mentors" will teach "Students" different techniques they employ, and teach them about their own particular writing style. Now, note, a Mentor is not there to teach you to be like them. Mentors are simply people who you believe are the best at helping you become better at something you enjoy. They provide challenges, guides, C'n'C, and other services to their students, and possibly others. It is also to be noted that every mentor works differently, has different styles, specializes in different aspects, and most importantly, are not perfect. Just like students, mentors are constantly learning and evolving their techniques and styles. Just because you study under them once, doesn't mean that they won't have something new another time!

How The Institute Works:
The Institute works by having students choose their mentor from the list of available mentors. Some mentors prefer one student, some can handle multiple. As long as they are on the available list, you can see if they'll accept you. After a student has chosen a mentor, they must contact the Institute Administrator (that would be me, Shaq-of-All-Trades) to let the mentor know that they have an interest in learning under them. It is then up to the mentor to accept or decline. If they decline, do not try to hassle them. Simply try another mentor, or try again at a later date.

Once a student and mentor are paired, the mentor has free range over the student's learning process. They can teach how they want, and they will not be asked to teach otherwise. If you think your mentor is too harsh, simply ask me to remove you from their roster. The mentor will then be contacted, and informed that you are no longer their student. Students, however, are expected to treat their mentor with the utmost respect, unless their mentor specifies otherwise. Any attempts at hassling, harassing, threatening, or any other negative actions taken by a student towards a mentor will be reported. Similarly, if you feel your mentor is being purely negative with no purpose, then simply PM me proof and I'll handle the situation accordingly.

Mentors are expected to periodically give their students "tests," which will be used as a way to measure their progress as well as the successfulness of the program and pairing. Test topics will be given by me, and mentors may then create their own format/twist for that topic, which they will present to their student(s). The student(s) will then write about the topic provided, and PM it to their mentor. The mentor will look it over and provide me with the test, as well as their opinion and a score of 1-10. Scores will not be posted, but they will be used (as previously stated) to test the effectiveness of this program. All students will be informed of their own individual scores after all tests have been checked over and discussed.

To Apply To Be A Mentor:
To apply to be a mentor, please send to me a PM entitled "Mentor Application" along with a document symbol (the dog-eared paper). Any applications without this will be immediately deleted. The format for the actual PM will be as followed:

Username: (What is your username?)

Time Zone: (What time zone do you live in?)

Preferred Title: (What would you like students to call you?)

Preferred Genre: (What type of stories do you write the most/ excel at writing?)

Writing Style: (Do you prefer detailing each aspect vividly, or giving simplistic and slightly mysterious descriptions so the reader forms their own image? Explain here.)

Audition Piece: (The actual auditioning story, please write a short story that shows off your talent. Please look over at least twice before sending in, this determines if you're in or not.)

Please be serious about applying, and be sure you have time to work with your student. Mentors are to be looked up to, so if you apply and put forth no effort, YOU WILL BE KICKED.

Students:
If you wish to be a student, please inform me in a PM, not on the actual thread. This will help keep the thread clean and professional looking. It is also encouraged that you provide your time zone so that you can be placed with a mentor that best matches schedules. If you are unsure who you wish to be mentored by, send in a short piece, and you will be assigned to the mentor who is deemed best for helping you improve in the aspects you need work in. For those unsure what this means:

Name:

Who you want to be your mentor:

(optional) A piece demonstrating your skill: This is only if you don't want a specific mentor.

RULES:
These rules are provided to keep a smooth running operation, and a clean page:

1. The thread is meant for discussion on improvement, and on matters involving The Institute, as well as its actual operation. Any conversations not relating directly to The Institute will be reported.

2. Do not try to have more than one mentor at once. Mentors lessons differ depending on who they are and how they prefer to do things. Trying for more than once can and will lead to chaos and more difficulty improving. If you are done with your current mentor, kindly let me know, and you can transition to another in a calm and orderly manner.

3. Do not harass or make harmful comments. Racism, threats, and general intolerance will result in you being reported and banned form the program. This is not a joke.

4. We all make mistakes, but that doesn't mean you can complain about them. Students, if your mentor makes a mistake, discuss it with them. It might not be a real mistake, or they could have missed something. Don't try to act superior with them, you'll just look like an ass and get into unnecessary trouble. Mentors, if your student keeps making mistakes, don't try getting rid of them. You're their mentor, and you're there to help them learn.

5. You have only one extra chance. Break any rule once, and you'll be on probation. Break any rule again, and you're out of the program permanently unless the mentors have majority consent to allow you back in. Best thing to do is avoid breaking a rule in the first place.

Mentor List:

Shaq-of-All-Trades:
Preferred Title: Shaq or Shaq-dono
Time Zone: Eastern Standard/New York
Preferred Genre: Grimdark, Action, Adventure
Writing Style: Descriptive action scenes with fair storytelling.

Hewitt
Writing Style: Detailed descriptions in a well rounded aspect

acutelatios
Time zone: Eastern Standard/Melbourne/+10:00
Preferred Genre: Fantasy, Action, Mystery, Suspense
Writing Style: Well rounded in any aspect, detailed descriptions, smooth storylines, any POV style

Pairings:
acutelatios & GamerXD8

Updates:

2/22/13 Slight alterations to student section, as well as switched status to available.

2/26/13 Added Hewitt as a part time mentor. Pairings set.

5/28/13 All pairings cleared, and Acutie is added to the mentor list.

_Ai_
02-21-2013, 02:20 AM
Suggestions :
1. Why dont make a format for the student application too? Im going to apply, but I dont know how to. Currently confused on how to submit to you.
2. Choose Mentors that you see active most of the time.
3. Make it into 1 timezone, like GMT or UTC. For easier reference.

Suggested format (Similar to Mentor application)
Username : (Your Username)
Timezone : (Your Timezone)
Preferred Title : (How to be adressed by your mentor)
Preferred Mentor : (Which Mentor you would like to be mentored from)

Example :

The Instution : Student Application

Username : _Aiman_
Timezone : UTC +8
Title : Aiman
Mentor : No special reference

Azure
02-22-2013, 03:51 AM
The Institute will officially begin matching students with mentors when we have three mentors officially registered.

Triss
02-22-2013, 06:50 PM
There isn't a lot of people who have is skilled enough to be a mentor here :/
Maybe this clan would not grow, maybe it would.
But since you're one of my mentors, I could give you some suggestions for mentor.
Suggestion:
Crankuba
ShadowKirby
Luzoto
Hewitt
and maybe some others.

Azure
02-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Technically you're not officially my student, and I've made slight alterations to the student section. Also, I'm currently waiting for some information from Hewitt before I add him as a (part-time) mentor, and if any others want to join, then the format is there and I'm usually available.

Luzoto
02-23-2013, 07:23 PM
I don't think the name makes the purpose of this 'clan' very clear. Maybe put something like 'Mentorship System' next to the title?

SpeerMintty
02-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Or at least "The Academy" XD "The Institution" might scare the "sane" ones away XD

Azure
02-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Improved the title to encourage some participation.

kingkickass2013
02-23-2013, 08:13 PM
This struck fear into my eyes, I may join if I don't get any better on own

Bladed Fire
02-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Hey wait... Kingkickass, at last! You changed your writing styles to normal!

kingkickass2013
02-23-2013, 11:09 PM
I pop in and out with my writing, when I'm writing a story I make sure to write with my maximum writing skill, the reason the last one was so crappy is because it was rushed.

Azure
02-24-2013, 05:51 AM
Bladed Fire, please read the rules. You have been warned once now. This is not a place to play around, and I will not stand to watch it become unnecessarily cluttered.

kingkickass2013
02-24-2013, 04:02 PM
We apologize, but this is a place to talk about how we are improving our writing, right?

SpeerMintty
02-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Just a question Shaq - do you go for small amounts of time with great detail, or longer amounts of time and describe different things? I feel like I was too spaced out and random in my fight with Aiman, and I was wondering which appealed more to writers?

Azure
02-24-2013, 06:46 PM
@Speer

I have a saying for my approach I recurved from my teacher: "Write a story like a skirt; long enough to cover everything you need to, yet short enough to keep them interested." By carefully investing details on parts that would normally recurve less interest, I can force a reader to make it through my story.

@king

You can discuss where you might need improvement, and ask questions about the Institute. But idle chat that barely sticks to the topic isn't exactly the most welcome. I'll pull back my warning for now since this is still new, but please try to keep this thread tidy and professional.

kingkickass2013
02-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Understood, by the way, Is it alright if I send you my story for the battle against Triss to see what problems may exist in my writing (Triss you are already a pro so don't complain)

Its incomplete though, but I will tell you what I plan.

Azure
02-24-2013, 06:54 PM
That is completely alright with me.

kingkickass2013
02-24-2013, 07:03 PM
I sent the story, its in the Private messages, PM me back on what you think (don't tell anybody else about it, I kinda want to keep my work secret till the battle page comes)

Azure
02-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Are you quite sure? I haven't received a PM from you.

kingkickass2013
02-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Alright I will attempt to send you another one.

_Ai_
02-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Alright I will attempt to send you another one.

Maybe Shaq's or KKA's inboxes are full.

kingkickass2013
02-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Hey Shaq, I wish to join this academy after my banishment, may I join it to learn in the arts of writing.

SpeerMintty
02-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Haha, hey KickAss XD btw, its just art, its the Art of Writing (which is kind of ironic...)

But anyway... @Shaq - are we allowed to ask general questions here or do we have to sing up for the answers? Cuz I'm tryna get something together, I have a problem, but I'm not on enough to really b a full time student...

kingkickass2013
02-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Shaq I will be sending you a private message on my work, please respond.

By the way what did I say about abbreviating my username. I don't like it, its just as easy to call me kick or king.

_Ai_
02-25-2013, 11:00 PM
Shaq I will be sending you a private message on my work, please respond.

By the way what did I say about abbreviating my username. I don't like it, its just as easy to call me kick or king.

KKA is shorter.

kingkickass2013
02-25-2013, 11:02 PM
by one button -_-, anyway any idea on when Shaq may be on, I may need a lot more help than I think. (I just got out of banishment don't piss me off)

Azure
02-26-2013, 03:33 AM
@king

Anyone can join at any time.

@Speer

As long as the conversation doesn't drift far, you may ask questions and discuss the Institute. After we're better established, I'll be a bit more lenient.

@Hewitt

Thanks, I'll get you set up on the front page. I'll also PM you when the chance presents itself, because I'm always interested in events.

_Ai_
02-26-2013, 03:38 AM
So...Who am I paired with?

Azure
02-26-2013, 04:25 AM
At the moment, you can choose between either me or Hewitt. Choice is completely yours.

_Ai_
02-26-2013, 04:59 AM
If you're picking me, don't expect a swift response. As you saw in my sample, I cnc'd that guy after a couple of days over. My scheds are irregular and tiring

I wouldnt mind not being replied instantly. With that said, I choose you, Hewitt! (lol pokemon)

Triss
02-26-2013, 05:00 AM
I would like Shaq to be my mentor (and my rival)
But only if you accepted it.

Azure
02-26-2013, 05:44 AM
The front page will be updated as soon as possible to show the pairings. Also, Triss, I accept you as a student, though know that I am a strict mentor.

kingkickass2013
02-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I choose Shaq, strict is what teaches.

Triss
03-01-2013, 05:25 AM
Shaq, could I also apply as part-time mentor?
So I would be a teacher, but also a stuedent XP

kingkickass2013
03-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Hey Shaq the reason I haven't gotten my second assignment in yet is because I'm busy working on my wRHG, HOWEVER the story I have is quickly being built, I am also trying a new writing style, that writing style will be introduced in my fight against luther. (this new writing style doesn't have its script style speeches like the old one did, I believe if I get rid of script like talking I should be able to explain things better and not confuse the reader as much)

Azure
03-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Just a reminder to all students: The Friday Funk is still a required writing. If you don't complete it, you'll be given a test. Also, to my students in particular, I am still expecting your assignments.

_Ai_
03-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Just a reminder to all students: The Friday Funk is still a required writing. If you don't complete it, you'll be given a test. Also, to my students in particular, I am still expecting your assignments.

Well, seems that the tourney is over, guess I can spend some time writing FF.

kingkickass2013
05-22-2013, 07:32 PM
Shaq, I thought I could do this. But I'm quitting the institution, sorry for wasting your time.

But luckily your first assignment actually taught me something. No script style speeches nor are their any titles anymore.

Azure
05-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Well, that is alright. I AM still waiting for everyone I am mentoring to actually send in their assignments I gave them some time ago...

kingkickass2013
05-22-2013, 07:57 PM
I have a question not relating to this that I will ask in PM's. Good luck to everybody in the institution.

Xate
05-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Uh...Am I a student here? Since I've sent a PM to be a student. (Well, I want to be Hewitt's student)

kingkickass2013
05-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Hewitt I think is no longer with us (all of his posts are gone and his SP mafia game is now gone)

Xate
05-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Ya serious? Great. First Pluto and now Hewitt? Writer's Lounge is going to hell.

kingkickass2013
05-23-2013, 02:12 AM
We are losing many yes but don't worry, we as the wRHG still live on.

Azure
05-28-2013, 08:49 PM
All pairings are gone, and if anyone wants to reapply, they can. HOWEVER, I expect people who actually want to improve at writing. This is not just something to join, you have to be at least somewhat committed.

Xate
05-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Me. I want to improve. Please.

Azure
05-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Acutie and Gamer are now officially paired together, and she can give him assignments as she likes.