PDA

View Full Version : Archer Micro

jli
03-05-2013, 09:19 PM
So, continuing with my compilation of various micro strategies and openings: this is a list of stuff I've found while messing around with archers in the campaign on the ninja level in insane mode. Perfect level for kiting practice.

How archidons work
It's interesting how the archidon's reload mechanism and graphics works. It's basically like this:
Archidons immediately begin to reload after firing an arrow, regardless of whether or not they're moving.
If there is an enemy unit in the archidon's range, it will raise its bow in that unit's direction. Otherwise, it will keep its bow held vertically downwards.

Micromanaging archidons

Kiting:
The most commonly used technique. Right click somewhere behind the archidon (or, if you're fr0st, press "G") until it reloads, then press "S" to fire an arrow. Repeat. Dodge attacks in a diagonal direction away from the attacking unit or behind it, if necessary.

Reverse kiting:
Less used, but very effective for chasing down swords that got too close to your archer and are trying to retreat. Right click somewhere in front of the archer (don't click on an enemy unit), wait for reload, then press "S" to fire an arrow. Repeat.

At this point I could spew out all the data on HP that i've been playing around with lately, but that's not related to micro. So I'd like to ask (mostly directed at fr0st here): what other micro techniques are there for archers?

Invincitron
03-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Hi reader,

Confusing post to me.

.:Invincitron:.

jli
03-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Hi reader,

Confusing post to me.

.:Invincitron:.

Hi Invincitron,

...Could you explain how it's confusing?

.:Reader:.

P.S. I like this format. It's fancy.

Jombloxx
03-06-2013, 09:07 AM
The most commonly used technique. Right click somewhere behind the archidon (or, if you're fr0st, press "G

I didnt know that u can play in the game with Gs and Ss
My expression
<-----------

ShadowyWhisper
03-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Wait. You fire an arrow manually with S?

jli
03-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Wait. You fire an arrow manually with S?

No, S is the stand command. If you wait for the archer to reload, after it's done, once you press S, the archer stands there and is able to fire arrows. (it can't fire while running)

FailingAtFailing
03-06-2013, 02:25 PM
If you manually tell the archer to move away from the enemy (without pressing G) then press G as it is moving, it'll shoot behind it so fast it is almost instant, while still moving towards your castle. Then as it is moving click towards your castle again and press G.

I haven't tried this but I have accidentally done it a few times when my tank units die.

ShadowyWhisper
03-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Wait. So if I press Defend, then press G, then press Defend, then press G, right? Also, do I need to press ctrl, because that doesn't work on my Mac.

jli
03-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Don't press Defend or Attack, or any of those buttons. Press G, then RIGHT CLICK to move your archer. Never use ctrl.

ShadowyWhisper
03-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Oh. Thanks! Anyone know how to kite Magikill or Allbowtross or other ranged units?

jli
03-06-2013, 03:51 PM
No problem. Albowtross is the same thing. Magikill, you can't really kite because they're too slow.

isgood
03-06-2013, 04:05 PM
when i kite i tell my archer to go back, then when it loads i right click target, repeat. but one problem is misclick

malbence
03-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Use a wide select to select it (and possible other units :P).

DragonFrost
03-06-2013, 06:21 PM
In fact I never use G and S. I just click garrison. That's it. As for other micro archers, there are stuff like dodging attacks, and the usual pulling back injured.

ShadowyWhisper
03-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Wait. How do you switch from the Arrow Garrison button to the screen so quickly?

jli
03-06-2013, 09:02 PM
I guess the lag makes it easier? lol

DragonFrost
03-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Wait. How do you switch from the Arrow Garrison button to the screen so quickly?

What do you mean? I can see both at the same time..

jli
03-07-2013, 07:10 AM
I think he means "how can you move your mouse so quickly" to switch between clicking on Garrison and rightclicking to tell the archer to move.

DragonFrost
03-07-2013, 07:29 AM
I think he means "how can you move your mouse so quickly" to switch between clicking on Garrison and rightclicking to tell the archer to move.

Not sure. I just move my mouse...

Jombloxx
03-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Not sure. I just move my mouse...

ur a weirdo O_O

_Ai_
03-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Doesn't suit his name. He's frozen. How did he manage to do that?

ShadowyWhisper
03-07-2013, 02:55 PM
How do you counter Early Spearton on short maps if you have already bought an Archidon?

Kiting doesn't work, and I can't get enough Swords.

malbence
03-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Kite, make two swords, come home, and attack with miners if necessary. Garrison low health troops.

ShadowyWhisper
03-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Did I do well with kiting? I think it was pretty good.

http://tny.cz/1d878884

jli
03-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Did I do well with kiting? I think it was pretty good.

http://tny.cz/1d878884

Not bad. In the opening, you could have kited a lot more, but overall it was pretty good. When he made the wall, you should have started chipping away at it immediately though, since you already had archers on scene.

ImperialSwag
03-12-2013, 03:50 PM
I have tried this but when I hit "s" the archer just turns around and doesn't fire.
someone help?

thx

jli
03-12-2013, 03:55 PM
I have tried this but when I hit "s" the archer just turns around and doesn't fire.
someone help?

thx

Are you waiting for the archer to fully reload the arrow before pressing "s"?

ShadowyWhisper
03-12-2013, 04:22 PM
You have to press G. S does not work, it only stops the archer, opening it for attack.

jli
03-12-2013, 04:32 PM
You have to press G. S does not work, it only stops the archer, opening it for attack.

Well, S also works. Although G is faster.

However, if you're not retreating but chasing down an enemy, you must use S.

ShadowyWhisper
03-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Wait, isn't S stand command? How does S help?

isgood
03-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Well, S also works. Although G is faster.

However, if you're not retreating but chasing down an enemy, you must use S.

G only works sometimes for me. sometimes it just turns and doesn't shoot

ShadowyWhisper
03-12-2013, 06:32 PM
It has to run long enough to load an arrow, then it shoots.

jli
03-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Wait, isn't S stand command? How does S help?

Well, S makes the archer stand (i.e. not move). Archer can't shoot while moving. Therefore, if Archer has reloaded, S makes the archer shoot. You have to click again to make it continue running though. I usually don't use S for kiting, I use it for chasing down units.

malbence
03-13-2013, 03:09 PM
The archer shoots while moving if you use G, not S.

DragonFrost
03-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Both work, actually.

ShadowyWhisper
03-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Oh. I'm not one to use Archidon, but I better start using it because of the update.

isgood
03-15-2013, 08:11 PM
I've come up with a new archidon micro. I've tried it before, and I call it cross-kite. So basically you kite until the jugger(mainly works on juggers, maybe swordwrath, but not spearton because speartons attack rate is too fast) is too close, then when the jugger holds his ax in the air, signaling it's gonna hit, you run right past the jugger, and since it is facing to other side, it misses.

jli
03-15-2013, 08:13 PM
I've come up with a new archidon micro. I've tried it before, and I call it cross-kite. So basically you kite until the jugger(mainly works on juggers, maybe swordwrath, but not spearton because speartons attack rate is too fast) is too close, then when the jugger holds his ax in the air, signaling it's gonna hit, you run right past the jugger, and since it is facing to other side, it misses.

Yep, that's called dodging attacks. You can also do that with ninjas and magikill (their basic attack).