PDA

View Full Version : Lag as a tool to gain advantage

sorrowandsadness
02-21-2013, 10:57 AM
In my experience one of the biggest draw backs to playing in a blind draw is drawing people who seem to purposefully lag to gain an advantage in combat. It really reduces the enjoyment of the game (both because matches that should take a few minutes take like 30 and because it gives magikill a big advantage in my experience, much harder to kill in a laggy game and can do more damage because units are harder to select and move in the lag).

I think this really needs addressed in an update; when the game clock is doing 1 for 4 seconds of real life time, this is a big problem.

jerrytt
02-21-2013, 04:25 PM
First of all, do you have any proof that they purposefully lag to gain an advantage? You should also consider that any "advantage" they get is also applicable to you. And how do you know that its not you who is lagging?

How would this be addressed in a patch? just ban everyone who lags? Update to more expensive servers? I usually never have a problem with lag so it either has to do with you, or your rating level that may tend to hold laggier opponents.

WyzDM
02-21-2013, 05:31 PM
You should also consider that any "advantage" they get is also applicable to you.

This would be true, but some players are more comfortable with "lag-meta." What I mean by that is simple: Some things you aren't able to do in a laggy game because of faster reaction time, and and some things you are because it's harder to control a certain resource or unit. For example, if you'e order fighting chaos, and your swordwrath approach a mass of bombers, you have more time to determine which swordwrath they're chasing and space him from the rest, or space all of your units apart. In a live game (actual-time) you would not have as much of an opportunity to do this because of the speed of bombers. Your reflexes are simply dulled. Another example is unit selection. While I use some hot-keys, I still like to make personal selections with units using the mouse. In a laggy game, sometimes clicking on more then one of the same unit will count as a double click, or my reaction to see it's not selected will cause me to click again, when it has, and now all units are selected. This has driven me to make serious macro errors that would never happen if the game was in a normal speed setting.

However, in the sense you're able to do the same things, you are right. There was a time when Demongod gave me a lot of trouble, but only because I wasn't used to this. He is still a good player, but now that I make fewer mistakes and have better control that comes with patience, I can perform better. So lag-meta does exist, but you have to develop your own lag meta game.

jerrytt
02-21-2013, 06:07 PM
^^Yup. Who knows... perhaps its not lag, maybe its just your mind slowing things down, like the matrix :P

However, lagging does have its disadvantages. It is nearly impossible to kite in a laggy game, seeing as though you lose half the distance with every shot.

_Ai_
02-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Agreed with both of you. You cant determine who is lagging. Even if you say you never lag, maybe that exact time you lag.

And lag...caused so much loss.

kingkickass2013
02-21-2013, 09:50 PM
um lag forfeit?

_Ai_
02-21-2013, 10:08 PM
That, and many others. Like wyz said, lagging when you click a unit making you clicking at twice, and it selects all the units, making some mistakes when you micro.

stickman311
02-22-2013, 02:21 AM
Some times even when i click 5+ times, it doesn't work, anyways, the BEST solution is to get a computer that costs more than $4000

kingkickass2013
02-22-2013, 01:31 PM
lag forfeit? still just lag forfeit, it gets me every time so why wouldn't it get the others who are lagging

stickman311
02-22-2013, 07:50 PM
I don't see the reason why you need to argue about lag

WyzDM
02-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Some times even when i click 5+ times, it doesn't work, anyways, the BEST solution is to get a computer that costs more than $4000

Really?

stickman311
02-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Yea with lots of memory

jli
02-22-2013, 08:40 PM
-_- Really?

stickman311
02-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Like i said, yes

jli
02-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Uh, I don't think you understand how lag works. Half of lag is client-to-server delay, and having a good computer does nothing to change that.

stickman311
02-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Then blame the admins

jli
02-22-2013, 10:39 PM
...Admins have nothing to do with it? Do you even understand how computers work?

stickman311
02-22-2013, 11:25 PM
They work in programs

_Ai_
02-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Ignorance is bliss.

stickman311
02-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Ignorance is bliss.

Off topic

Panki
02-23-2013, 01:01 AM
Why are you complaining about an off-topic post when all of your fucking posts are always off-topic?

As of now, I can't really judge on this lag issue since I've only experienced it once. But as far as I'm concerned, just open another window and play another game or do something else.If your computer is very old and laggy (*cough* frost *cough*), then go outside or eat for once. Talk to your 4 sisters if you must (*cough* Aiman *cough*).

_Ai_
02-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Why are you complaining about an off-topic post when all of your fucking posts are always off-topic?

As of now, I can't really judge on this lag issue since I've only experienced it once. But as far as I'm concerned, just open another window and play another game or do something else.If your computer is very old and laggy (*cough* frost *cough*), then go outside or eat for once. Talk to your 4 sisters if you must (*cough* Aiman *cough*).

Take a medicine, Panki.

uberman
02-23-2013, 02:39 AM
I just played Brock, and he said I was lagging bad - He couldnt kite archers. After I filled a few of his archers with my crawlers he quit.
So I ran speedtest, with all the same windows open and same stuff going on with the other computers (them darn kids)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2528524396.png

If 30.7 Mbps down and 5.7 Mbps up, makes the game too laggy to play, then there is something ELSE not my connection slowing it down.
I just upgraded from 10Mbps to 50 Mbps to avoid laggy games etc.

EDIT to add
When I mentioned this in clan chat, Mohamedkna had a very similar thing happen while playing the modour account - despite good internet speeds the game was very at one point.
Wonder if Brock is running some diagnostics in the background or anything else?

stickman311
02-23-2013, 04:24 AM
I just played Brock, and he said I was lagging bad - He couldnt kite archers. After I filled a few of his archers with my crawlers he quit.
So I ran speedtest, with all the same windows open and same stuff going on with the other computers (them darn kids)

If 30.7 Mbps down and 5.7 Mbps up, makes the game too laggy to play, then there is something ELSE not my connection slowing it down.

EDIT to add
When I mentioned this in clan chat, Mohamedkna had a very similar thing happen while playing the modour account - despite good internet speeds the game was very at one point.
Why did you need to speed up the com if you can win

uberman
02-23-2013, 06:32 AM
Why did you need to speed up the com if you can win

I got higher speed internet a week or so ago, not as a result of this encounter with Brock.

Funny thing I didnt seem to be lagging, my units were moving and reacting fine.

_Ai_
02-23-2013, 06:51 AM
Lol, Brock is exploiting his own game <joke>

uberman
02-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Lol, Brock is exploiting his own game <joke>

ROFL
Thats funny :)

FailingAtFailing
02-23-2013, 10:04 AM

EDIT to add

The amount of data per second only makes a difference if there are multiple programs using the internet (like if you have Skype or Steam open in the background, or if there are others in the house playing, or the game needs lots of data)

What should matter is the ping. Try ping testing to various locations around the world. The ping is how fast your data actually gets there.