PDA

View Full Version : explosion

Scarecrow
03-04-2013, 11:39 PM
an explosion:

http://www.fileize.com/view/a891ebba-795/

this is for an android app i'm working on. i couldn't be bothered shading it, not enough of it will be on the screen for it to matter.

surraku
03-05-2013, 08:07 AM
looks mostly good. just when it reaches the height of its explosive burst, it looks... hmm to many dubble frames? could just be me tho.

Scarecrow
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
nah, there's no double framing, it's just at 12 fps.

well, in fact, it's just all double framed, at 24 fps, but it's the same thing as 12 fps.

Rosie
03-05-2013, 03:18 PM
I wasn't honestly expecting much from you, Scarecrow (assuming that you don't animate) and I really like what I see.
I'm also interested in this app you said you're making this for. What's the app?

Scarecrow
03-05-2013, 03:24 PM
i know how to animate, i just generally don't have the patience to do it without a good reason any more. i also don't have any interest in animating stickfigures any more, so most of what i would do isn't relevant here.

the app is a memory match tile game that showcases some guy's art on the tile boards. flip tiles, match up pairs. pretty simple and he's commissioning me for it, $2000. not much for a dev job but it's hella good pocket money for a hobby

the explosion is for when the bomb fuse timer runs out. it's basically your 'game over'

Sharp
03-05-2013, 03:27 PM
i know how to animate, i just generally don't have the patience to do it without a good reason any more. i also don't have any interest in animating stickfigures any more, so most of what i would do isn't relevant here.

the app is a memory match tile game that showcases some guy's art on the tile boards. flip tiles, match up pairs. pretty simple and he's commissioning me for it, $2000. not much for a dev job but it's hella good pocket money for a hobby

the explosion is for when the bomb fuse timer runs out. it's basically your 'game over'

I was also pretty surprised that you could animate and woah, 2000 dollars? Not too shabby.
The explosion was very well done, I can see that you put effort into the detail :)
It felt like it was a bit choppy and needs more frames but overall, you did a great job!

surraku
03-05-2013, 07:13 PM
ah ok why only 12 fps may i ask?

DanmarK
03-05-2013, 07:34 PM
aw man. . . i animate 24/7 the best i can just to earn $1000, but $2000!!!???? wtf man gl on that!
and on the smoke. . its good for a fast phase animation, but you said its for a game so i think you should enhance the shading of the smoke not just outlines. .. but still ,, it depends on the overall animation style. . i think this one is cartoon - ish. ^^

Scarecrow
03-05-2013, 11:36 PM
ah ok why only 12 fps may i ask?

because i was paid to code, not to animate >___>

I'm not an expert on smoke, but does it really dissipate like reverse rain like that? It just looks weird.

it'd fade and dissipate more, probably continue smoking from the source for a while, leave char on the ground etc.

but i had some limitations to work with; i had to use 100% alpha for the whole thing, so fading out wasn't an option, and i didn't want to leave charred ground because i wanted the whole thing to just disappear quickly. in the end none of the "reverse-rain" is ever going to even appear on screen, so whatevs.

surraku
03-06-2013, 01:57 AM
ah well ok :)

Scarecrow
03-06-2013, 02:03 AM
thanks for the comments, by the way, everybody

Exile
03-06-2013, 11:23 AM
It looks good, but the right half of the explosion seems odd. Look at those three "fingers" (idk what you'd call them) on the right, the top two burst out, then there's a delay, and then parts of them seem to expand farther to the right while the whole thing is quickly moving to the left. It's not bad, just a little unusual, it looks fine either way.